[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 55

File: mQ7Z6oM.jpg (15KB, 388x341px) Image search: [Google]
mQ7Z6oM.jpg
15KB, 388x341px
Last thread:
>>57327195

Stupid questions undeserving of their own threads goes into this containment thread.

Do not bump your question or post it more than once per thread. Nobody owes you an answer.
>>
Ca u make a computer run 7 different operating systems?
>>
HxD gives me a nice pretty graph telling me how frequently each byte appears in a given file.

Are there any tools which let me graph the frequency of 2 or 4 byte words in file?
>>
Seriously can legally buying movies be any MORE pain in the ass?

I just wanted to see eat pray love without getting a lawyer letter and bought it on iTunes like the good goyim I am
It worked well enough but I like taking movie stills and use them as wallpaper but whenever I try to take a screenshot it's all black. I googled and it seems this is intentional

For what fucking purpose?
>>
File: weather.jpg (298KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
weather.jpg
298KB, 1600x900px
Can install a weather bar in windows 7 ?
>>
I am a total newbie and I want to start learn programming. Is every language essentially equivalent, I can do anything with every language, or is there something I can do with say python that I can't do with fortran?
>>
>>57340457
It's so that people can't buy a digital copy of the movie, then record the video stream and upload it to the internet for others to pirate.

Isn't it cute? They think they're stopping pirates.
>>
>>57340491
But I'm not trying to record the movie just take a screenshot. Single picture w/o audio

Also implying that movie is not on the Pirate Bay a trillion times already
>>
>>57340435
If you have the space to install them all, then I don't see why not.
>>
File: choosing_progr.png (1010KB, 2000x2210px) Image search: [Google]
choosing_progr.png
1010KB, 2000x2210px
>>57340474
>Is every language essentially equivalent
nope

with java you can do android apps
with javascript you can do browser extensions

and start with python, you will fail anyway, as hundreds thousands of you, who just go around asking how and what to learn instead of learning
>>
Which of the alternative CPU archs will win? i.e. things like MIPS and RISC-V and POWER8 type shit.
>>
>>57340611
Never
>>
File: 1477849369928.png (6KB, 272x72px) Image search: [Google]
1477849369928.png
6KB, 272x72px
Can i change the drive so it says how many gigs are used out of max. Instead of showing how much is left?
>>
Trough and act of magic and bad luck my windows partition is compromised.
I dont have another HDD to backup 200GB of stuff.

Cant i just create another partition and install windows there or all the HDD will be wiped?

>How do i know it is compromised
The amount of RAM used and what task manager process list reports dont add up.
40-50% of my RAM is being used on something but the process doesn't exist and i cant track what is using it.

Never fall for the "Use the stock windows with no updates" meme.
>>
>>57340620
Well, at least among themselves one of them will stand out. I think it's gonna be RISC-V or MIPS.
>>
How much can I do with 1 VPS (package #1) here?
https://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps
>1x Intel E5 3.5GHz+ Core
>256MB RAM
>30GB SSD
>1TB Bandwidth

Good enough for a webserver? Perhaps just an email server? Better to buy two #1s or one of the others there?

Is this the best/cheapest VPS btw?

OpenVZ or KVM?

The notion of a shared kernel seems... scary.
>>
I'm running Win7 and want to boot from a USB. The shortcut for the boot setup menu (Ctrl+S) is consistently ignored and the PC boots normally.
Lights on keyboard indicate that it works a-ok.

What do?
>>
What would you guys do:

1) Buy an expensive video card to use it on an old computer even if it bottlenecks, because I can only buy the rest of new computer a few months later.

2) Buy the new computer and use the old video card for a while, then a few months later buy the new video card.

Which one would give a nicer improvement those few months before I complete the computer?

Old PC:
>Phenom II x4 955 BE, 7yo asus mobo but good
>Radeon 5870

New:
>Intel 6700k, asus z170-e, other stuff: 55% of the budget
>gtx 1070; 45% of the budget.
>>
>>57340684
i kek'd
>>
Can tablets be used as modular displays? I think it would be cool to have a couple cheap touchscreen displays alongside two main displays.

I'm picturing system resource graphs /specs per tablet, also some kind of expensive multi display stand with expansion slots to add little tablet clamps and all kinds of software and apps. Does this exist?
>>
>>57340474
No, not all languages are the same. The good thing is that you can learn as many as you want.

Java is executed in a Virtual Machine (Java Virtual Machine, JVM). This means that you only have to write a single source code, compile it only once, and it can run on any platform as long as that platform has installed Java. The virtual machine will also protect you from fucking up your computer. However, since the code is executed in a virtual machine, you don't have direct access to hardware and things will run slower in Java than other languages.
>Pros: Easy to learn, runs anywhere, you only have to code once, you can't screw up your computer in a digital freak accident
>Cons: It's slower than other languages and won't give you access to hardware

C# is a language pretty similar to Java (if you can code in Java, you will easily learn C# and vice versa). C# doesn't run in a Virtual Machine and you therefore have to compile your program for each system you want to run it on. However, it will run faster than an identical Java program. You don't have full access to your hardware, but that means you are protected from your own stupidity. Note that C# only runs in Windows.
>Pros: Easy to learn, reasonably fast, protects you from screwing up your computer
>Cons: You have to recompile your code in order to make it work on several systems

C++ is the first choice for game programmers because of its blazing fast execution speed and full access to hardware. It's a steep learning curve, but if you work hard and keep your chin up (and most importantly, think before you code), you're gonna have a good time. C++ can run on any platform, but you will have to recompile or even rewrite your source code in order to make it work everywhere.
>Pros: Fast execution speed, full access to hardware
>Cons: Steep learning curve, You're free to fuck up your computer permanently, You'll have to recompile or rewrite code in order to run it more than one place
>>
>>57340774
Short answer: Get into BIOS and change the order of your boot devices.

Long answer:
If you're on a laptop, you usually have to hop through a few hoops in order to get into BIOS. I have to press a button besides the power button, then restart my computer to bring up a menu, and from there I can enter BIOS. Google your model to find out how to get into BIOS. When in BIOS, look for "Startup" or "Boot" or anything similar. Find the list of bootable devices and put USB at the top. Save changes and exit. It should work now.

If you're on a desktop, you're probably told what key you need to press somewhere very early during startup (maybe during POST). In my case, it's Delete, but it is also often F2, F8, F10 or F12. It could also be any other key, so find out yourself. Once you're in BIOS, look for "Startup" or "Boot" or anything similar. Find the list of bootable devices and put USB at the top. Save changes and exit. It should work now.
>>
>>57341009
Thanks anon.
>>
>>57340790
This depends on your system. I had kind of the same system as you but instead of a Phenom II x4 955 BE, I had an Athlon II x4 620 (so my CPU was a bit worse than yours). I upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD 5850 to a Radeon R9 390, but didn't really see that much of a change in games because the CPU bottlenecked so hard. I upgraded the rest of my computer half a year later. Looking back, I think I would have done it the other way around this time since GPUs only do graphical work, and I would benefit more from a CPU upgrade for more general tasks other than gaming. But then again, just my opinion.
>>
>>57340474
languages are very different but not in arbitrary ways. they are constructed from many of the same ideas, and a few different ideas. different languages put those ideas together in different ways.

anyone who can program knows a lot of languages and can learn new ones quickly. the first couple you learn will be the hardest. just pick one and do it, python is a fine choice. a LOT of what you learn will translate to the next language
>>
>>57341109
Yeah now I'm more inclined to get the CPU first as you say, I've seen that even the integrated graphics of the 6700k can run GTAV at 30 fps, I can't even run that game with my current set up at 10fps and the CPU is always 99% all the time.
>>
>>57341270
*Although that game optimization is absolute garbage, I still can play witcher III at 50 fps semi-ultra. Maybe it depends on games too.
>>
I still can't decide if I should go for cs or maths at univesity when I just wanna be a programmer. Im 18 and already know java since it was taught at my school and I just thought why the hell not better than something that's just not my thing like biology. I stumbled around in python and am currently wokring my way through c, plan on doing c++. Also am kinda decent with html/css/php/js. I really enjoy maths too. Which degree should I opt for?
Math or CS?
Have about 5 months to decide
>>
File: 1466006565.png (304KB, 722x768px) Image search: [Google]
1466006565.png
304KB, 722x768px
Anyone?
>>>57337133
>>
Why does IoT require IPv6? I know that IPv4 addresses are running out, but why does every "smart device" need their own IP?

