[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Applefags will defend this How can a company think they'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

>Applefags will defend this
How can a company think they'll bring in new customers when their main profit margins come from selling dongles for their new devices?
>>
>>57332705
First party dongles... the untapped market. Fuck Apple.
>>
>>57332705

Steve jobs died
>>
can you guys stop saying dongle

it makes me uncomfortable
>>
>>57332912

donglé

better?
>>
I use a MacBook and iPhone but I fucking hate Apple.

The alternatives are just fucking garbage. Windows is awful.
>>
>>57332984
this.

I'm ready to kill myself at this point tbqh
>>
>>57332984

I'm so fucking tired of Windows that I want to get a MacBook, but Apple is being so shit lately.

Linux is the only choice.
>>
>>57333029

but Linux is always shit, anon
>>
>>57333029

linux on mac air is pretty fucking comfy tbphf

debian + cinnamon + 256gb 2011 mac air is what i am on now and it is literally perfection and pretty cheap second hand
>>
>>57333060

Linux is only shit to casuals. If you're half competent and have an attention span of more than 10 minutes (90% of muricans need not apply) then you will love it.
>>
>>57332984
Macbook and iPhone are fucking shit.

You're a moron and a cuck.
>>
>>57332912
>your industry standard terminology offends me, stop using it
Sure, right after you stop calling those little pictures next to programs in your start menu "icons" since it offends my Protestant sensibilities, and stop calling IDE drives either "master" or "slave".
>>
>>57333029
Try TempleOS. It has none of the annoyances of Windows and isn't bloated like modern OS X.
>>
>>57333446
or, as an alternative, might I recommend you install gentoo?
>>
>>57333464
Far too bloated. It will never fit in 640K RAM or run from a floppy.
>>
>>57332705

But dongles make sense. They're a reaction to the phenomenon of diminishing returns while catering to niche demographics. You might need a VGA port, but it's big and chunky, and most people don't give a shit about it, and even you only need it once per month, whereas you carry your laptop daily. What do you do? Well, you have a VGA dongle instead of permanently grafting the obnoxiously large port onto the side of your laptop. What Apple is doing is just the logical extreme of that idea.

The push toward dongles has only been sped by standards like USB-C that can carry practically any protocol and be used for practically anything.

Why spend extra money for ports you don't need? As a manufacturer, why spend money building ports 90% of your install base doesn't give a shit about? Just buy the ports you need, and forego the rest.
>>
>>57333436
>slave
Triggered

>Buildbot: $15,000. Buildbot is a continuous build and integration system which has been immensely valuable to Mozilla over the past few years. Their award will be used to remove the term “slave” from all documentation, APIs and tests, and also to make improvements so Buildbot works better in the Amazon EC2 cloud.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/10/mozilla-open-source-support-first-awards-made/
>>
>>57332705
>main profit margins come from selling dongles for their new devices?
Yes, those free dongles they include in every iPhone box are a real margin-driver.
As are the $20 adapters for the Macbooks.
We can't let the Chinese profit from making cheap knock-offs, can we?
>>
>>57333079
>If you're half competent and have an attention span of more than 10 minutes
At last; an explanation of why a free OS gets only 2% of the desktop market.
>>
>>57333521

Desktop Linux isn't niche because people have short attention spans, it's niche because basic computer usage shouldn't require any expertise in 20-fucking-16, you elitist shit-for-brains.

I used to think like you, when I was a 17-year-old high school dropout with too much time on his hands.
>>
>>57333498
>obnoxiously large port
how big is too big
>>
>>57333532
Basic computer usage also shouldn't require troubleshooting periodic ":(" screens and things that used to work mysteriously not working.

With Windows it's very easy to set everything up how you want it, but then you have to put in time periodically fixing it when it breaks itself, particularly in Windows 10.

With Linux, you have to put in time to get everything working suitably, but once you have it set up well, it's stable and stays that way.
>>
>>57333532
>it's niche because basic computer usage shouldn't require any expertise in 20-fucking-16

In translation: it's the current year, and I don't want to put any effort in.

Well, if you exert some of that attention span towards putting some effort in, you may enjoy it! Who knows, if more people exerted the same effort, desktop usage may rise!
>>
>>57333544

VGA, to continue on with the original example, is thicker than the entire laptop. Additionally, a standard USB port, I believe, would be thicker than the 12" Macbook. So, yeah, 'singlehandedly dictating the thickness of the entire device' is one undeniably measurement of 'too thick'.

