[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, a transistor chipped off of my gtx 1060 and now it won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: PicsArt_10-29-10.10.29.jpg (588KB, 2364x1330px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_10-29-10.10.29.jpg
588KB, 2364x1330px
Hey /g/, a transistor chipped off of my gtx 1060 and now it won't display anything and fans won't turn on. The bios lights work though. Is it possible to solder the transistor back? I managed to find it inside my pc case.
>>
>>57301615
Of course it is. Just solder that bitch back on.
>>
>>
Solder it back on or just RMA it and don't mention it fell off.
>>
>>57301615
You are the goldfinger guy again?
>>
>>57301615
>transistor chipped off
Literally how?
>>
>>57301615

Send it to Louis Rossmann.
>>
>>57301671
I'm sorry?
>>
>>57301698
No Louis Rossmann in Brazil unfortunately.
>>
>>57301714

>He just streamed live like two hours ago from his shop in NYC
>somehow in Brazil already.
>>
File: PicsArt_10-29-10.23.12.jpg (821KB, 2364x1330px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_10-29-10.23.12.jpg
821KB, 2364x1330px
Here's another pic I took
>>
>>57301698
Louis doesn't repair things that doesn't make him money.

Mind you, if you have the exact location of it pointed out, pay all the shipping costs and give him $10 for the 15 seconds it takes his soldering iron to heat up and tap that bitch, he might do it.
>>
>>57301615
here's what you do, since i assume you have no rework experience and have no equipment, go to the hardware store and buy a hitachi hair dryer for removing paint, there is a model that has temperature control, these are fantastic for reflowing solder because the fan can be turned down to almost off and it's a $40 tool you'll use a lot once you have it. next is to pickup a tube of SMD solder paste, ebay or local electronics stores will have this, also get some electronics grade flux, not shit for plumbing, and a bottle of isopropyl 98% or better(chemist/electronics store/you already have some if you wear glasses).

step one, set out all the tools and parts, clean the surface where the tranny came off with a small amount of isopropyl and let it dry, now apply a layer of flux covering all the pads, now heat the surounding area to 150 deg C with the hair dryer, and proceed to heat the localized area to 280 deg C, the existing solder should reflow and become smooth

step two, apply solder paste on top of each pad, half as high as the pad is wide, now place the component in the correct orientation(copy the one to the left) and reheat the localized area to 280 deg C and as soon as the solder stops bubbling or the flux becomes dark, stop

step three, fully disassemble the gpu to just the PCB, wash it in warm soapy water and use a soft brush to scrape the flux from the area you reflowed. pat semi dry, now soak the entire PCB in isopropyl and leave in the sun to dry, you can also use your kitchen oven but only if it's electric to speed up the drying, max temp of 80 deg C.
>>
>>57301615
Make sure you have an adjustable soldering iron, or a heat gun.
>>
>>57302084
Neither of those is required for such a quick job.

Just get some leaded solder, add some to the pads, place the transistor on and reflow the pads.
>>
>>57301723
>reading compression
>>
>>57301714
Como conseguiu tal proeza?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.