[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to tell you about what I have been doing these last two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg (13KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg
13KB, 500x314px
I have to tell you about what I have been doing these last two past days. Buckle up kids.

I noticed that my ubuntu at home was lagging quite a few. At random times, in average every 10 sec, the mouse cursor was freezing for between 0.1 and 3 seconds. This was very annoying. I couldnt aim anything without having a lag at every cursor movement.
I noticed that it was happening more often when Chromium was open. So I opened `htop`, hoping I would spot an evil program that eats all my CPU. Well of course, Chromium was the biggest CPU consumer, no surprise. But there was no particular peak when the lag was occuring. Maybe it wasnt Chromium's fault afterall. Nothing relevant in `/var/log/xxx` either...
So I spent a few hours on forums, searching for 'ubuntu random mouse freeze'. Found couple of ideas. Most answer was about updating GPU driver. So I gave it a try. Ubuntu seems to use a homemade driver called `nouveau`, and I have the choice to switch to nvidia proprietary driver. Rebooted the computer. Still the same lag, nothing changed.
So maybe my nvidia driver version was too old. So I fetched the last version available, and attempted a manual installation. Rebooted the computer. Oops, the computer wasnt booting anymore. Cannot even get to a prompt. I just f***ed my system up...
Ok fine, fortunatelly I didnt have important data on that disk. "Fuck Ubuntu, stupid distro full of bugs". So I decided to try a Debian. It has been quite a long time since the last time I used Debian. Maybe in the meantime it got better. Ok let's install it.
>>
After installation, I realized how old Debian is, nothing changed since last time I used it. My double monitor wasnt even recognized. "Ok, screw Debian too... Ok let's try Fedora, since it's not Debian based, maybe things will be nicer there".
New installation. Fresh computer. Shiny Fedora, it was beautiful actually. I was surprised. And... the mouse didnt lag!!!! So I decided to stick to Fedora, which seems to be compatible with all my hardware. I spend a few hours reinstalling all my useful programs. After a few hours of happy usage, the mouse...lagged... again.... O-M-G, I was pissed.
So... maybe it wasnt Ubuntu's fault, but something in my hardware that doesnt play well with any Linux.
Fair enough, let's install again Ubuntu Mate, and once installed, try to nail down the actual problem...
Ok I installed a fresh version of Ubuntu Mate. Back to my favorite distro. As expected, the lag was still here, specially when running Chromium. Chromium definitly had something to do with that lag...
So I installed Chrome instead, to see if it makes any difference. No difference, same lag.
I search just in case `ubuntu chromium lag`, and found several topics, which suggest to enable the GPU acceleration or disable the vsync in the advanced settings. Which I did, without any result.
I finally found a good lead: one of the forum member noticed that the lag only happens when running chromium in a secondary monitor, which I have. This definitly smelled like a similar case to mine! I too was running with two monitors.
I disabled the secondary screen. And... it stopped lagging !!! Fi-nal-ly, I was relieved. I spend more than 8 hours doing all that bullshit. Just for a stupid Xorg bug that cannot handle correctly the secondary screen... Ok fair enough, I will work with one screen for now, no big deal.
About 30min after, the mouse... lagged. Again. And Chromium wasnt even open. I would have jump from the window if I wasnt living on the ground floor. Seriously...
>>
Then, on a stroke of genius, I realize that my mouse is wireless, and that the receptor is in the other side of the desk. There was no freeze. Ever. Just bad wireless reception.
I think that, this very weekend, I had the bigger facepalm of my life.
>>
File: 1425924092608.jpg (585KB, 1259x947px) Image search: [Google]
1425924092608.jpg
585KB, 1259x947px
Welcome to Linux, friend.

It used to be way, way worse too.
Either don't fuck with anything or get ready to pay with your time to fix and tinker shit to work just right.
>>
Nigga you went full /b/
>>
Yeah, go fuck yourself fagg boy.
>>
>>57300433

It wasn't linux that was causing the problem.
>>
>>57300430
you deserve it for using a wireless mouse
>>
Reminds me of the time when windows kept making the usb notify sound intermittently, turned off the sound and discovered it was signal problems later.
Thats what i get for using a shitty mouse I guess.
>>
Reminded me of that time when I spent two hours downloading different drivers for my sound card without realizing that I don't even have a volume server.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.