However, it's also worth considering that all these ports take up a good amount of space along the sides of the device, space that, in the case of the 12" Macbook, is used for the terraced battery cells (which, incidentally, is an incredible piece of engineering, seriously, look it up). It wouldn't surprise me if the 12" Macbook, for example, got an extra hour of battery life in exchange for all those missing ports.
>>
>>57332705
>profit margins
Have you seen how much the devices are selling for?
>>
>>57333568

You're right, Windows is terrible. But so is Linux. Which is why I use Macs and iOS devices almost exclusively (except on my home server, that runs Windows Server 2012 R2).

>>57333570

Don't patronize me, cocksucker. I used Ubuntu for two years as a daily driver, while you were probably busy learning your god damn multiplication tables.
>>
File: 1275611938871.gif (2MB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
1275611938871.gif
2MB, 300x203px
>>57333586
>Which is why I use Macs and iOS devices almost exclusively (except on my home server, that runs Windows Server 2012 R2)

Lawwwwwddy

>I used Ubuntu

Oh wow son, Ubuntu?! Diving in at the deep end, eh? Wait, is that you Joseph? You are a wannabe hack btw.
>>
>>57333616

I have a very good explanation for every single choice I've made. Ask me anything, if you'd like.

As for my usage of Ubuntu, really, it's not like it makes that much of a difference. The primary difference between Linux distros is how much superfluous work you want to put in to achieve generally the same end result. I know you guys enjoy autismal manual management of an OS, but none of it should be strictly necessary. Ever. Machines are supposed to make people's lives easier, not add complication and annoyance.
>>
File: mummy cummies.png (91KB, 1613x902px) Image search: [Google]
mummy cummies.png
91KB, 1613x902px
So whats the deal with this little fuccboi here underneath the 1500, 1700 etc. models whats his story? Is this the older model?
>>
>>57333110
You can have an opinion, but at least back it up with a rationale. Namecalling makes no sense.
>>
>>57332705
just get a usb-c cable?
>>
I think I would have forgiven all this shit with the macbook if they still had the magsafe

did they think there was an untapped market of people who want to destroy their computer when they trip over their charger? like what the fuck
>>
>>57334639
>did they think there was an untapped market of people who want to destroy their computer when they trip over their charger?
This is exactly it. Paraphrased from a product design meeting earlier this year:
We're around 10% market share, so all PCs together make up around 90% of the market. These 90% of people are choosing PC over Mac for some reason. What's the first difference between PC and Mac that comes to mind?--OOH I know, Mac has Magsafe and most PC laptops hit the floor when you trip over their power cable. 90% of people must want a computer that goes on the floor!
>>
File: 1473434187427.png (713KB, 1260x2016px) Image search: [Google]
1473434187427.png
713KB, 1260x2016px
>>
>>57332705

They did it with the first USB computer with the iMac in 1997, it didn't have any of the "legacy" options like serial ports, parallel ports, SCSI or even a floppy drive.

USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 is clearly going to be the connection of the future, in 12 months all new devices will be using it.
>>
>>57333653
>Machines are supposed to make people's lives easier, not add complication and annoyance.
Agree. Which is why I use Arch. 6 months of sudo pacman -Syu without single break so far on my current install. All bugs fixed within weeks max while it takes months to do the same for Ubuntu maintainers. If anything is ever missing yaourt -S package.
I laugh at people who think Arch is a time sink.
>>
>>57334639
>did they think there was an untapped market of people who want to destroy their computer when they trip over their charger?
You mean everyone who didn't buy an Apple laptop last time around?
Weren't there an awful lot of them? Buying those cheap and nasty Asus, Acer, HP, Lenovo etc laptops that never had anything like MagSafe?
>>
Last good Apple product was the iPhone SE.
>>
File: apple-dongle-logo.png (8KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
apple-dongle-logo.png
8KB, 384x384px
>>
Bamp
>>
>>57335589
at least they should have put a few more thunderbolt ports on it
>>
>>57333479
>he fell for the 640K RAM meme
>>
File: 1405724706049.jpg (22KB, 342x422px) Image search: [Google]
1405724706049.jpg
22KB, 342x422px
>>57332912
>>
>>57338117
fucking kek
>>
>>57333660
Exactly

>>57333498
Sounds shilly but you are right, Anyway, it's awkard
>>
File: 1461655115490.jpg (21KB, 416x405px) Image search: [Google]
1461655115490.jpg
21KB, 416x405px
>>57332808
Steve Jobs removed and changed ports all the time too.

He was better at selling it to idiots.
>>
>>57335001
this has to be a joke
>>
>>57341910
The picture is not official marketing material, but it is indeed what you need if you want to charge your iPhone 7 and use normal headphones at the same time.
>>
>>57342163
they make a lightning to 1/8in and lightning.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.