[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I install Debian in a virtual machine? Are there any reasons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Debian.png (59KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
59KB, 775x1024px
Should I install Debian in a virtual machine? Are there any reasons not to do so and choose a different distribution?
>>
no you should install a kill yourself instead
>>
>Should I install Debian in a virtual machine?
If you want to.

>Are there any reasons not to do so and choose a different distribution?
Depends. What are you using the VM for?
>>
>>57302517
>Depends. What are you using the VM for?
Just to use and learn Linux. Nothing serious.
>>
>Should I install Debian in a virtual machine?
No

>Are there any reasons not to do so and choose a different distribution?
Yeah, Debian is utter dog shit. Install Arch.
>>
>>57302750
>Debian is utter dog shit
Reasons?
>>
>>57302502
hey that's a good one, anon.
>>
install slackware
>>
>>57302502
i enjoyed this post
>>
why doesn't wifi ever work on debian
why would i use it over ubuntu if it can't even configure wifi on its own
>>
>>57304123
>why doesn't wifi ever work on debian
usually missing firmware. use i.e. firmware-8.6.0-amd64-netinstall.iso instead of the debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinstall.iso if you plan to use wifi.
>why would i use it over ubuntu
how much do you trust a company that included spy-/adware in their default desktop?
>it can't even configure wifi on its own
it can configure it just fine, but it needs the firmware
>>
>>57304123
>>57304160
This is sort of unrelated but the last time I tried to install Debian from a USB after setting stuff up for like 15 minutes it told me I needed to insert a CD to install it
I'm pretty sure I was using the right .iso, how come it wouldn't install from the USB?
>>
>>57302490
What VM are you gonna use, OP? I want to do the same as you but can't decide on the VM.
>>
>>57304217
I was using VirtualBox up to this point but I will try VMware Player. I don't know if it's better.
>>
>>57304160
i just tried installing the firmware edition and it still doesn't work
i just don't understand why i would want to go through the hassle of this. it goes beyond wanting something that "just werks." i don't mind needing to learn things to make my computer function the way i want it to, but when it can't do something as basic as connect to the internet i just don't see the point in going though that gauntlet
>>
>>57304198
sounds like you installed from disk1, not netinstall. disk sets are only meant for offline installs, and you'll need at least all disks that contain packages you're going to install - which means that in the worst case, you'll need the whole set.

use the netinstall iso instead if you have internet during the installation. if you did (and didn't unmount the USB drive while installing), you probably have found an installer bug.

CD or DVD or USB drive shouldn't matter, anything that can be mounted can be used as a package source during installation.

>>57304280
>it still doesn't work
does it detect the card, i.e. does it show up in lspci? do you get error messages (missing firmware, driver crash) in dmesg? is the wifi kinda working but cannot connect to your ap for some reason (listed as DOWN in 'ip addr show' or 'ifconfig -a')?
>>
>>57304280
>i just don't understand why i would want to go through the hassle of this
oh, this is just another b8 thread to conclude it sucks
>>
Use lxd
>>
>>57304280
Most likely installed it on a VirtualBox
You need additional extensions to VirtualBox for the wifi to work.
>>
>>57302490
1. Debian has an attitude. It will tell you what and what not to install
2. It is not as stable as it used to be.
3. It has systemd.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.