[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me to switch from win7 to linux I mostly use firefox,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: 41594-Windows-Logo.jpg (649KB, 1960x1840px) Image search: [Google]
41594-Windows-Logo.jpg
649KB, 1960x1840px
Convince me to switch from win7 to linux
I mostly use firefox, vidya and maya/3dsmax
Also, why is linux better than windows 7?
>>
>>57303479
Linux is good, Windows 7 is bad.
>>
>>57303479

keep windows 7 if you want to vidya.

if you wanna fuck around with linux, partition your hard drive and install ubuntu or mint on the other part
>>
>>57303547
elaborate
>>
>>57303577
How is linux better than 7 for non-vidya usage?
>>
>>57303479
>vidya and maya/3dsmax
Don't switch. Each OS has its strong points, and these are strong points of Windows. Stay on Win7. It's the best fit for what you do.
>>
>>57303577
Better yet, virtual machine
>>
Why do you need us to convince you? Just download VirtualBox and try a Linux distro yourself and see what you think.

I think Linux is better for non-gaming purposes because it's terminal isn't shit and the Linux DEs are much better interfaces than Windows 7's desktop.
>>
>>57303611

a few of my percieved advantages from a casual viewpoint:

Linux is less taxing on your machine, noticeably quicker if your hardware isn't top of the line

you don't have to worry about adware/viruses etc if you're browsing the internet as much as if you ran Windows

lots of great free software without a hitch, and when you are installing you don't have to worry about accidentally "I Accept"ing and installing some bullshit or changing your default search engine

Highly customizable desktop environments, lots of room for tinkering around

It's more fun, and it's going uphill. I think Microsoft is pushing towards the smartphoneization of personal computers. I thought 8 was atrocious, and the computers at work run 10 and although it's better than 8, go click solitaire and see what I'm talking about. Absolutely going to shit, turning PC's into TV tier shit for lowest common denominator types

I still have Windows 7 on my main desktop for using recording software and Amplitube specifically, a guitar effect thing that I really like that isn't on Linux, but I did everything in my power to keep it from auto updating to 10, and eventually you won't be able to put 7 on new machines bc Microsoft has hardware companies by the balls

so you should learn Linux now bc if you are a computer guy you'll probably get sick of MS's shit/windows eventually
>>
>>57303479
for video games it isn't
but its not the >nogamz! meme either, you can run most things easily on wine that don;t already have linux versions (which many do including Steam)

other than that Linux is better in every way than Windows.
>>
>>57303758
>noticeably quicker if your hardware isn't top of the line
and if it is you can turn it into a beast.
I have Linux on my desktop and holy fuck I can feel the power.

also Unix based is always better.
>>
>>57303695
Not for vidya, maya or 3dsmax. All these use the GPU a lot, and GPU virtualization is ass.

You could use PCI passthrough on KVM, but use of the GPU is exclusive, not windowed, and it just adds an extra layer of complexity when you're just going to use Windows for everything anyway.
>>
>>57303479
You should stay with Windows 7.

t. Linux user
>>
>>57303796
Use blender with cycles. I render nearly everything with my GPU and it works just fine. Sure it's different, but it doesn't lack anything that Maya has.
>>
File: 1475923410316.jpg (3MB, 3500x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1475923410316.jpg
3MB, 3500x2300px
>>57303796
>>
>>57303580
Just try it, it's free
>>
>>57303479
>Firefox
Works in Linux
>Autodesk maya
Works in Linux
>Why Linux is better than windows 7
1. Microsoft doesn't give a fuck what you think, so they literally blocked down next-gen CPUs windows 10 only.
2. Windows 7's support ends in 3 years
3. Linux is insanely more customisation than windows
4. Any software you may miss can be run through an XP virtual machine.
5. It is more likely that you run into malware in your windows machine.
6. It's free, open source and community based.
>>
>>57303479
If you need someone else to do the work for you, you should just stick with win 7.
>>
>>57303479
>maya/3dsmax
>linux
lmao.

but still, win7 is bad and old. upgrade to win8 or os x
>>
>>57306914
maya works in linux you mongo
>>
>>57303577
>ubuntu
>mint
debian is the better starting distro
arch is the patrician choice
>>
>>57303479

If you do professional development/engineering work, Windows is by far the superior operating system. Plenty of proprietary software in the engineering world is written almost exclusively for Windows, which if yo use 3DSMax on a regular basis, you probably already know.

