[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever stopped to appreciate how great touchscreen technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: mi.jpg (49KB, 678x396px) Image search: [Google]
mi.jpg
49KB, 678x396px
Have you ever stopped to appreciate how great touchscreen technology is? Sometimes I fondle my screen softly and just admire how smoothly my gestures are translated into intuitive inputs.
>>
>>57263408
Actually, yeah. I sometimes wonder how the guys made the whole flinging gestures thing work that well.
>>
File: 44854-7887.jpg (112KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
44854-7887.jpg
112KB, 500x500px
Don't mean to be a fucking autist but I actually hate touchscreens. Prefer physical buttons. I've always been an 80's tech guy.
>>
>>57263408
Nah, we should have holograms by now.
>>
>>57263408
what way of detecting touch is used mostly?
>>
File: 1390921135568.png (27KB, 280x500px) Image search: [Google]
1390921135568.png
27KB, 280x500px
I owned Symbian smartphones since 2003 with the first 6600 and the first time I tried a capacitive touch screen it was like magic.

To be honest I still love the iPhone animations and behavior, and I've never owned one.
>>
File: 1465460866567.jpg (771KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1465460866567.jpg
771KB, 3264x2448px
>>57265953
seconded
>>
>>57266525
In the past, touch screens were resistive. There were two very thin sheets of metal underneath the screen, and applying pressure made them touch each other and current passed through, which allowed the sensors at the edges to locate the pressure point.
Fingers didn't work well, you needed a plastic stylus for better usage, but it was still bad.

Apple introduced the capacitive touch screen, which basically only has one thin sheet of metal underneath the screen, and your finger's static electricity triggers it. It was like magic.
Also the iPhone was GPU accelerated with silky smooth 60fps animations like fast scrolling, rubber banding at the top, flippy screens and all that. It was very new, Nokia animations were non existent. Unimaginably non-existent for someone too young to remember.
>>
I literally hate touch screens on everything but phones. It makes 100% sense on phones since you stare at them more than use them as phones these days so want as much screen as possible.

Physical keys on current phones would require a slider if you don't want a retardedly big phone and this greatly decreases durability and the trade off just isn't worth it for 99% of the population.
>>
>>57266623
thanks, was googling but couldnt find what is used today
>>57266684
+
>>
>>57266623
I do remember that. That was the shit. At work I have some very old command consoles that are resistive.
You don't touch them; rather you have to hammer them.
>>
>>57265953
This. I did happen to stop to appreciate how great the keys under my thumbs feel.

>>57266684
Needing to swipe your finger in front of the screen or covering a third of it with a software keyboard doesn't let you see more though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.