[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you programming 2d games ? If yes, what engine(s) / lib(s)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: love_logo.png (21KB, 1024x380px) Image search: [Google]
love_logo.png
21KB, 1024x380px
Are you programming 2d games ?
If yes, what engine(s) / lib(s) are you using ??

Btw, been learning love2d (pic related) for some days, find it good so far.
>>
LÖVE is good
>>
I used LÖVE to try out Lua. It was pretty great and they have a very friendly community on IRC.
>>
>>57279734
have you finished some games with it already ??
>>
>>57279762
can agree !
>>
>>57279785
one
>>
>>57279452
Pure js
http://mythix.bplaced.net/David/content/sites/0/>>57279706
>>
>>57279946
hey that's actually looking great !
Didn't know you could code game in pure js; how is it ?
>>
>>57280042
Just like coding in any other language that lets you draw images pixels and lines
>>
>>57279452
What languages does this engine use?
>>
>>57280127
Lua and it's a joy to play with it ! ( https://love2d.org/ )
>>
>>57280226
I tried to build a model implementing a neural net and ackerman steering on a highway to train drivers. It is a capable engine for sure, very fun to work with
>>
>>57279452
I'd probably just use MonoGame

work has turned me into a C# monkey and it supports a gazillion platforms so why not
>>
>>57280465
Is MonoGame as good as XNA was before Microsoft dropped its support ?
>>
>>57279452
Bullet if i need physics

OpenGL
GLFW

Thats all you need for 2D aside from smaller stuff for loading inages easily
>>
>>57279452
SDL and C
and Python.
>>
>>57281161
Are you using Pygame when coding game with Python ??
>>
>>57281220
I was using pygame, but I'm disappointed with the slow development and failire to adopt SDL 2. The version of pygame i used in 2013 is still the newest version available. I don't like the "pythonic" interface to PySDL2.
>>
>>57279452
Unity because I like my games just I like my streets: shitty.
>>
C++ GLFW glew glmath
>>
>>57281267
Yeah I think the same thing and I find it really strange that we can't have a fine 2D graphic lib in such a beautiful language. Anyway, another reason why I don't like programming with Python/Pygame is the distribution problem. Distributing a python program plus a library to people with absolutly no knowledge in computing is such an annoyance ...
>>
Good to see some love for löve
And for lua generally
>>
SFML (C++) plus LuaBridge for some Lua scripting
>>
>>57282274
I tried SFML and really loved it! Too bad i'm not good at all with C++
>>
>>57283183
>>57282274
How does SFML compare to SDL and/or OpenGL?

Like, any particular features that make it worth looking into?
I've been a bit iffy on the idea since it's C++ as opposed to C.
>>
The best thing about LÖVE is distributing your game, it's retardedly simple and platform agnostic. Lua is pretty cool, not my favourite language, but cool. Banged out a few weekend projects with it.
>>
LÖVE is great

>>57281267
PySDL2 is great too
if you don't like pythonic wrappers just use the straight SDL2 bindings

real men use C + SDL2 ofcourse
>>
>>57283721
How so? I distributed .exe and osx packages for mine and a love file for Linux people which was a bit of a pain but there are tools to automate packaging it up for you.
Ran into some issues a while ago when the version of love I was using was way newer than the one in Ubuntu repos so people couldn't run my game.
>>
I made a Flappy Bird clone in libGDX. It was the first framework I used to program (still beginning, I'm in uni taking Computer Engineering and all my programming has involved using the default libs of Java and Haskell) and I found it quite nice.
>>
>>57283490
You can easily find these informations on Google but what I can say is that if I ever wanted to make a 2D game with C++, i'd only go with SFML and I don't think i'd be lacking some features etc...

Also, there is an official C binding maintained by the creator of SFML himself :)
>>
Pixi.js if I want to make 2D games.
>>
I've used Allegro and SDL for 2d. They've both worked fine for me
>>
I haven't made anything in a long time, but I used to use LOVE and was fairly happy with it.
>>
File: 1476000121946.jpg (72KB, 475x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1476000121946.jpg
72KB, 475x1130px
>been trying to game dev for 6 years now
>still can't program
>can never keep focus
>I can spend a week learning but real life gets in the way and I get the downs and will play games for a month straight or stupid projects with vms

I don't think my genes allow me to
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.