[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say the nuclear holocaust is coming. You got your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Let's say the nuclear holocaust is coming.
You got your very own fallout shelter, and enough time to prepare.
You got limited resources, especially the source of power.

Your task is to build the most power-efficient system responsible for everything, from securely and reliably storing data to controlling other systems. It needs to work at least 12 hours on battery power and still needs to be as power efficient as possible.
Got any ideas? Are mobile servers reliable enough?
>>
>>57342787
shameless bump
>>
Raspberry Pi Cluster and ARM powered NAS
>>
if it's a nuclear holocaust do you really need to worry about how secure your data is? it's not like there's going to be an internet to connect to
>>
>>57342787
>nuclear holocaust
>securely and reliably storing data
Arhive quality pen and ink inside of a firesafe inside of a vault.
>to controlling other systems
Levers

The only thing a server is good for post global catastrophe is scrap metal. It doesn't matter if it can last a week on battery. You can't eat it. You can't kill with it, aside from stab people with scrap metal made from knives. All the refineries got nuked. Major gennerators got nuked. All the power distribution systems are completely fucked by EMP. Fuel for generators is now more valuable than gold. At most I'd have a bicycle generator for a laptop and I'd seriously weigh my future ability to find food against the value of burning calories to watch a movie every time I used it.
>>
I'd hope to high hell that I kept everything in a common analogue format (paper, film, gramophone).
>>
id probably keep my data on some hdds or ssds and just use the laptop I have now (dell inspiron 15 7559) and use it occasionally. I'd get a SAM radio for contact as I highly doubt the internet will be working in an all out nuclear war.
>>
>>57342787
>Your task is to build the most power-efficient system responsible for everything, from securely and reliably storing data to controlling other systems.
You need more information than this as it depends on what kind of information you're storing and what you want to do with it. The more basic the information then the less power a computer needs. If you just need to handle large amounts of text and don't need any networking ability for example you build a custom system with one of the more powerful microcontrollers available today that could easily run for days on very little power.
>>
>>57342787
thinkpad t420 and external hard drives to store manuals/information/wikipedia/etc
>he uses a fucking server to control other systems
this isn't Jurassic park, all your power will be mission critical systems in this order:
>air circulation
>water filtration/sanitation
>food preperation
>lighting
>sensing equipment to measure radiation levels
>heating/cooling of previously mentioned air
>critical data systems such as knowledge archives/medical information you don't have in book format
>"entertainment"
>>
>>57342787
That's a sexy rack.

Anyway, the specifics depend on how much data has to be stored, what other systems have to be controlled, and the details of where the power is coming from. (Are we in the US Southwest and running from solar panels, and thus have a decent guarantee of a finite but not too confining power budget from solar panels and a battery storage system? Or are we somewhere in dim, cold Scandinavia and have to rely on an old diesel generator that provides a lot of power but works intermittently and only when fuel can be had?)

But I bet you'd be able to do quite a lot with an RPi, since I doubt any of this would be performance-critical.
>>
A Palm PC with modern ARM processing and e-ink display. Memory would be non volatile so it can survive a sudden shutdown without data loss and storage would be a mix between mini CDs for archives and a HDD for the OS. Would be powered/charged through my backpack that can trickle charge itself from weak alkaline/acid batteries.
Don't really need anything powerful to just monitor external systems and access a web archive.
>>
File: 300lx.jpg (433KB, 1498x1146px) Image search: [Google]
300lx.jpg
433KB, 1498x1146px
>>57342787
AA-powered Palmtop PC with a good text editor, spreadsheeting software, basic PIM applications, some compilers, basic encryption software, a serial port for control applications and a shit ton of spares and well-kept documentation for it all.
>>
Goddam you guys how in the fuck is OP going to spend the rest of his radiated life jerking it to his 30TB anime collection?

Just help the degenerate fucker out already.
>>
If such thing happened I'd have much bigger worries than computers.

Like, getting food and water
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.