Can't you just use NAT and/or one central device that's connected to the internet and then connect your other devices to that hub. (This being the case in "smart homes", for example)
>>
>>57341685
I know you can do that with sandboxie, I don't know if it's free or paid.
>>
File: 20161101_204255.jpg (4MB, 2221x2460px) Image search: [Google]
20161101_204255.jpg
4MB, 2221x2460px
Pls help, what is this little piece of shit called (ruler is leaning on it for reference)? It's not a standard usb PCB header, just a hair shorter, so it doesnt fit.
I need to find a USB-to-this-mystery-port cable.
It's a xonar u1 soundcard btw.
>>
File: Untitled.png (126KB, 989x396px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
126KB, 989x396px
Does anyone know what Windows Installer Software this is?

Inno Setup?
>>
>>57341685
You can try to re-engineer the installer file with 7zip. Most installer frameworks like NSIS (Nullsoft Installing System) or Windows Installer are very simple to understand.
>>
I have all the spooky skeleton gifs, how do I keep them dancing in the bottom right corner now that the Halloween theme's gone?
>>
File: 20161101_204931.jpg (630KB, 1075x886px) Image search: [Google]
20161101_204931.jpg
630KB, 1075x886px
>>57341854
Better angle.
>>
my cloud2 headset's mic stopped working and the same constant low popping is output regardless of if its plugged in or not

just wondering if it's the internal cord connected to the headset itself that's broken or the microphone (so I know if I can replace it)
>>
>>57341760
Sure, that is possible, but how will you manage a multiply NATted network?

I work for Miele and we reimplemented the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) for our washing machines and other household appliances. I know what I am speaking about.
>>
>>57341926
Yeah, that's what I was guessing. Plus it's not good business to expect the end user to configure their NAT for all of their devices.
>>
>>57341610
As the name suggest you see more programming if you pick CS, and more math if you pick Math. You will still learn "a bit" of the other regardless of what you choose, but speaking to some math mayor friends they seem clueless about algorithms, programming and OS's, unless they learn by their own.

I think if you like math you should go Math, but if you're just good at math you should take CS since most CS fags fucking sucks at math and it makes life so much easier.
>>
>>57341906
despite your strategic avoidance of photographing the model name (first covered by the ruler, second cut off on the edge)
i've found out what that is, and you can even see the usb connector colours

left to right;
red - +5v
white - D-
green - D+
black - ground
grey - likely shield, attach to ground or not at all, not required for usb
>>
>>57341969
There are already many UPnP devices for end users, but this is a high security risk. We are sure to provide a better and safer customer experience with SNMP. Either way, IPv6 is needed because it makes management much easier and you don't have to worry. Just plug your device in, get a IP address in your private subnet of the internet and that's all. With a /48 range you can assign more network addresses than you ever need.
>>
so if I have a vps and a domain pointing to it and I want to stuff all incoming emails to that domain (*@domain.com) into a database what part of the email stack do I need to implement? A simple smtp server on port 2525 and mx record pointing to ip?
>>
Trying to install Windows 7 on a new computer and I get a "cannot find installed drivers" error or something like that. I also happen to have a CD that came with the motherboard that is labeled as the cd with drivers on it. How do I get that into Windows? Do I simply take the CD for windows out and put the one for the drivers in and watch the magic happen?
>>
>>57340472
Rain meter, look it up.
>>
>>57342088
Ye I guess I enjoy CS more than math, and my interest in and current knowledge of math would be enough to get me through CS
>>
>>57340435
Yes, though you'll need a workaround if too many of them require primary partitions.

I once installed DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu on an old laptop for testing purposes. I used GPT partitioning and installed Ubuntu first. Then I used GRUB's gptsync command to create a temporary MBR when booting any of the other OSes. I set it up so that each OS's own partition would be listed first when booting into it, so that each would always be on C:, and let some of them see partitions from others as secondary drives.
>>
>>57342223
Are you sure it is a installation disk and not a recovery one?
>>
>>57342274
Yes, I burned it myself and used the disk to successfully upgrade another computer to 7.
>>
>>57342245
I wish I was gode at math, in my case I should have taken Math 1 year desu, some of the courses from the first year are actually an inferior version of the Math courses like "analysis", so you don't have to take it twice if you switch to CS later.
>>
>>57340510
What's a video capture but a screenshot of every frame, strung together into a video file?

I haven't tried buying movies on iTunes, mostly because I don't want their shitty bloated program on my computer. So I don't know what format the movies come in or what all sorts of DRM it uses. But I've encountered a bunch of stuff that can't be screnshotted just because of how it displays its image through the driver.

A few things you might try are windows key + printscreen (captures differently and saves to a file instead of to the clipboard); Snipping Tool; and adding it as a custom "game" in Steam so you can use Steam's overlay and screenshot function. No idea if any of those will work.
>>
>>57340388
So I'm learning python and want to make a script to crack common codes and ciphers here's what I plan on having binary, hex, decimal, ceaser shift, base64
I know binary, hex, decimal and base64 aren't codes or ciphers but I see them being used on /r/ciphers a fair amount so I decided to add them

anything else I should add, just looking for ones commonly used and crackable
>>
>>57342097
Thank you. So, how do I connect it using any of the things in the pic and no soldering iron? Or you happen to know the name of that specific connector?
>>
File: 20161101_211944.jpg (4MB, 2237x2427px) Image search: [Google]
20161101_211944.jpg
4MB, 2237x2427px
>>57342404
And of course here is the pic i forgot
>>
How do I go from job application to interview?

I applied to about 15 jobs, 3 of them kind of liked me/my resume and waiting for the next step. How much is the usual time to wait to get a response? Actually met a guy at one event and he said "don't expect a response from us until December". In my mind I was like why tf you need like 3 months to choose who to interview for a part time developer job? (2 days a week)
>>
>>57342404
It's a standard PCB connector for internal connections. You may be able to find a plug that fits or sorta-fits it in other broken devices. Or of course go buy a basic soldering iron, they're like $10 and you don't need anything fancy to solder the wires directly to those pins.
>>
>>57342508
>standard
Phew, there is a chance.
Thanks for your time. I'll handle it.
>>
File: windows on mac.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
windows on mac.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
Sup guys

My mac runs really hot under Bootcamp

What can I do?
>>
If I wipe a W8 laptop and put W7 on it, can I use an activation code from another laptop I have that has W7?
>>
>>57342576
Yeah, I've seen them used to connect pieces inside a device. I remember seeing a bunch of connectors like that with varying pin counts when I took apart an old broken '90s CRT monitor.
>>
File: Apple_logo_black.svg.png (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Apple_logo_black.svg.png
22KB, 500x500px
>>57342589

Btw for more info:

Fans are fine under OS X

Under Windows, they don't even begin to start until it nears 100 degrees C. Which is CRAZY hot.

Why the fuck does this happen
>>
>>57342589
If you don't have the Boot Camp driver pack installed, install it. If your Mac has a discrete GPU and normally uses the integrated one for light tasks, summon Steve Jobs' ghost and curse him out. They made the GPU switching thing only function in OS X (and in Linux since some clever neckbeard made a driver that impersonates OS X to the firmware to enable it). I don't know if it was done to avoid having to write a Windows driver for the GPU switcher, or to gimp battery life in Windows to make OS X look better.
>>
>>57342712
because mac just works.

obviously.
>>
>>57342712
windows is shit

install a fan regulator or something
>>
If weed gets legalized will the cops give back all the stuff they confiscated from me last year?

For that matter will it still be good? Not sure of the shelf life.
>>
>>57342728
the US doesn't do retroactive ameliorative relief
>>
>>57342728
>If weed gets legalized will the cops give back all the stuff they confiscated from me last year?
No. It was illegal when they took it. Go buy new weed.

