[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows 10 is botnet, linux can't run solidworks well enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Windows-10-Linux[1].jpg (21KB, 570x295px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-Linux[1].jpg
21KB, 570x295px
Windows 10 is botnet, linux can't run solidworks well enough for my job.

Can I run windows 10 without any networking, but passthrough my network adapter to a linux VM? That way I can use solidworks and the other software I need natively, and anything I want to do with linux will run fine in the VM.
>>
>>57303029
wtf

or optionally you can leverage iommu and passthru all the garbage hardware you need for your shitty win10 vm.
>>
>>57303029

You can run a Windows VM through linux with almost identical to native performance using GPU passthrough.

You'd be better off doing that instead.
>>
>>57303052
I've tried that. Maybe it works well for gaming, but solidworks gets unbearably sluggish with decent size assemblies that way. Natively, it only gets sluggish with the biggest assemblies I have.
>>
>>57303074
were you using huge pages?
>>
>>57303074

That's interesting, did youfollow a tutorial like https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3lno0t/gpu_passthrough_revisited_an_updated_guide_on_how/

Not doubting you that it runs slow compared to native btw, that's unfortunate if so
>>
>>57303090
as in page files?
I have 32GB of ram, and gave like 26 or something to the windows VM, it shouldn't have been using page files at all. I would think the issue is that the CPU doesn't get passed through well enough, or something?
>>
>>57303143
no. pages are probably too small for a vm and what happened is all the userspace page lookups were killing your VM when it was doing super memory intensive ops.

for KVM you can create special memory pools that don't use the same page allocation mechanism for userspace applications so you eliminate some of that overhead.

in essence they are like "super huge" pages.
Howeve,r they have to be preallocated and cannot be used for regular userspace stuff.

....nevermind it looks like they completely changed hugepages and it's some kind of block device and systemdicks thing now.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KVM#Enabling_huge_pages

I would try that along with iommu, as well.
>>
>>57303143
also pagefiles aren't really pagefiles...
paging in the OS sense is a security risk.

they are more like swap files since windows is swapping, but windowsisms and what not i guess....
>>
>>57303234
But is it possible to passthrough the networking with a windows host if the windows host isn't connected to the network?
>>
>Windows 10 is botnet

So fucking what? Why, PRECISELY, does that matter in terms of work? Just do your fucking job on native Windows to get paid then do weebshit on a Linux VM or another PC.

How do people with jobs not have many PCs to choose from?
>>
>>57303280
uh... I guess.

if windows has some virtual PCI bus, kernel mechanism that works with IOMMU, you could attach the network device to it and give it to the vm only....
>>
>>57303296
I work from home. My computer costs like 2 grand because it needs to be able to handle full assembly lines for a major auto manufacturer. I do "on call" sort of work, so it's very convenient for me to always be a couple clicks away from having the models in front of me.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.