[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /g/ current consensus on diy net privacy? Tails + vpn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1457811499594.jpg (137KB, 856x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457811499594.jpg
137KB, 856x720px
What is /g/ current consensus on diy net privacy?

Tails + vpn + tor is a bit overkill.

What other distros are good for privacy in your opinion whilst still being functional?
>>
/g/ doesn't do the consensus thing.
Offline PC is best for privacy.
>>
Distros? It's your browser that will leak 99% of your information.
>>
>>57245485
What's a good browser then? Thanks for replying btw
>>
>>57245440
stop. Right now. before you even ask this question, there's something you must stake care of first.

Namely, you have to define your threat model. What do you want protected, and who do you want it protected from?
>>
>>57245481
yeah I was hoping for someone with a infograph or jpg to just drop in, Im awful I know
>>
>>57245513
Tor
>>
>>57245525
Great point. I would like to research and express my political views without being data stored by an alphabet soup intelligence agency.
>>
>>57245656
Not that Anon, but for this you should have a notebook with GSM usb modem and prepaid sim card. Use it in various places (not home) and make sure you're not being watched (including the cameras). Don't store ANYTHING personal on this machine.
>>
>>57245656
Tor, and/or a VPN server in a country not in the five, nine, or fourteen eyes will defeat much passive surveillance. You should also take the usual precautions - keep your machine properly patched, don't use services that collect data on you (Google, Facebook...), and so on.

If you're concerned about being individually targeted, you have much more work to do than this.

>>57245719
The problem with this plan is that if it communicates with cell towers, the phone company operating those towers knows its real-time location, based on what towers hear it, and from which direction. Also vulnerable to IMSI catchers. Not using your home internet connection is a good precaution to take, if you're able to take it, but it'd be better to use an open wi-fi point in a public place.
>>
>>57245804
Yes, that's why I assume that you don't use just one place. Open WiFi are also risky, because very often they are in places where you can also find cameras. I didn't know about IMSI catchers.
>>
>>57245819
well, ideally the being in a public place and not using your home internet is a backup plan, not a prime line of defense. If you do the other things right, three-letter agencies shouldn't be able to gather much if any information about your real identity or location. If you mess up and they manage to, you have a much, much harder task.
>>
>>57245804
I've just quit my job and have some spare time on my hands. Curious on how diy internet privacy works. Do you have any ebooks / blogs to suggest, as a primer. I've been lurking since 06, yet I know nothing on how the net actually works.
>>
>>57245440
Hardened firefox and dnscrypt
>>
>>57245940
privacytools.io

large page that both tells you what you can use, but features lots of links that explain how it works, what it defends against, and so on
>>
>>57245980
>privacytools.io

perfect thankyou
>>
>>57245481
>offline privacy
if you have any of the newer CPUs, thats a meme.

NSA can takeover any "offline" computers
>>
>>57246203
I don't believe it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.