>For that matter will it still be good? Not sure of the shelf life.
No. It's probably ash by now. If YOU could legally take weed from somebody, would you just stuff it in a little bag and keep it forever?
>>
File: 2016-11-01 (5).png (4KB, 237x89px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-01 (5).png
4KB, 237x89px
>>57340388
Does this mean my RAM is fucked? I have 16GB, but the system is using "50%" idling according to Task Manager, but it is using way less than 8GB of RAM.
>>
File: chrome_2016-11-01_16-50-09.png (77KB, 2560x1305px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-11-01_16-50-09.png
77KB, 2560x1305px
How do I edit what appears here?
>>
Why do so many software developers have installers for programs that would function perfectly well as a standalone .exe?
>>
File: 08101451817.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
08101451817.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
I have a backup laptop that I only use for basic things like typing and light web browsing. Core 2 duo and 2GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04. Kind of chugs when switching tabs or programs. Does it make more sense to move to a lighter version of Linux or to go to 4GB of RAM?
>>
>>57342836
It puts your most used sites there, and if you don't like them you can click on the X in the upper right corner. IDK if you can customize it.
>>
File: mac fan control.jpg (21KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
mac fan control.jpg
21KB, 256x256px
>>57342720
Yes I have got the drivers installed.

>They made the GPU switching thing only function in OS X
I read about that. Mine's only Intel graphics though.

It still runs WAY hotter, before fans, on Windows than OS X.

Apparently lots of others on the net have the same problem, but I don't know if *everyone* has the problem.

>>57342722
I have installed a fan control program (pic related), but it's not great (it's very jumpy and skittish, whereas OS X ramps up the fans gradually)

I would just assume that the bloody computer would have the proper drivers to make this shit work anyway.
>>
>>57342846
That shit is being deprecated. Look up Universal Windows Apps.
>>
File: caching.png (7KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
caching.png
7KB, 640x360px
>>57342814
linuxatemyram.com
>>
I'm looking for a very compact/small overlay that displays my clock speeds and temps of both gpu/cpu. what's a good one that doesn't have issues with recording software and all that?
>>
>>57342814
Look in Resource Monitor's memory tab. Either you're seeing disk cache that can be dropped instantly if that memory is needed for something else, or you're running some program or driver that's hogging RAM. Virtual machines also eat RAM.
>>
>>57342879
I thought it was obvious that I'm using Windows 10.

>>57342921

Like I said, it's idling.
>>
>>57342836
Look for new-tab page extensions. I've seen one that gives you full control over what sites are listed. It only shows sites you add, and gives you a + button to add any URL you want. I forget what it was called.
>>
If a laptop turns off and on automatically what could it be?
>>
>>57342930
>windows
Fucking read the website windows or not
linuxatemyram.com
So?
You were doing things BEFORE you were idling, those things are in ram,so when you go to do them again, it dosent have to fetch it from the disk cache
>>
>>57342930
Still, look in Resource Monitor. That RAM is in use. High RAM use is not a physical problem with your RAM, it's a software problem. Bad RAM makes bluescreens.
>>
Despite deleting/disabling them, 8 BD-ROM drives keep appearing in my drive list. I think it might be from Daemon tools but I can't figure out how to get rid of them for good, anyone know how to?
>>
>>57342963
>You were doing things BEFORE you were idling,

Nope. I have done nothing but turn on Chrome today. I killed all Chrome processes and I was still using 50% of RAM earlier.

There was a javaw.exe running, but I killed it and I still have hardly any memory.
>>
File: 2016-11-01-170204_642x410_scrot.png (16KB, 642x410px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-01-170204_642x410_scrot.png
16KB, 642x410px
>>57343005
YOUR
OS
FUCKING
STAYS
IN
RAM
>>
File: What's cooler than being cool.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
What's cooler than being cool.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>57342921
>i5-6500 (stock cooler)
>GTX 1050
>BitFenix Shinobi with case fan (1x120mm in rear)
1) Are there clearance issues? I don't think I'll need to remove any case fans, but want to double check before ordering.
2) Will this have cooling issues? (Australia summer is coming) Should I get an extra fan?
>>
>>57343024
No shit. Are you stupid?

Isn't it obvious that this is unusual behavior for my computer?
>>
>>57342956
I don't know shit, but could be overheating.
>>
>>57343058
It fucking isnt at all.
Why did you buy all that ram if you didnt intend on using it?
Put in a single stick of 1gb ddr3 and see how much you miss caching
Fucking winfags my god
>>
How come the difference between Fx and Chromium isn't that big despite the latter having so much more funding behind it?
>>
>>57341893
?? What do you mean by "re-engineering" ? How do achieve this, how do I even open that exe setup. When i try to open directly with 7zip it doesn't work.

btw I think its Inno Setup
>>
>>57343087
>It fucking isnt at all.

Wow, so you know my computer better than I do? Normally it uses about 2GB while idling. Shut the fuck up you pseudo-intellectual Linux cunt.
>>
>>57343025
Why are you quoting my post?

i5 w/ stock cooler - this will fit in basically anything.
GTX 1050 - Size depends on brand and model, but that case looks like it will fit GPUs up to 10" long with the HDD bays in, 13" without. A single-fan 1050 will fit in basically anything that isn't low-profile.
You should look at the mobo you're thinking of buying and make sure they haven't done anything retarded like put a tall heatsink in the way of where a long GPU would sit.

I don't think you'll have heat issues with that.
>>
>>57343189
>better then me
Yes, i fucking do.
Please just slit your wrists. You dont know shit about computing.

Using ram is not a BAD thing,you use ram when you do things. Stop doing things on your computer so you can stop using all that ram bucko
>>
>>57343195
>Why are you quoting my post?
Sorry, was an accident. I click post numbers to open Quick Reply, and forgot to delete it this time.

Thank you very much, Anon.
>>
>>57342297
Of course, that was years ago and the disk could've degraded since then, but when I checked the files in another computer it seemed like everything was okay.
>>
File: Capture.png (10KB, 883x176px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10KB, 883x176px
>>57343058
Look. In. Resource. Monitor.

It should look something like this. Above that is a list of things that are using memory and how much, including OS components.

Do you want to get to the bottom of this, or just bitch and cry?
>>
>>57343189
>Shut the fuck up you pseudo-intellectual Linux cunt.
You are asking questions in the Stupid Question Thread.

Consider listening to the replies.
>>
>>57342423
since you appear to want to attach this to a usb header, you could just get four of these breadboard jumper wires (female-female)
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpe.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpe.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>57343287
picture might have been nice
>>
>>57343219
*than, not then, you illiterate basement dweller

It's not using RAM properly. It's hogging 10 GB and not letting me start processes that use lots of RAM. It's not normal. You don't know what you're talking about. When was the last time you even used Windows? I'm 4th year CS btw. What academic qualifications do you hold in "computing" that make you such an expert?
>>
>>57343280
He's just here to troll. He's not here to help anyone. His replies are nonsense. He just wants to wave his epeen around to prove he read the Arch/Gentoo wiki.
>>
>>57343301
>I'm 4th year CS btw. What academic qualifications do you hold in "computing" that make you such an expert?
Dobson go home
>>
>>57343331
No idea who that is.

I guess you're just a basement dweller then. Don't forget to kill yourself.
>>
>>57343301
READ
LINUXATMYRAM.COM
FAGGOT
>being this illiterate

I last used windows when xp came about,i switched full time to different linux distros when vista came out.
I've been working on computers before you were even a twinkle in your abusive fathers eye.

Caching is UNIVERSAL
When you go to do something else that isnt cached, DING DING DING it bumps it out of the cache to make room for the current program accessing the ram
>>
>>57342852
>>57342945
Thank you
>>
File: opinion discarded.jpg (77KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
opinion discarded.jpg
77KB, 680x680px
>>57343399
>I last used windows when xp came about
Over a decade out of date.

>I've been working on computers
AKA you're an IT monkey.
>>
>>57343301
>When was the last time you even used Windows?
0 ms ago. I am typing this post on Windows 10.

>I'm 4th year CS btw. What academic qualifications do you hold in "computing" that make you such an expert?
MSCS, and having tinkered with hardware and software since I was a kid.

>It's hogging 10 GB and not letting me start processes that use lots of RAM.
You're right, this part is not normal, and you should have mentioned this before. Your initial query looked like the usual "RAM use is high after doing a thing and I don't know what cache is".