Linux is great if you're a programmer/security professional/tech/IT. It's not really that great for the engineering world simply because of how software is developed for engineering firms to be "easy to use" for engineers. Understand that this typically isn't a concern in the pure computing fields, since something lacking a nice GUI, or lacking a lot of simplicity isn't necessarily a bad thing for most tech professionals.

For your professional work, stay with Windows. Don't even bother trying to fuck around with Linux UNLESS you're interested in it for personal computing.
>>
You'd think with how good you nerds say Linux is they would have made it capable of running games and shit properly by now instead of a huge fuck around for shit quality if it even works.
>>
>>57303838
Fug. I have the 4690k. So i cant do this? Damn you gnu/Linux
>>
>>57303479
don't bother with using linux unless you have a need for it or want to start a new hobby
if you're curious just do ubuntu wubi install
>>
>>57307348

It's not that Linux isn't capable of playing games, it's that the video game business is a BUSINESS and they develop for Microsoft Windows because that's where the money is

anybody shilling for Linux telling you it's a decent platform for video game playing is lying through their teeth. PC gaming is a Windows thing and will continue to be a Windows thing for the foreseeable future

and play through gpu, play on linux, wine and all that shit

just cut it out. if you want to play video games and you're a freetard pirate Windows 7 guys it's not hard
>>
>>57303827
If he's working as a 3D artist, it may not be his choice what software he uses.
>>
>>57306914
>osx
>upgrade
>>
>>57307773
os x is the peak of the os at the moment
>>
>>57303668
/thread
>>
>>57303479
>current year
>still using win7
Just get fucking Win10 and stop using shitty /g/ meme operating systems. And if you want to play vidya then forget about fucking linux.
>>
gnu/linux is good for programmers and people who like to adapt their system to fit a special need.
I spend most my time with a browser and a text editor, so it is really good for that.
I like to spend a lot of time optimizing my workflow, creating automatization for trivial tasks and stuff like that.
I don't know anything about the work you do, so I cannot bring any examples that is useful for you, but I am sure that there is things that you are aware of which is done as a repetitive sequence. These things can be automated, so your life becomes easier.
A good example is multitasking.
On windows, this is terrible, you can barely work with more than one application open per physical screen, but with gnu/linux, you can easily work with a lot more.
Maybe they have fixed it with windows 10, but they are usually a decade or two behind gnu/linux when it comes to basic features,
>>
>>57303479
Just use VirtualBox and install any Toy OS
>>
I use Linux because I'm a NEET with too much time on my hands, and it's an interesting hobby. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who just wants things to work though.
>>
>>57303479
>Convince me to switch from win7 to linux

Switching is silly. Adding can be useful. An OS is a tool, so I add tools. Remember you are on /b/ so OS trolls abound. (All 4chan is /b/)

Ignore anyone who is passionate about OS or apps because passion over such trifles is the mark of a sperglord.

