[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we pay to be connected to the internet? Is just because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1446491311416.png (5KB, 462x402px) Image search: [Google]
1446491311416.png
5KB, 462x402px
Why do we pay to be connected to the internet? Is just because someone needs to power up and operate the nodes (e.g. station in your town) that further connects with another country and so on?

I mean where is my money going and for what exactly? Also why do we pay for website domain names? This all sounds like somebody is forcing us to pay them to "let" us in... I mean who the fuck owns domain names, this fucking web is supposed to be decentralized without owner
>>
>>57280614
stop doing so much crack
>>
>>57280634
I dont have money for crack because internet is too expensive and more addictive anyways
>>
>>57280614
>Is just because someone needs to power up and operate the nodes (e.g. station in your town) that further connects with another country and so on?
Yes

>Also why do we pay for website domain names?
Because there are organizations that maintain DNS servers that allow people to quickly and easily connect to servers using their domain names.
These organizations also make sure that only one person uses each domain name.

You pay them for both of these services. If you wanted to, I think you could do the DNS server yourself. I'm not sure about owning your own domain without registering it though, you would need your own top level domain and I don't think you can get that easily. Some tlds are free to use, though you still wouldn't "own" the tld so idk.
>>
>>57280977
So those organizations that are in charge for domain names, like ICAAN are non-government? I mean who gave them power and money?
>>
>>57280614
>Why do we pay to be connected to the internet?

We don't.
You only pay to get connected to an internet exchange.

As a student I lived very close to the Amsterdam exchange, and we had very fast internet for basically nothing, using a dedicated fiber cable between the exchange and our complex.
Now I live much further from the exchange, so I have to pay a company to hook me up.
>>
>>57280614
>why do we pay for website domain names?

Whoever owns the top level domain gets to determine the base price.
I think some top level domains like .tk are still free?

Registrars lower down the line can add a (usually small) premium for their service.
>>
File: smug.jpg (61KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
61KB, 900x900px
>neo-/g/
>>
>>57280614
why do you pay for water?
>>
>>57282592
I don't
>>
>>57281077
It was initially US government but if you've followed the news recently you'll know that the top level DNS responsibilities have now been transferred to a global, multi-stakeholder arrangement.

>>57282636
Well, you have to be alive to drink water and staying alive costs money

btfo
>>
>>57282685
>Well, you have to be alive to drink water and staying alive costs money
are you ok
do you have brain damage
>>
>>57282764
Point out something wrong with that statement
>>
>>57282784
Staying alive does not necessary costs money.
Even if staying alive did cost money, that is not a proof that water costs money.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.