1. Is the page file disabled? Is the disk it's on full?
2. Look in Resource Monitor, see what's actually using all that RAM. Since this is idle, it may be a background program you installed, or an OS component run amok.
3. Does rebooting fix it? Does it do it again?
>>
File: cs.png (27KB, 413x365px) Image search: [Google]
cs.png
27KB, 413x365px
>>57343301
>I'm 4th year CS btw
>>
>>57343455
>>57343399
Calm the fuck down. Both of you.
>>
>>57343455
How is using windows related to how caching systems work? They are all essentially the same thing done different ways based on the system they are being implemented in
>it monkey
At least i know how ram works :^)
I have about 8tb of ram across all my servers, they are all caching and running without issue XD
OOM
NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
What the fuck is an Abstract Data type?
Is it basically a record/object?
I'm going through a mini project for uni and am confused by what this is. I don't know if they just mean an object/record or if it's something different.
>>
>>57343497
This is argument is golden.
>>
>>57343538
It's just a struct you don't have the definition for in your source file. You treat it as a black box, passing pointers or references to them to functions that create and operate on them.

An analogy would be a book you can't read yourself, but you take it to various people who can do things with it.
>>
>>57343538

yeah but they're just talking about it in a theoretical sense, not really a structure with clearly defined inner workings
>>
File: F-35A Lightning II.jpg (3MB, 2808x1872px) Image search: [Google]
F-35A Lightning II.jpg
3MB, 2808x1872px
What are good seedboxes m8s?

recommend me one

>pic unrelated
>>
>>57343557
So basically a class that only has methods and one that you don't instantiate as an object?
>>
Windows (10) problem.

Recently got my mom a new laptop, blah 32GB SSD where Windows eats half of it off the bat.

However, the problem I'm having is memory. It has 4GB physical but since she's been using it she consistently finds a way to max the physical and virtual RAM. JUST checked it and she was at 7.0/7.5GB committed. Windows routinely is complaining about running out.

What's the fucking issue? First I thought it was Chrome since it kept popping up in the event viewer logs, so I switched her to Firefox, happened again. Tweaked some about:config settings about history and caching, and still happening. Closed Firefox and it didn't let the shit go.

She swears she never has more than a few tabs open at once, and even then I typically have more open than her (except on a larger HDD) and Windows never complains about running out of virtual memory.

Dropping Windows, or at least 10, is literally an ultimate last resort.
Does Windows 10 just have shit memory management?
>>
>>57343602
W10 will use all the RAM if its not being used and will free it as you need it.

But since you are getting warning messages its not it.

Factory reset it or run malwarebytes and adwcleaner.
>>
>>57343497
>How is using windows related to how caching systems work?

Yes. Windows, Solaris, and Linux all use different caching systems.

>Let's consider a scenario in which the kernel requests memory from the slab allocator for an object representing a process descriptor. In Linux systems, a process descriptor is of the type struct task_struct, which requires approximately 1.7 KB of memory. When the Linux kernel creates a new task, it requests the necessary memory for the struct task_struct object from its cache. The cache will fulfill the request using a struct task_struct object that has already been allocated in a slab and is marked as free.

>The slab allocator first appeared in the Solaris 2.4 kernel. Because of its general-purpose nature, this allocator is now also used for certain user-mode memory requests in Solaris. Linux originally used the buddy system; however, beginning with Version 2.2, the Linux kernel adopted the slab allocator.

>Some systems maintain a separate section of main memory for a buffer cache where blocks are kept under the assumption that will be used again shortly. Other systems cache file data using a The page cache uses virtual memory techniques to cache file data as pages rather than as file-system-oriented blocks. Cachii"lg file data using virtual addresses is far more efficient than caching through physical disk blocks, as accesses interface with virtual memory rather than the file system. Several systems-including Solaris, Linux, and Windows NT, 2000, and XP-use caching to cache both process pages and file data. This is known as unified virtual memory.

Operating Systems Concepts 8th Edition
>>
Could I build mpd and ncmpcpp for chromeos?
How would I do that?
>>
I haven't had a computer for about two years and I'm getting one tomorrow. Now all I need is Windows but which version should I get and how should I get it?
I read about a number of different ways but which one would be best?
>>
File: mstsc_2016-11-01_17-45-06.png (44KB, 761x578px) Image search: [Google]
mstsc_2016-11-01_17-45-06.png
44KB, 761x578px
>>57343639
Would the "refresh" option suffice?
I can't recall if it was an issue before it caught wind of the updates.

Restarting resets the page file, but it's literally a time bomb.
>>
>>57343712
Are you buying one or building one?
>>
>>57343599
I've seen the term used two ways. One refers to more of an opaque struct, some object that you don't know the names or locations of any members or methods of, but you can pass it to other things that operate on it.

An example of this might be the win32 HWND type, which is a handle to a window. As a program you don't know (or need to know) what the type is beyond just "HWND". You just need to obtain it from some functions like CreateWindow and pass it to other functions like DestroyWindow.

I've also seen it used in a more theoretical sense, for defining operations that can be performed on some data structure or type, but not getting into the specifics of the implementation itself.

An example of this is a stack. The definition of stacks doesn't necessarily define how it's arranged in memory, how large each element is, what type, etc. It just says that a stack has some operations
push(s, e) [pushing element e onto stack s]
pop(s) => e [popping from stack s yielding element e]
and optionally clear(s), size(s), isEmpty(s), etc.
>>
>>57343734
Yes I paid for it... My provider is PIA.
>>
I made a Bootstrap DE for Debian.
What should I call it?
>>
>>57343458
>and you should have mentioned this before.
I already made that obvious.

I'm restarting the computer to do a memory test. It's installing updates right now.
>>
Strictly between Asus and Gigabyte, which 1080 should i get?
Heard Gigabyte has really annoying coil whine, and Asus has fan problems.
>>
>>57343720
Im not sure how is it called in W10 but almost all laptops since 8.1 is a thing come with a factory reset option.

Is svchost eating all the RAM?
>>
>>57343759
Well IDK then. It's obviously shit because they've blocked it.
>>
>>57343652
>are all essentially the same thing
Caching is caching buttercup. The premise is exactly the same cross platform.
>>
>>57343829
The information shows that different systems can use different systems, contrary to what you said. The information is also over a decade out of date, so it doesn't reflect the current methods used by Linux or Windows. I merely wanted to refute your claim that caching method is independent of OS type.
>>
>>57343720
This looks pretty normal desu. Subtract out what Firefox and Google Drive are using and you have 1.5 GB actually in use. Windows 10 will use around that much at idle on a fresh boot if it's available. It'll tighten its belt if you start to run out of RAM.

Note that you should ignore "modified" and "standby" numbers, since they're disk cache. Modified is stuff that's changed and will be written back to disk soon. Standby is files that are in memory and will be used to speed up disk accesses, but can be dropped in an instant if that memory is needed for anything else.

Does it actually have speed issues, or are you just complaining about RAM usage?

And yeah, refresh often helps, but it doesn't look like you have a hell of a lot running there beyond stock. I just see Firefox itself, and Google Drive sync agent.
>>
File: mstsc_2016-11-01_17-54-44.png (12KB, 394x417px) Image search: [Google]
mstsc_2016-11-01_17-54-44.png
12KB, 394x417px
>>57343815
Unfortunately, that image is post-reboot.
It hasn't touched the page file yet.

Give it a few days and I'll have an answer :^)
But it's just that, it crops up later rather than sooner.
She leaves her laptop on constantly but I have it set to go to standby after about 30 minutes.
>>
>>57343759
PIA uses shared addresses
>>
>>57343880
Well something is using the RAM or something is leaking it.
>>
>>57343796
Memory tests won't help. Your problem is not bad RAM. Bad RAM makes bluescreens.

You may as well insist your mechanic do a full engine diagnostic to figure out why you're out of gas.
>>
>>57343816
They block most

>>57343888
Yep I know. Any providers that don't? And if I could get a free trail then even better!
>>
>>57343867
What watered down "point" are you still yapping about?]
Caching is caching, every program does it, every operating system does it when you tell it to do things,how it is done dosent matter,it still happens.What the fuck are still on about?
>>
>>57343758
So essentially just an interface to an abstract class that handles some specific function?
>>
>>57343815
Factory reset: Formats the drive and restores the factory state, or the fresh-installed state if you installed it yourself.

Refresh: Restore the factory state image without formatting. Keeps your data files but mostly resets the OS to its factory/clean state. Some programs may need reinstallation after.

Full reinstall: Use an actual DVD or USB stick to clear the drive and do an install. This is the most thorough.
>>
>>57343874
I'm not sure.

She informs me when the message of low virtual memory pops up.
She is almost exclusively just browses the internet with it.

