[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck are OEMs and everyone else so enamoured and obsessed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: shitpad.jpg (78KB, 1170x826px) Image search: [Google]
shitpad.jpg
78KB, 1170x826px
Why the fuck are OEMs and everyone else so enamoured and obsessed with pushing this button-less trackpad shit on everything and crusading against buttons and pretty much any "non-essential" functionality in general? Since I can't use these mushy piece of shit "button areas" on my trackpad I end up tap-clicking for everything, but it fucks that up too by regularly misinterpreting it as a tap-drag and getting stuck in that mode until I click the shitty non-existent buttons again or in some cases restart the system entirely.

This shit makes me mad as fuck, I hope I'm just retarded.
>>
>>57346675
This is one of the few things I don't like about my t440s
>>
I'll never understand it either. It's like they like be bottlenecked.
>>
One finger click = left click
Two finger click = right click

C'mon OP, it's not hard.
>>
>>57346741
Na. The best track pad I ever had was with an HP laptop with lots of button travel.
>>
>>57346675
The worst travesty is sticking the trackpoint buttons on the touchpad.
>>
Less moving parts. They can save some money and still charge you the same.
>>
>>57346741
how about
left click = left click
right click = right click
>>
>>57346835
please elaborate on how that would be superior to >>57346741
>>
I thought everyone on /g/ disabled the track pad? It just gets in the way when typing, I wish they sold laptops without them again.
>>
>>57346675
it saves 2 cents on the actualy buttons and 4 cents on making the moulding to make the plastic button covers.
Not that its going to save you 6 cents, youre still paying the same price + the memetax they call inflation each year.
>>
>>57346675

It's fucking bad, buttons are way better. But trackpads have never been good. Bluebooth mouse is the only option.
>>
>>57347987

So making trackpads shitty is just a way to force the consumer to hopefully spend another $40 on a branded mouse accessory
>>
>>57347987
>>57348001
It's kind of funny but the laptops that have the "2nd" best trackpads are chromebooks. My less than $200 chromebook has a more accurate and smoother trackpad compared to my $400 windows laptop's "precision" trackpad. If you tried it you wouldn't even want to use a mouse.

It's sad that to get a decent trackpad you either have to buy a chromebook or spend around $1000 on a macbook or windows ultrabook.
>>
>>57346741
one click = left click
two finger click = right click
>>
>>57346675
If only we were

The truth is they are all subconsciously emulating Apple but can't get it just right like Apple puts all their effort into ruining the entire thing.
>>
>>57346835
t. luddite
>>
>>57346675
Lelnovo learn from that mistake, the new ones don't come with the clickpad cancer. There are kits in Ebay to retrofit the new trackpad + buttons in the 40 series
>>
>>57347508
This, I did this on my T460.
>>
>>57346675

its to push the sales of both wireless mice and AA battery's.
>>
>>57348145
I don't use Lenovo products since the x20 series, but I have never used the track pad on my Dell M4600 either. They're all shit
>>
>>57346789
This.
Its fine to loose the touchpad buttons but the trackpoint needs physical buttons.
>>
>>57346741
The problem is that on the particular piece of shit I'm whining about it takes an uncomfortable amount of force to actually click the damn thing outside of the lower quarter of the pad where the "buttons" reside for some ungodly fucking reason

It's like they really wanted to copy Apple's clickpad design, but only the worst parts of it.
>>
File: 1474752089914.jpg (15KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1474752089914.jpg
15KB, 450x300px
Clitmice and trackballs will always be superior to touchpads.
>>
>>57348298
If I wanted to browse with a joystick Id use a psp
>>
>>57348362
You clearly have never used a trackpoint. Not even remotely similar.
>>
>>57348370
I have, and its kinda derp.
>>
>>57348536
Which model? HP's and Dells clitmice suck total ass compared with Lenovo's and IBM's.
>>
>>57348298
maybe to shitty windows trackpads
but mac trackpad in mac os > pretty much anything.
>>
>>57348560
idk, it was years ago. I saw a laptop with a red num so I brought it to or-.. I mean I tried it.
>>
>>57348695
I'm personally still not a fan, but that's why we have options.

>>57348695
That might explain it. Takes about a week to really get used to.
>>
File: complex science to phoneposters.png (175KB, 633x345px) Image search: [Google]
complex science to phoneposters.png
175KB, 633x345px
>>57347478
Left = left
Right = right

Left = One
Right = Two
>>
>>57346675
Tap to click has been the input method of the gods since forever. Fuck mashing down a mechanical button when an effortless, gentle tap will suffice.

The only way buttons near the trackpad area are even remotely ok are when paired with a trackpoint
>>
>>57349364
>pressing a button requires effort

Wow.
>>
>>57349364
Nah, I actually do like tap to click despite my ramblings but I routinely switch between them and find buttons much better for dragging than the stupid tap-to-drag horseshit that's really the root of all of my bitching here. It really depends on how you're using your system and what position you're in, for casual/lap usage tap is great but when I'm getting balls-deep into something I always work with buttons since I find them a lot more "trustworthy"
>>
>>57349446
finger and joint fatigue are things
>>
>>57346675
Marketing + cutting costs of making extra buttons.
>>
where are the bloody trackballs
>>
>>57350084
What I want are the old joystick track points
>>
Everyone including Lenovo was trying to copy Apple's trackpad, it is and will continue to be the gold standard. They all failed, the old trackpads were utter shit, the nipple is shit nothing will ever beat a Mac Trackpad. I heard Alienware came pretty close but their laptops like every non-Apple laptops are plastic pieces of shits.
>>
>>57349517
>finger and joint fatigue are things
Yeah its called arthritis, clicking a button has no effect on it.
>>
Because surprisingly not that many use a computer.
The decision makers at lenovo doesn't use laptops, they just look at it and think it is fine.
They don't know what they keys they remove on the keyboards do or why they should spend more money on good buttons.
They shrug critism off as people never like change and only looks at how much money they make, rather than how much they could make.
>>
they're trying to push us all to a unified goyphone architecture by whittling away laptop-ness
>>
>>57346675
I have a Clevo laptop and the trackpad still has buttons. It's your fault that you search for shitty models from shitty companies when you buy a laptop.
>>
>>57350113
>the nipple is shit nothing will ever beat a Mac Trackpad
The Mac trackpad beats the shit out of every other trackpad but I'll take a clit over SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE any day of the week.
>>
>>57346675
I agree it is trash
some anon tried to convince me about the whole palm detection shit
i still don't buy it
i prefer buttons to rest my thumb without having to rely on SW magic to avoid accidental clicks

the only good system is: two buttons at thumb, with tap click deactivated to avoid disasters

i have a yoga tp 12 with two button rows, and i deactivated the touchpad as soon as i powered it on

no regrets
>>
>>57346675
i don't mind it, but ii use the clit as the actual pointing device

i like the functionality it has for gestures (well, just scrolling, i don't think it even has anything else), and think the button press style is okay, left side for left and right side for right
>>
form over function
>>
>>57346675
>Less expensive
>"Minimal design" meme
>Because Apple is doing it

There's your reasons OP.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.