[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck aren't eGPU/eGFX units common place yet? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Why the fuck aren't eGPU/eGFX units common place yet?
I remember reading about these things when ExpressCard first came out and everyone thought they'd be everywhere what with laptops out selling desktops while PC gaming grew in popularity. It's been 10 years, the bandwidth available on laptops has increased 15x since thunderbolt/usb3.21232q455243qe came out and the only commercial example I've seen is a dead kickstarter and some razer or alienware shit.
>>
normies don't need them
>>
>>57270241
Because video games are for kids and if you do any real work that requires powerful hardware, you already have a desktop for that
>>
What's the incentive to make more of these? They're not needed for most people and desktops are usually better for those who need this amount of graphics power.
>>
>>57270262
I figured it was specifically for normies. they're the ones with bargain basement acer laptops that would need this kind of thing.
>>
I really hope the new MBP supports thunderbolt gpus

I'll buy a fucking Razer Core right now if so.
>>
They're expensive and worthless when you have an extra PCIEx16 slot in your computer. Only morons game on laptops.
>>
>>57270241
>tfw no SP5 with external 1080 for a laptop and desktop replacement
>>
>hurr just buy a separate desktop for home use

THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT IS TO HAVE ONE COMPUTER
>>
>>57270410
This.
>build your $2000 gayming pc so you can get maximum frames in whatever the current interactive benchmark is passing for a popular game now
$500 egpu running over thunderbolt is a much less retarded purchase than a whole PC just for games and it's still cheaper than a console.
>>
>>57270334

>videogames are for kids

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day it'll be fact and you won't be some hopeless loser.
>>
>>57270463
It's been a fact since the fucking invention of videogames, dude
>>
>>57270410
>>57270441
Laptops can't dissipate heat well enough, so your CPU is just going to throttle the entire time while gaming. It's a great way to kill a laptop.
>>
>>57270481
you're a boring troll. Go back to telling people to install gentoo or switch to Opera.
>>
>>57270366

Normies are just going to either:

a) Buy consoles for gaming since their Acer takes care of their computing needs
b) Buy an ayyware in the first place instead of a shit Acer

>>57270441

Who the fuck buys a whole PC just for video games? I have a desktop that does vidya/media serving/workstation stuff and a shitty Acer with Mint for doing shit on the road, but I've never heard of someone specifically buying a PC for video games and nothing else outside of maybe for convention demos.
>>
>>57270526
>Who the fuck buys a whole PC just for video games?
people who don't work from their parent's basement.
I spend the vast majority of my time working on my laptop away from home. I have a prebuilt desktop with a replacement GPU for playing the vidya that does literally nothing else.
>>
>>57270515
>Laptops can't dissipate heat well enough
step out of the 90s
>>
I'm getting one with my next laptop to power monitors and things.
>>
>>57270515
I've never had my laptop cpu get above 60Âșc even when doing video encoding.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.