[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am new to FTP. I set up a server off one of my old computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.png (17KB, 589x343px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17KB, 589x343px
I am new to FTP. I set up a server off one of my old computers so I could easily transfer some work stuff to my laptop while I was out of town (it syncs over VPN to work, but I can't set up the laptop on the corp networks for whatever reason).

My curiosity is that if the server is active, within minutes (without any advertising, even changed my IP address at home) I get random connects & disconnects from various out of country IP addresses.

Is this normal?
The specific IP that tries to reconnect over and over is 92.124.45.18

10/28/2016 16:33:53 PM - (not logged in) (92.124.45.18)> disconnected

Direct copy pasta from the FTP server.

Is it normal to get hits like this at random? This literally happens within seconds of opening the server. It's not JUST this IP address or range, it's a large number of connections from seemingly all over the world.

I feel like that's not normal, but I'm new to the whole ftp thing. FWIW I don't plan on using this if I am going to have to filter out everything all the time, I'll just use cloud storage and remote desktop (which I have done in the past, just isn't as reliable as I'd like).

Any thoughts?
>>
Basically every poor part of the world with internet is constantly spamming every IP they can find to hit any open ports.
Just ban all of China and Indias IP ranges and they'll drop off the radar.
>>
Then it's for the most part normal? This one was Russia, but I've seen so many different countries it's ridiculous.

If it's nothing to worry about then I won't worry about it. It's still just annoying to pop in and see about 50-100 connections an hour.
>>
especially if you're using default ports, yes, it's normal
there are bots all over the world that are randomly hitting random IPs with common passwords to try to find weak services

worth noting that FTP by itself is cleartext (not encrypted), so shouldn't really be used over the internet directly unless it's a public server

i'd suggest using sftp (ssh) instead
>>
>>57287167
-- if you must use ftp, consider ftps (ftp over ssl), use a long, random password, and perhaps also change the ports (won't stop all scanners, but should cut down the number of hits you get)
>>
There's nothing that I need to worry about being private, it's just excel spreadsheets that I can update and such. I just hate not being able to leave if I want to and be able to do it from say a hotel room, or if I'm wherever and just tether my phone.

I didn't use a common port, which happened by accident lol.

We use FTP and a batch to copy stuff over every 60 seconds to keep the folder updated corporate wide, even use my phone to file sync over wifi if need be. Just doesn't work outside of work.

I guess if it becomes a problem I'll just get IT to set up the certificates or whatever I need and do without the ftp.
>>
>>57287250
>We use FTP and a batch to copy stuff over every 60 seconds to keep the folder updated corporate wide, even use my phone to file sync over wifi if need be. Just doesn't work outside of work.
should use syncthing
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.