Looking at the event viewer for the last time it hit a resource exhaustion (2 days ago):
>Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: firefox.exe (1168) consumed 794447872 bytes, MsMpEng.exe (2792) consumed 124559360 bytes, and ShellExperienceHost.exe (4796) consumed 98107392 bytes.

This alone is nowhere near the 4GB page file limit (only around 1GB), and if these are the 3 largest I have trouble imagining a bunch of tiny shit is pushing it over the edge.
>>
So after an automatic update from based Windows 10, Local Services uses up about 70% of my CPU, and ended the process doesn't mean shit as it just starts itself back up in a few minutes.

What the fuck is this bullshit.
>>
I have a retarded question. My new cheap shitty headset fucking broke after a couple weeks but I can actually hear from them now after I went to sound options and changed the equalizer eitter fully to the right or left. Whats up with that? Can I actually use these still or will they blow up in the future? The mic still works too
>>
>>57343978
>low virtual memory
Did you disable the pagefile? Is the drive it's on full? Normally Windows will grow the pagefile when it's nearing full. You only get that warning when it can't because the drive is full or the user has placed some limit on it.
>>
Install W7 or W8.1.

Have you ever wondered why Automatic updates are the main reason nobody likes W10?
Well there you have it.

But now really, do a system restore.
>>
>>57343978
>This alone is nowhere near the 4GB page file limit
Don't limit the pagefile. Let Windows manage the size. It sometimes allocates space in it for things that aren't currently swapped out.
>>
Is there a list of all linux distros? I want to put all of them on my seedbox but idk how many there are
>>
>>57344042

fuck off josh
>>
>>57344011
Pagefile is set to start at 200MB and expand to 4GB.

It's a 32GB SSD, half of it is gone just for Windows. From a fresh restart and the 200MB page file, it sits around 10GB free. I don't think it's running out of space for it.
>>
>>57344056
The "low virtual memory" warning says it is. At least expand it.

Or switch to a somewhat less hoggy Windows version like 8.1 or 7.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01_16-59-15.png (77KB, 642x527px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01_16-59-15.png
77KB, 642x527px
>>57340435
Yes.

You'll either need a lot of logical partitions or two drives.

> be me
> see this
SHIT NIGGER WHAT DO

> mfw I am the botnet
> mfw I have no face
>>
>>57344031
>>57344069
I just have this feeling setting it to auto-managed will make it consume the drive until it actually runs out of space and the problem isn't solved.

On a primarily Firefox machine, already hitting 7GB of committed RAM between physical and virtual memory is a bit extreme.
This seems like a way to hide the problem.
>>
>>57344076
Install uBlock Origin.
>>
File: 8539378638_070ff70e33_o.jpg (26KB, 340x274px) Image search: [Google]
8539378638_070ff70e33_o.jpg
26KB, 340x274px
>If I buy a used Android phone, will a factory reset clear any possible malware/backdoors or is there some way they could have corrupted that as well?
>>
>>57344076
It's on a legit domain and says it's from Charter, so it's likely a legit warning. Get Malwarebytes (the free one is fine) and do a full scan. No need to use the no-name scanner that Charter got a deal to shill.
>>
>>57344101
Yes unless the last phone was rooted and the last owner flashed them into the cellphone memory.
>>
>>57344118
Anon, he is using Linux, there is no malwarebytes for linux as far as im aware.

Its just a fake adware ad.
>>
>>57344022
>Have you ever wondered why Automatic updates are the main reason nobody likes W10?
Actually I have this problem with 7. It shits itself trying to update and just forever stalls at 0%.

Unless I "cancel" it, wake up the next morning and it's prompting to restart.
>>
>>57340876
It was my understanding that C# compiles to an intermediate language that is run by a virtual machine.
>>
>>57344052
I just want to seed ;-;
>>
>>57344155
That is because a bug where you have to install a update manually.

Also they dont stall, they are still installing in the background, the automatic installer progress bar is fucked up.
>>
>>57344101
Depends on the malware.

A factory reset just reformats the /data partition, leaving the system intact. It isn't a reinstall. The other partitions are just read-only, and without root access they remain pristine.

But with root you (or malware) can change what's in those partitions, and that will remain after a factory reset. Some malware manages to get root permissions and does that.

You can try flashing the original firmware or a custom ROM, which will wipe and replace everything on the system.
>>
>>57344136
Durr, that titlebar. Yeah. I'd say he probably has malware in a VM or on some other machine on his network.

I'd be surprised to see full page malvertising on gearbest.com.
>>
>>57344190
You would be surprised.

Just look at us, we are having malvertising problems left and right thanks to Hiro.
>>
File: 4terrabytes.png (170KB, 1102x607px) Image search: [Google]
4terrabytes.png
170KB, 1102x607px
>>57344069
Switched to system managed, only time will tell.

Image not related, was a few days ago.
Same computer though.

>>57344172
Good thing they fixed it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01_17-22-22.png (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01_17-22-22.png
130KB, 1024x768px
>>57344095
Ah, thanks.

I thought I had it off for just 4Chan, but I had it off for all sites for some reason.

>>57344118
Yeah, I use Linux.

>>57344136
Are you sure? It seems legit...

>>57344190
I don't have a VM, and the only other machine I have that uses Wangblows is disconnected from the network

>>57344222
This is true.

Also, it isn't full page malvertising, I just resized the window because I can't into GIMP.
>>
>>57344266
Also, I got the same thing from Banggood.

I couldn't seriously be part of the botnet, could I?

Maybe it has to do with me running i2p 24/7?
>>
>>57344322
sounds sus
>>
>>57344239
for w7's update stall you gotta install may and june 2016 rollup if i remember correctly i have both of them on my flash drive.
>>
File: SOON.png (25KB, 384x144px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.png
25KB, 384x144px
>>57344350
>>
I am going to make my own small physical media collection, and buy the few albums and films I enjoyed enough to purchase.

What I'm conflicted about is whether or not to go the bluray or dvd route.
I'm aware blurays and bluray players are already extremely cheap - but do you guys think it will ever hold the level of compatibility and inclusive level of support that DVD had?

Should I get it in bluray for the sake of future proofing?

Is it possible to playback bluray on linux? Archlinux documentation has a whole page on this, have any of you guys done it?
>>
>>57344332
Shit nigger, calling Charter now.

They have confirmed that they have a botnet scanner, and it is legit.

They have also confirmed that they do have those warnings.

The guy on the other end said I should be fine, because I run Linux or whatever, but wat do?

I use i2p, is that what may be causing it?
>>
>>57340790
Go with (2)

The GPU is the only bottleneck. With (1) everything bar the GPU are bottlenecks.
>>
>>57340388
I've got a GTX 970 and I am mirroring my desktop to two 1920x1080 monitors; one is on my desk, and the other is on my dresser in front of my bed for use with Steam's Big Picture Mode. How much of a performance hit am I going to get playing games like CIV VI, GTA V with it mirroring like that?
>>
>>57340790
>phenom II

I hate getting rid of old tech too, but there comes a point where it just isn't worth maintaining anymore

get your new build
>>
>150Gb free space on 1Tb disk.
>Run CCleaner (with "Wipe free space" option marked) and Defrag.
>53Gb free space.

Now what?
>>
>>57342223
Well, I tried this and it didn't work. Forgot to add context before, but this is installing from an external CD drive. Tried every USB port to see if that was the issue, and every single one didn't work.
>>
>>57342614
No. OEM keys are tied to the motherboard.
>>
>>57344603
Run WinDirStat and check what is using all that space.
>>
>>57344534
Optical media is retarded
Just download a digital copy
>>
>>57344614
Again, its only the few movies that I enjoyed enough to purchase. I'm talking less than 30 movies here. I have a whole HDD full of "acquired" films.

>purchase digital copy
>wanting to be tied down by required web access or DRM
>>
How safe is to pirate Adobe PS these days?
>>
Can a daz-loaded W7 drive be ported to another computer or is it about as reliable as trying to port a drive with a legit W7 installed?
>>
>>57344652
Why not just run Daz Loader again?
>>
>>57344596
Why not set it so only one monitor is in use and turn off the monitor that's not in use?