You can run Linux in a VM to see if it serves your wants. You can run many distros in many VMs. You don't need Linux on bare metal.
>>
>>57303479
You don't switch from Windows to Linux, they are not similar tools so you have to learn how to use it before you decide with an unbiased opinion.
The problem is that dumb people jump right into it assuming they know what they are doing, only to fail miserably and come back to /g to shitpost because they can't take the fact that maybe they are not geniuses.
>>
>>57308821
this
>leenux sux cuz i could not instal muh cowa doody .exe!1
>>
>>57307826
Definitely. Which is why it's a shame that Apple are being so pants on head retarded with their hardware right now.
>>
>>57307424
Intel's fault
>>
>>57308403
Ubuntu LTS
>>
>>57309109
>the only game he knows is cowa doody
poor little kid
>>
>>57307424
That's Intel's fault for not including VT-d.
>>
Can you emulate PS1/PS2/Wii games on arch? Most of my backlog is there and I'm sick of W8.1 fucking me over on a daily basis.
>>
>>57303479
just upgrade to new windows, if you don't care about coding or freedoms you have no reason to switch, esp. if you play vidya or use software unavailable on linux.
However feel free to do so if you want to ditch vidya for programming or something.
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
>>57303479
>vydia and maya/3dsmax
Keep your Windows homie.
>>
>>57303479
>convince me to switch to an OS which does not support vidya and 3ds max
>>
>>57312430
>PS1
Retroarch
>PS2
Not sure if there is an emulator yet
>Wii
Dolphin should have a GNU/Linux port
>>
File: 20161031_071138.png (529KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161031_071138.png
529KB, 1440x2560px
>>57310995
>>57312361
Actually had a look on Ark. Is that the thing? I should be able to do it then?
>>
>>57303479 (part 1)
I have been an exclusive Linux user for 8+ years at this point. Originally started with Ubuntu, but I'm now on Mint and Debian. I enjoy it and wouldn't go back. I like the customizablity and tinkerability of everything. If you're a programmer, Linux has a far superior development environment. I like the software respository model, where you get all your software from one place, and the automatic updates update *everything*, not just the OS. And I like being able to go weeks and months at a time without rebooting. The only thing you need to reboot for is kernel updates, and with live kernel patching, even that's going to go away in the next few years. BTW, the Linux version of Firefox is available as a 64-bit version, meaning it can scale up better than the 32-bit version you're stuck with on Windows.

For gaming, you have to give up on the idea of playing all the latest games. However, there *are* games on Linux. Ever since Steam came to Linux, we've been getting a lot of them. I find that there are plenty enough games for Linux to occupy my time. However, if you have a specific game in mind that you want to play, you might be disappointed. (IMO, WINE isn't worth the trouble.) Before you pull the trigger on Linux, check out the Linux calalog on Steam, GoG, etc., and make sure there's enough there for you to be satisfied.
>>
>>57303479
>>57314157 (part 2)
I won't pretend there are no issues or brokenness. For example, on Mint 18, Bluetooth audio is now broken (used to work on Mint 17.) The headphone out doesn't work on my laptop (no problem for me since I use a USB DAC anyway.) The wifi driver for my particular laptop does not survive a suspend-resume cycle: it works fine until you suspend, and then after that you have to use a USB dongle or reboot. There is no working driver for turning off the LEDs and keyboard backlight, so they're just always on. These types of issues tend to get resolved with time, as the kernel gets updated.

Usually the best hardware support is found either on desktop computers, where the hardware is a lot simpler, or on older laptops. Putting Linux on a brand new laptop is really for the foolish or brave (like me.) For beginners I recommend that you pick a laptop around 2 years old for Linux. A brand new desktop should be OK though.

If you are currently happy with Windows 7, then there's no reason to switch. Why change something that already works for you?
>>
>>57303479
Nobody uses maya on windows. Brutal
>>
>>57313137
>>57312430
Can confirm that Dolphin works fine on Linux. PCSX2 is a PS2 emulator that has a Linux version.
>>
>>57313795
Yes, just make sure your motherboard supports it and that it's enabled in your BIOS.
>>
>>57303479
Dual Boot, you dumb pajeet.
>>
>>57307826
>what is 10.6.8
>>
>>57303479
You don't have to switch. Experiment with linux and when you find one you like load your windows seven in a virtual machine. Having done that you'll have the potential of the best of both worlds and lots of options for flow useability. I've been doing it for a year now with lubuntu and win7 and win2000 in vm's. Using win2000 is nice with a cpu running at least 4 times as fast as it was designed. Even the ram drives work in vm so my old software cooks along and I can batch jobs and surf the web while on linux while it's working. Also if the windows vm's don't want to play well I can just 'x' out of them and start them over again. Vm's can be cloned as well for backups instead of having to rely on the 'last best configuration' etc and you can keep the windows vms 'off line' too for added security.

I like it, but I can't imagine doing one or the other and making myself choose just one. That's like having just one bicycle.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.