[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Family/friend technological stupidity >Browsing 4chinz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (66KB, 617x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 617x470px
ITT: Family/friend technological stupidity

>Browsing 4chinz one night after work
>Dad calls me "Hey, can you come by anon? Something's wrong with my laptop, there's something weird on the screen"
>It's a 5 minute drive to my parents' so fuck it, I go over
>"Okay dad, where's the laptop?"
>Hands it to me and I open it up and power it on
>Screen tears, cracks in the glass, discolouration en mass
>Thefuck.jpeg
>The monitor portion itself is physically fucked
>I just now realize that this was the "weird stuff on the screen"
>"So anon, can you fix it?" My dad asks full of hope
>mfw
>>
well did you fix it?
laptop replacement panels are like 100 bucks
you cna even upgrade it from 768p to 1080p
>>
>>57309284
>at my aunt's house helping set up a new router
>she has a 22" widescreen monitor that her hubby trashpicked
>screenrez is set at 1024x768
>I set it to 1680x1050, the native resolution
>on my way home I get a call from her
>"Anon, how do you make everything big again?"
>reluctantly I instruct her how to change it back
>>
>>57309321
this is why windows now put resolution behind advanced options and only allows scaling on basic display settings
>>
>>57309321

I've had this too many times.
I never had autism until I thought about this.
>>
>>57309309
This was the final nail in the coffin. That thing had more viruses than a discount hooker, my parents would just be better off buying a new laptop (They only need it for light browsing and TV/video streaming) and being a little more cautious with its use.
>>
>>57309363
then install xubuntu on it with chrome, flash, ublock and dont give them sudo
set up a remote access if youre not lazy
they wont be able to get viruses even if they try
>>
>gets asked by mom how to fix the resolution
>take a deep breath
>tell her where she can find these things.
>she says it doesn't work
>I come over
>The setup is a laptop with two external screens
>the gpu can only handle 2 outputs, so the laptop screen is supposed to be off when docked like this
>The problem turned out to be that when you go to the presentation mode in powerpoint, it changes your screen setup, so that the laptop screen turned on and one of the displays showed the presentation.
>As the graphics card could only support 2 screens, you had to do a weird shuffle where you enabled and disabled the screens in a specific order in order to get it back.
>>
>>57309360
No, it's because she used to have a 17" CRT, and when my uncle found her the new LCD she didn't bother to ask me how to change the resolution because it was what she was used to, only stretched horizontally.
>>
>someone less knowledgeable than me asks me for advices about something I'm confident with
>mock them later on on an anonymous Internet imageboard

fuckiNG NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>57310576
>can you repair my computer for free
>come on you're on them all the time anyways
>>
Parents have been on thinkpads and ubuntu for 8 years. They are probably still 8.04 if they haven't hit the upgrade button and on the T60 and T61 I left them with. Router is dd-wrt and reboots itself every week or so. Blocked google ads and other spam domains because you can still infect firefox/browsers. No calls ever and they are still using these laptops. Never had to tell them I won't help.
>>
File: 1464989002470.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1464989002470.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>get a call from random relative
>"Anon do you know the password to my email?"
>mfw
>"Can you come over and fix this for me"
>tell them I can't help with that and they just need to call their ISP for that
>"But I don't know who that is"
>mfw x2
>check the invoices dimwit.jpg
>"I don't have any of those"
>mfw x3
>"Anon stop being lazy and just come over and fix this"
>"No, there's nothing I can do, you're supposed to keep track of your own shit. It's like you're asking me to come find your favorite screwdriver because you can't be arsed to clean up your workshop"
>"WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING THEN ANON, DON'T COME TO ME IF YOU NEED ANYTHING"
>mfw I fucking never need anything from anyone

I fucking hate people.
>>
File: 1476991885156.png (2MB, 1436x1692px) Image search: [Google]
1476991885156.png
2MB, 1436x1692px
>>57310923
>get a call from random relative
>"Anon do you know the password to my email?"
>TFW i actually do.

My email is set up as a recovery email for most of my family accounts, even some distant relatives.

On occasion I get asked to fix hardware problems. TO witch i say I'm scared of getting electrocuted again.
>>
My mom uses like 9 random different cloud services for all our family photos, tax returns, legal documents, academic papers, etc. etc

JUST
>>
>>57311014
>again
>>
File: arte9.jpg (136KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
arte9.jpg
136KB, 960x960px
>>57309363
You buy a new notebook when you get a virus?
>>
>>57311731
Depending on how old the laptop is, there is a chance that the BIOS might have been infected. I think the first gen Core is had a severe vulnerability with the CPU itself that allowed remote executions to be performed at the BIOS. That makes it impossible for any host OS to remove or even detect its presence.
>>
>>57310576
Since it's for free, we need some compensation.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.