No need to mirror anything.
>>
Are the upcomming kaby lake processors kinda like the ivy bridge architecture? like ivy bridge is the more optimized and fleshed out version of the sandy bridge 22nm process so is kaby lake the "more optimized and fleshed out" version of the skylake process?
>>
>>57344637
I mean I could download the raw bluray in less than an hour, if you really want to give them money you can always mail the studio $20
>>
>>57344705
Because of
>>57342223
>>57344609
I'm at wit's end over here and trying to think of another solution.
>>
>>57340388
what do you use to crop screenshots with linux?

is there a program that works like paint? I dont understand how these graphic editors work and dont want to take the time to learn them
>>
>>57344730
How did you made the USB bootable?
>>
>>57344718
If by "more optimized and fleshed out" you mean made to be cheaper and worse for overclocking then maybe. We don't really know enough about it yet.
>>
>>57344707
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that my computer won't try to render something on a monitor as long as it's turned off?
>>
How can I rip FLACs from TIDAL?
>>
>>57344767
What?
>>
>>57344778
There's basically no overhead in mirroring your display output
If the monitor is distracting you can just turn it off
>>
>>57344806
Oh sorry, thought you used a USB to install windows but you are using a USB DVD drive.
>>
>>57344829
Yes. For the other computer I had an internal CD drive, and the original plan was to use the same for the new computer but then the CD drive I bought for that failed, and I thought to get an external drive instead. So far it hasn't worked out.
>>
>>57344846
Why not just install windows trough USB, then manually install drivers?

Use 3DPN for Network drivers and download your motherboard drivers manually from internet.
>>
>>57344859
Because I need to install Windows in the first place?
>>
Does anyone here have some wacky tobacci code that uses FFmpeg?

I need to make it look bad to win an argument.
>>
What's the safest way that I can upgrade my Wangblows 7 partition to W10 without fucking over my Linux partition?

I HAVE to use Windows for a few things, WINE works for most of what I need but not all.
>>
>>57340388
Is it a stupid idea to use studio monitors as my main listening speakers?
>>
>>57344875
I mean.

Download the Windows ISO of the version you want.
Copy it to a USB.
Install windows that way.
>>
>>57344891
If you just want accurate sound reproduction, no.
>>
>>57344892
I'm kind of limited by my budget and my equipment, which was why I floated the question about using a hard drive.
>>
>>57344907
I just want it to sound good with my vinyl or computer audio input.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Any Linux fags here? I've tried to make a Linux dual boot with Windows 8.1 and although I managed to successfully setup the Linux OS - I now am unable to boot into it.

I attempted to use EasyBCD but it said I couldn't configure any options because EFI is enabled on the system.

Whenever I go to the BIOS, there is no trace of my newly created Linux OS, same goes if I go to UEFI.

I would imagine this is a common problem, any ideas?
>>
>>57344944
Hi australian anon.

Did you install Linux then Windows?
>>
>>57340790
> buying LGA 1151
LOL

I would go with option (1), but that's because my PC isn't a colossal piece of shit like yours.
>>
>>57340870
Yes and maybe.
>>
>>57340790

Buy computer first.
Also a different motherboard.

Then buy the GPU.
>>
How do I remove the botnet from Windows 7?

Also how do I secure myself better.

Opensource firmware on my router?
>>
I'm considering switching to an iPhone. one thing I've always been curious about since iPhone has traditionally been more locked down, can you put pirated music on an iPhone easily?
>>
>>57344174
Is there any way to see if a phone was rooted in a way that can't be spoofed?
>>
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40353826/django-reverse-for-with-arguments-error

Idk if getting into web development is supposed to be easy, but I've been struggling with this issue for about 2 days now. I shouldn't be that hard, because I just took an example that I got to work and changed it slightly. Won't work, though.
>>
>>57344957
Haha sorry about the upside down picture

I was Win10 and reverted to Windows 8.1 and after that was all set up I did Linux after
>>
>>57345035
Of course. Just toss an MP3 or any other file into iTunes and then sync it. As for getting pirated music straight into your iPhone library, I'm not sure if that's possible.
>>
>>57345054
Windows deleted your boot partition, you need to fix it.
Use a bootable USB for it.

Sorry i cant help you how but another anon might know.
>>
>>57344883
"4chinners use ffmpeg to make pornographic webms"
>>
>>57345054
what distro did you tried to install? maybe their installer is out of date or fucked up.
>>
>>57344164
This could be true, I will admit I am not an expert.
>>
File: out.jpg (4MB, 4096x995px) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
4MB, 4096x995px
>>57344883
like this?
i="out.jpg"; ffmpeg -r 10 -pix_fmt monob -f rawvideo -s 160x120 -i <(convert "$i" rgb:- | head -c 5222400) -f u8 -c:a pcm_u8 -ar 32000 -ac 1 -i <(convert "$i" rgb:- | tail -c +5222401) -c:v rawvideo -f nut - | mpv -
>>
>>57345079
Kali, I imaged it onto a USB, booted it from UEFI, graphical installed and created a /boot, / and swap partition and then it asked if I wanted to add it to MBR so I could but it because it detected it was primarily a Windows machine and I said yes, then it vanished without a trace

>>57345071
What a bunch of wankers
>>
>>57343740
Sorry should have said, building myself
>>
>>57340388
I'm getting a laptop(Can't do desktop/chromebook combo) for college work+programming+rendering relatively small videos that I don't think would need a huge amount of power. Pls give me all the suggestions you have in mind. I'm already considering ideapad300/Dell7559/Assusk051ux(Which one do you recommend of the three if you got no other suggestions)
>>
>>57345173
Download Windows 7 Ultimate x64 from MyDigitalLife forums pastebin.
Use Rufus to make a bootable USB with the ISO you downloaded.

Then install it and Download Daz Loader (From the same place).
Run it.

Use the driver discs that came with your parts.
>I dont have a CD/DVD drive
Download 3DPN to install your network drivers.
Download them from the website of their respective parts.

Done.
Run windows updates.

>>57345190
Used X220 with IPS screen and a 850 EVO.
>>
Can you have other things(files, music, etc) on a bootable USB?
>>
>>57345217
Big thanks!
>>
>>57345217
>>57345190
Forgot to mention 1k budget, sorry
>>
>>57345245
Here is a link for everything.

>Windows 7 Utilmate x64
https://filescdn.com/5xucppxim3uf/en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.rar
>Daz Loader:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:37041ba60196e8eff7050a801ebe73cedb8c0748&dn=Windows%20Loader%20v2.2.2&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fzer0day.ch%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexplodie.org%3a6969

>>57345260
Dell Inspiron 11 5000 with a I5.
>>
>>57344971
then what's better fancy pant?
>>
>>57345190
No matter what you do, stay away from Acer and Lenovo. Acer computers are full of crapware and whatnot, and Lenovo too (although not as bad). I also have a lot of bluescreens on my current Lenovo G510. I've never had an ASUS laptop, but hell, they do everything else right; Motherboards, GPUs, monitors... I might go for an ASUS laptop next time.
>>
>>57344971
I'd like to know why you think LGA 1151 is a laughable choice.
>>
>>57345311
My ASUS dvd reader didn't work.
>>
>>57345273
>>57345260
Dell Latitude 11 5000 sorry.
>>
Best ROM for s4? Looking for something that lasts for days and looks decent.
>>
File: music player.png (596KB, 855x618px) Image search: [Google]
music player.png
596KB, 855x618px
Is there any program to make my computer feel super cozy? Like rain sound effects, color palettes, anything like that? Also, what program is this image?
>>
Does Using ASRock's Windows 7 USB Patcher change the SHA-1? If so, what crack will work with the pathed ISO?
>>
File: 1477305128633.jpg (42KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1477305128633.jpg
42KB, 1033x679px
To what degree can benchmarks be trusted? Comparing an RX 470 and a GTX 770 shows that the 470 *barely* beats the 770, despite being several generations newer. Is this accurate? Because it doesn't feel accurate.
>>
>>57345439
You mean to fix the USB 3.1 problem?
Yes.

Daz Loader.
The patcher only will modify the installer.

>>57345459
Depends on what website.
>>
Say I buy an unlocked iphone 7. Say I get the CMDA version to use on straight-talk. Can you use the cdma versions overseas in like London or whatever without problems?
>>
File: Intel_Xeon_logo_(2009).png (665KB, 1809x1359px) Image search: [Google]
Intel_Xeon_logo_(2009).png
665KB, 1809x1359px
>>57340388
Aside from being able to use ECC RAM (which isn't that important for a home user) is there any reason (for a home user) to choose a xeon processor over an i5 or i7?
>>
>>57345466
I was referring to where certain mobos don't let you install windows 7 from a USB.

