[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good beginners guides for Linux? I'm about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 77463395.jpg (101KB, 540x573px) Image search: [Google]
77463395.jpg
101KB, 540x573px
What are some good beginners guides for Linux? I'm about to install Mint over my laptops Windows 10.
>>
Mint is possibly the most user friendly distro out there. You will not need a guide.
>>
>>57290411
I'd still like to learn about the nuances of it, though, particularly how this terminal business works.

I'm sure I could just Google it but I'd rather get the info from the actual users and not some 3 year old blog article.
>>
This is all you need
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.gentoo.org/
>>
File: suspicious-dog-500x364.jpg (42KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
suspicious-dog-500x364.jpg
42KB, 500x364px
>>57290587
Do you think I'm illiterate
>>
http://linuxcommand.org/

This was a good resource a decade ago, assume it still is.
>>
>>57290596
No, but you might be retarded if you think someone linking you to reading material is implying you're illitreate.
>>
>>57290596
Tech illiterate, yes. That's why you need the two best sources of information about Linux there is.
>>
Dear frogposter,
Installing Mint at this point simply isn't sensible. Mint is notorious for being buggy and has had numerous lapses in security. For a smooth entry into the world of Linux, I would recommend Ubuntu or Fedora, along with a lightweight DE like XFCE.
Sincerely, Anon
>>
visit tldp.org
When employers ask if you know Linux, they usually mean if you can work in a shell environment. Learning bash will teach you about the filesystem, the userland, how applications used to be designed and also how to use bash.
The distro wiki's might help you learn about packages and stuff like that, but they are not designed for you to read just to learn.
>>
>>57290287
See the OP in fglt, there are /t/ links for training videos
>>
File: openPEPE.png (120KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
openPEPE.png
120KB, 2000x1433px
>>57290287
Dumb frogposter! Install openPEPE.
>>
>>57290287

Mint is super easy. If you can use Windows you can use Mint, no guide necessary
>>
The gist is that you type the names of programs into the terminal, such as cd and ls. Whenever you encounter a program just man it
>>

5.2. First Installation Steps: The Hard Way

Make installation floppies.

Boot an installation mini-Linux from the floppies in order to get access to the CD-ROM.

5.3. Continuing the Installation

Prepare the Linux filesystems. (If you didn't edit the disk partition table earlier, you will at this stage.)

Install a basic production Linux from the CD-ROM.

Boot Linux from the hard drive.

(Optional) Install more packages from CD-ROM.

Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.