[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, Do you guys know how to install GNU/Linux on this ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161030_184618.jpg (985KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161030_184618.jpg
985KB, 1944x2592px
Hey /g/,

Do you guys know how to install GNU/Linux on this ?
It seems you can't boot it with a usb drive.

>Dell CPT PPX
>>
>>57310876
With a CD? This isn't complicated.
>>
>>57310876
i know this is from before your time and might sound a little crazy but you're going to have to burn a cd, and i don't mean physically setting fire to one either.
>>
>>57310876
Use a CD, doofus
>>
>>57310891
>>57310896
>>57310904
I forgot to mention, the CD player is not working.
>>
Have you tried inserting a cd, then turning it off and back on again?
>>
>>57310891
This
And put lubuntu on it
Running OK here (although i just fucked up the sound somehow fucking around with it) Dell Inspiron 9100
>>
>>57310943
last option is PXE booting then if the laptop supports it

otherwise fix the shitty hardware
>>
OP here,
I'm trying to fix the CD boot, otherwise I'll test the PXE option. How does this thing works exactly ? This computer doesn't even have an ethernet port.
>>
>>57310876
That laptop is older than fucking Methuselah
>>
>>57310891
>>57310896
>>57310904
>>57310943
Are you incapable of making a post without coming off a a condescending prick?
>>
>>57311267
it's hard to deal with people who clearly have a solution but are incapable of articulating their needs and shame is usually the quickest route to get people to change how they approach situations and maybe think a bit more critically in the future. this thread would've gone a lot differently if it had just opened with "hey, this laptop doesn't support USB booting and the optical drive is dead. what are my options?"
>>
>>57310876
I once installed linux on a CD-less laptop. I did so by removing the HDD and plugging it into another computer using a USB->HDD adapter I got off of Amazon. Linux isn't like windows. You can easily transplant a linux install onto a completely different computer, and you should be fine. I think I even used virtualbox rom within windows 10 to write an OS directly from an ISO before transplanting the HDD back into the old laptop.
>>
>>57310876
no. install BSD/Linux.
Write Alpine Linux to a usb so it`d appear as external HD or CD (idk the full terminology)
>>
>>57310876
Just letting you know that no recent distro will work on that, at least if you want a GUI
>>
Does it have a floppy? Then you can boot from USB
Or try this
>>57311324
>>
NetBSD on a CD yo
>>
>>57311305
You're right, forgot to mention the CD drive was dead, it was too obvious i've tried it first.
>>57311324
Thanks i'll try that, already did on another computer.
>>57311336
Can you detail ?
>>
It will boot off an external USB CD or USB floppy. I know that sounds weird because it won't boot off a USB flash drive, but these old BIOSes are happy if they can pretend the device is legacy.
>>
>>57311423
well basically like this - >>57311460
there should be a cd emulation mode or something (in unetbootin i think)
>>
>>57311460
>>57311478
Thanks, i'll dig on that way too.
>>
>>57310937
replace it then
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.