Also I'm a paranoid retard with poor google-fu skills, Where can I grab that loader?
>>
>>57345505
see
>>57345273

You crack windows once it is installed, not the ISO.
>>
Is thunderbolt 3 the same as usb c? I'm I full retard? If that's the case the new macbook pro is slightly less bad?
>>
File: 1477003228689.jpg (16KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477003228689.jpg
16KB, 547x480px
What's the best app to backup apps and data on Android?

Is it still Titanium Backup?
>>
>>57345548
It's better.
>>
>>57345459
is this the GamersNexus video? If so his reviews are the most accurate.
>>
>>57345277
Are you retarded?

LGA 2011-V3 with an ES CPU, obviously.

Dual sockets are preferable.
>>
File: 2013-10-06 20_39_28.png (348KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-06 20_39_28.png
348KB, 1920x1200px
>>57340388
sup sqt
I'm mildly concerned about my job stability, and someone suggested I get a cert.
I've been working with windows for years, but most of this year has been spent learning rhel.
so the question is, do I go deep dive on LPIC 1 & 2, or go for the MCSA and dual MCSE?
>>
>>57345338
Because a 2011-V3 motherboard with an ES CPU outperform all LGA 1151 CPUs of a similar cost.
>>
>>57345501
They're better and cheaper if you go ES.

And ECC RAM is incredibly important, sorry you're such a faggot.

The second people throw out their old servers for new ones that use DDR5 is the second that DDR4 ECC RAM becomes cheaper than non-ECC RAM.
>>
File: wallhaven-306660.jpg (729KB, 2000x1434px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-306660.jpg
729KB, 2000x1434px
My mate asked me to replace the hard drive in his HP Envy dv6 laptop. It had failed and wasn`t working at all, so I replaced it with a WD blue. Now I can`t figure out why the new hard drive won`t show up in both BIOS and windows installer...

Is it missing drivers? Is the SATA cable fucked? Is it HPs planned obsolescence in action?? I have no idea how to attack this, please help!
>>
File: B001F7AHOG-1.jpg (57KB, 602x800px) Image search: [Google]
B001F7AHOG-1.jpg
57KB, 602x800px
Are there any good standalone mp3 players?

My 7th gen classic' died and ski season is coming.

Is some $40 POS from amazon really the only alternative to "just kill your phone battery like a normal person"?
>>
>>57345662
>HP DV series
You have no idea the hell that awaits you trying to fix it.
I literally have 4 of them from owners that never bothered to pick them up once they heard they cant be fixed.

This are some of the worst HP laptops.
>Motherboard failures
>Shitty powerjack design
>Need to remove screen in some designs to fully remove the motherboard
>Planned obsolesce
>FUCKHUGE 90°C overheating, 80°C was the average temperature planned for them

Try to check the WD Blue is working on another computer to start.
>>
File: TECHNOLOGY.jpe.jpg (35KB, 795x795px) Image search: [Google]
TECHNOLOGY.jpe.jpg
35KB, 795x795px
>>57345683
you're carrying a phone anyway, so instead of getting a box that only plays music, why not instead get a box full of batteries so you can use your phone longer?
>>
im going to buy and crossfire rx 480 nitro oc

convince me not to

i just want to pop my dual gpu cherry
>>
File: 123345.jpg (118KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
123345.jpg
118KB, 1100x1100px
I'm trying to fix a little portable speaker addon I have for my GBA.

The old speakers are 8ohm 0.25 watts but I can only locally source 8ogm 0.5 watt mini speakers.

Can I use 0.5 watt speakers instead of 0.25 watt speakers in my small project? Would there be any downsides to doing so? The mini speaker addon uses batteries so I assume it will drain the batteries faster?
>>
>>57345683
The Walkman series are pretty amazing for what they are. Expensive but they'll last you at least a decade in my experience.
>>
Anybody know if you can label the connecting lines in Gephi?
>>
>>57345703
>FUCKHUGE 90°C overheating
Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. Even under no load at all it puts out enough heat to toast a dozen kebabs and feed a family.
>check the WD Blue is working
The WD blue is fine, had no problem connecting it to my desktop. It also showed up on the laptop in windows installer the first time I turned it on after plugging in the new drive, which makes me think it`s not a driver issue...
>>
>>57345807
Sounds like a loose SATA cable then.
>>
>>57345714
I like physical control and expect spotty data coverage on the mountain. And I just prefer a dedicated device, I can leave it in the car or attached to an amp and still have a phone, large storage, and I can be a bit more reckless with it because it's not my link to the world in case of emergencies.

I have a big battery too for traveling, but... meh.
>>
>>57345839
You really can't get any better than this for the price. Fiio has a good track record for pushing out quality audio. I personally have the X5 which is essentially the X1's big brother. But my friend has an X1 that I've tried out and it's great for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/X1-Resolution-Digital-Lossless-Player/dp/B00NS3MRKC/

I'm not telling you to buy it or that it's the best. Just a recommendation that I ask you look into.
>>
>>57345835
Well I`ll open it`s guts up and have a look, hopefully I don`t have to remove the screen just to get to it...
>>
>>57345933
If its a DV6 you just have to remove the panel under it to access the HDD section.
>>
Mainly doing editing but may play some games. Got a cheap GTX 1050 with 2GB VRAM. What kind of games would I be perfectly fine running on 1080p at medium/high quality?
>>
>>57345943
Should have bought a GTX 1050Ti.

Still most recent stuff at med settings.
>>
>>57345893
$80? Fuck, at that price I might as well give it a try. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>57345683
Just fix your iPod
>>
>>57345940
It`s certainly not loose, maybe it`s just faulty?
Should I try switching it over to the HDD2 motherboard connection to see if HDD1 is the problem?
>>
>>57346116
Didnt you said it was working before?
>>
Local store is selling a 64 GB 3.0 USB flash drive for 23$. Should I go buy one or is there somewhere I can buy the same for less?
>>
>>57346137
Which brand?
ADATA? Samsung? Sandisk?

Anyway $23 for 64GB is expensive.

64GB is usually $14-15.
>>
>>57346178
Kingston
I also should note that this is in Canadian dollars.
>>
>>57346204
Kingston is not really topnotch when it comes to memory but atleast is not PNY tier.
Id say it is worth it but its not a offer or anything, just the average price.
>>
>>57346132
Yeah it worked once but then it blue screened towards the end of windows install and now it won`t show up in bios or windows install. It also occasionally comes up with a hard drive failure error before boot, which doesn`t make sense because the hard drive is fine. Back when I was testing the old drive it would at least let me run diagnostics on it but not so with the new drive...
>>
>>57346261
Have you tried using a Linux USB to see if it can recognize it?
>>
https://www.techpowerup.com/227408/smart-announces-the-hrs-m1-ruggedized-mlc-ssd

>ruggedized ssd
what would they think of next?
>>
>>57346276
We need to come with more marketing terms.

Also, what happened with the WD Green SSD?
>>
>>57340388
Which DE is gonna go the furthest for me on Linux Mint? I'm looking for the most compatibility and support. I don't want to have to fuck with it ideally. I figured lxde or xfce. Any opinions?
>>
tips to delete all my profiles off the web? is there a way i can "reset" my google account with keeping the same name? (aka delete everything)

already used deleteme website
>>
File: 1477541196320.png (96KB, 297x307px) Image search: [Google]
1477541196320.png
96KB, 297x307px
i have a old Packard Bell Model 5131c i have PS/2 to USB when i plug in all the lights light up then turn off and nothing happens is there a program i need or am i missing something
>>
>>57346459
just delete yourself.
>>
>>57346459
>tfw you can check out anytime, but you can never leave
>>
>>57346599
>tfw made sure right from the start to be able to leave

So far nothing can be tracked outside the obligatory facebook i used for school and the hotmail i cant delete.
>>
File: 1476075893444.jpg (16KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1476075893444.jpg
16KB, 480x336px
>>57346459
>>
I need five cool/interesting websites to add to my homepage, can be subreddits, new sites or anything really
>>
>>57346654
About anything in special?
>>
>>57346660
nothing really just anything I'd want on my homepage for easy access
>>
>>57346613
I was 15 when I learned what was really going on, and deleted my facebook.
Then some years later, I learned I still had a myspace from when I was 13, which was rather frightening as it still had a real photo of me. Thankfully, myspace still let users delete their accounts at that time.

I have had no social media for 4 years now. I have lost contact with all my old friends, but oh well. I know it sounds cringeworthy, but what is worth more? dicking around on the internet and sending messages to an old friend every few months whom you will never see again, or preserving the little bits of privacy you have left in the botnet world?

What I am left wondering now is what provider I should use for my email. I know that more secure ones are available, but when I remember how lavabit went down so suddenly it makes me afraid.

Do you think there is a security in trying to blend in with a gmail account, with usage strictly limited to email only?
>>
>>57346354
Just use i3 window manager. There is a small learning curve but it is better than any DE.

>>57346459
Look for Google Dashboard. That page will show mostly everything that Google has on you, and you can delete stuff going down the list.

As for other profiles, delete them from their settings pages. To be safe, scramble all data and enter a false email and random password. Then delete the account. If there is no delete option, then simply scrambling ALL data, including email (use a temp email) and password, and then logging out will work. Just be absolutely sure you deleted everything before deleting the text file with your temp email and password.

After about a month stuff will start to disappear off search engines.
>>
>>57346687
Youtube.
4chan or a certain board.
Your Email provider website (Outlook, Gmail).
Your local news website.
Nyaa or anichart.
Madokami maybe.
>>
Is it safe to vacuum a mechanical keyboard after I take the key caps off?
>>
File: 1476202162393.jpg (625KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1476202162393.jpg
625KB, 1440x1440px
>>57346459
Post CP to easily get your profiles off the web. You can't reset your acount on google. The best you can do is use this link:

https://myactivity.google.com
>>
>>57346753
Blow it? kinda.
Vacuum it? better be a weak hand/car vacuum.
>>
File: 1477944096569.jpg (243KB, 1400x2065px) Image search: [Google]
1477944096569.jpg
243KB, 1400x2065px
What's the cheapest computer I can buy that will play Civ 6
>>
first time trying a 4k video on my laptop
on mpc-hc it's choppy as hell, there's even a delay between me pressing pause and the vid actually pausing
on vlc the screens completely fuckin black.
any fix for either of these?
>>
is it just me are is 4chan x not working on safari.
just seemed to stop working today
>>
>>57347112
Which CPU and GPU you got?

Are you using x64 MPC?
>>
>>57344266
>the only other machine I have that uses Wangblows is disconnected from the network
It doesn't matter if it's connected to the network. If this is a legit notice, it'll come up regardless. It just means your public IP has recently had suspicious traffic. I had a similar notice from Comcast a few days after I had a virus in a VM.
>>
>>57344652
It works better. You have the same headaches about drivers and AHCI modes, but with Daz it stays activated. With legit you'll have to activate again.

Just another instance of the pirates getting a better product.
>>
>>57347206
Great to hear! That means it's time for another stupid question, I've been hearing this recently, but what's the deal with AHCI modes? What's the lowdown on them, and how do I make sure I'm on the right one?
>>
>>57345734
It would work, and if anything the batteries would only last slightly shorter.
>>
>>57347166
>Which CPU and GPU you got?
AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

>Are you using x64 MPC?
yes
>>
What is the plural of lasagna?
>>
>>57347285
Your computer cant handle the resolution and the bitrate.
>>
>>57346697
>What I am left wondering now is what provider I should use for my email.

I use ProtonMail.
>>
>>57347274
If you change your BIOS from AHCI to IDE or vise versa, Win7 won't boot unless you first change a registry setting. The same applies to moving the drive from a computer that uses AHCI to one that uses IDE mode.

The simplest is just to set the target computer the same as the source, but sometimes it isn't an option.

To change from AHCI to IDE, the registry key is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

For IDE to AHCI, replace pciide with msahci. Go to the key. The "start" value should be 3. Change it to 0. That's it, the computer should now boot correctly in the other mode.
>>
>>57347329
Lasagnae.

When I eat there I'm always still hungry after one lasagna, so I always order two lasagnae.
>>
>>57345049
Anyone?
>>
How do I connect to a wireless network through the command line on Linux? I am using i3wm and do not have any GUI when using the wm.

nmtui shows that my connection settings are good, but how do I actually force my laptop to use wireless once I unplug it from Ethernet?
>>
>>57347282
Thanks for the tip
>>
>>57347364
Alright. Might just be easier to keep the computer the same as always, but for future reference, how would I change modes in the target computer, assuming it doesn't have an OS yet? For that matter, how do I check what mode the BIOS is in?
>>
File: 10302914.jpg (73KB, 1008x721px) Image search: [Google]
10302914.jpg
73KB, 1008x721px
Will watching Serial Experiments Lain make me an uber leet haxor?
>>
>>57348239
Only if you completely understand everything that is happening.
>>
>>57348251
fug
>>
Hey I basically needed a VGA to HDMI adapter for one of my monitors.

I got one off amazon and was pretty confident it was the right sort of thing, but the HDMI port on my GPU and on the Adapter don't match-up.

Namely there's an L shape on one side of the HDMI ports on my GPU whereas there isn't on the adapter.

How have I fucked up?
>>
>>57348392
Is it a display port?
kek
>>
>>57348407
Uhhh I'm not entirely sure how you mean.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (96KB, 1220x980px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
96KB, 1220x980px
>>57348427
>>
>>57348463
Ahh I see now.

The display port is on my GPU, the other HDMI is on the adaptor.

Why are they different?
>>
>>57348486
displayport is newer, better, etc
the future, I guess

Usually newer GPUs have a few display ports and a one HDMI.. Do you only have one output that is a display port?
>>
File: 1476568520848.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1476568520848.gif
2MB, 320x240px
I'm on the fence about this--is upgrading to 2K for gaming really worth the price premium?
>>
>>57348511
I've got an RX470, as far as I can tell it has 4 identical HDMI display ports and another that looks like a DVI with like an added slot.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36377/xfx-radeon-rx-470-rs-triple-x-4gb
>>
>>57348552
depends, is this 2003?
>>
>>57348558
Features 3x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI.

???
Anon...
>>
>>57347699
You change it in the OS on the disk that you're moving. You check what mode it's in in BIOS setup, typically accessed by hammering F1, F2, F10, delete or escape during the BIOS logo screen.

And if one of the machines boots using UEFI and the other boots using BIOS, despair. It's possible to convert a Windows install from one to the other and I've done it, but it's a bit involved.
>>
>>57348616
Yeah got it family, thank you for teaching me something today anon.

I'm still boned though because I need that HDMI port for my main monitor so the adaptor is still worthless.
>>
How viable is running a 4k tv at 1440p? I wanted to get a 1440p monitor but the screen size I wanted had an extremely limited selection, so I figured this would be the next best thing.
>>
Do the roms for the redmi 3 work for the redmi 3 pro? Its there a way to unlock the bootloader without having to do the xiaomi method? Thanks in advance
>>
>>57345239
Yes.

>>57348658
For gaming, kinda shit due to non-integer scaling issues, running native 4k with lower quality settings or 1080 (or 4k with 50% scale for games that give you that option) will often look better.

>>57348655
DVI or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

>>57348552
Firstly, if you mean 2560x1440, stop calling it 2K, only cellphone makers use that, cinema standards use 2K to mean 2048x1080 or any crop thereof.

IMO it is worth it.
>>
what's the use raspberry pie?
>>
can i make windows 2000, 98, 95 compatible with today movies?
>>
A guy I work with bought some old laptops and gave one to me, it's an old latitude d430 but it has a government warning when I boot into windows

Will a fresh install of a different OS be safe for my privacy, it's a 2007 model and I can't see any non-standard hardware
>>
>>57349091
Wallpaper warning or pop up?
>>
>>57349091
Just bleach it bigly and reinstall senpai
>>
>>57349116
Says "Mandatory DoD Notice and Consent Banner before login, it's windows XP
>>
File: palemoon.png (6KB, 232x52px) Image search: [Google]
palemoon.png
6KB, 232x52px
Can I remove the "Pale Moon" menu button?
>>
>>57349179
That's the "legal notice" field, it's just set in the registry.
>>
>>57349239
Usual Firefox way is Classic Theme Restorer. It gives lots of options to customize the look and feel.
>>
File: IMG_3534.jpg (53KB, 640x504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3534.jpg
53KB, 640x504px
>>57340388
>>
>>57340388

When I go into repair mode for Windows 10, the keyboard and mouse stop working, so I can't select safe mode on the menu.

They work fine when I start the computer normally.
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.