[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to start my IT career >don't have any college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 2f7.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
2f7.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>want to start my IT career
>don't have any college or certs
>Lol kek rofl just work Helpdesk dude, I got my start in IT with no credentials easy kek lol rofl
>everyone keeps asking for certs and degrees for helpdesk positions
>5 fucking applications denied
WHY THE FUCK IS IT SO HARD TO GET THESE JOBS??!?! YOU JUST SIT AND ANSWER PHONE CALLS ALL DAY ITS NOT DIFFICULT SO WHY ARE EMPLOYERS DEMANDING SO MUCH????!?!

I THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T NEED ANY EXPERIENCE WORKING HELPDESK FOR FUCK SAKE! IM DESPERATE
>>
>>57235329
sounds like you should just get some lowend comptia shit to put on your resume. they don't want anything more than A+/Net+
>>
>I have no experience or proof of my technical training
>WHY WONT ANYBODY HIRE ME OMFG WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS BULLSHIT WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH
>>
>>57235329
>only 5 denied applications

I'll tell you why, because there are better candidates applying.
Tell me you at least have some experience?
>>
>>57235392
>>57235369
I hear people say they didn't have any of that shit either but they got jobs.

They say certs and degrees don't really matter in IT, but I guess its just a load of shit.
>>
>>57235485
I have basic troubleshooting experience and I know all the components of a computer. Im not some fucking baby boomer that thinks everything that goes on in IT is magic. Give me a job reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>57235489
the way i've always looked it is if you don't have a degree you definitely need certs. although i never went to college and ended up working at IBM with an expired A+ certification so ymmv
>>
>>57235584
Im calling bullshit on that.

My cousin works Helpdesk at ATT and he doesn't have any college or certifications. How the fuck did he get a job and I cant???????
>>
>>57235513
go back to mcdonalds where you belong
>>
>>57235489
What?
I'm about to start getting my certs, advanced diploma and a degree over the next couple years. You at least need certs unless you know someone who can get you a job.
>>
>>57235601
Or maybe I should just start robbing houses of IT nerds.

You don't need two monitors any way.
>>
>>57235598
do you interview well? do you demonstrate an interest in the company? do you demonstrate an willingness and ability to grow + learn? you have to sell yourself even if you just want a paycheck.
>>
>>57235598
Could be may different reasons for that
>Really charismatic during interview
>Lied about certs or having a degree
>Just happens to be related to or friends with one of the managers (i.e nepotism)
>>
>>57235329
It's cool dude I have an associates and prior help desk experience and it doesn't get better. Just apply to a variety of places. For every 20 apps I send I get maybe 3 or 4 responses
>>
>>57235329
>want to start my IT career
You've got basically 3 options:

>Get a degree
>Get certs
>Join the military

Getting certs is going to be the easiest.
Getting a degree is going to probably net you the highest salary, but you have to complete school and carry student debt.
Joining the military is rolling the dice, it can work out beautifully, or you could get stuck in North Dakota working on shit from the 70s.

Get your A+, it's literally cake easy and at least lets you list something relevant on your resume. Net+ is not hard and makes you look even better.
>>
>>57235848
I heard A+ is actually pretty hard because it covers much more content than Net +
>>
File: 1476844770349.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1476844770349.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
>>57235915
>A+
>pretty hard

oh lawd, my sides
>>
>>57235915
A+ covers how to assemble a computer and some arcane shit no one deals with anymore, I passed it without studying for it.
>>
>>57235329
>5 applications denied
>gives up
jesus chris man

also do A+ it's piss easy
>>
>>57236134
For example?
Non-murican here, wondering what they teach people in those classes.
>>
>>57236208
Troubleshooting boot up problems, shit with printers, learning various ports for peripherals, configuring hard drives. At least that's the kinda stuff we went over in my class.
>>
>>57236196
He's used to getting hired on the spot after one application due to working retail for so long
>>
It's almost impossible to get work without at least a entry level comptia cert with how flooded the market is these days
>>
>>57235513
>I'm not a baby
>reeeee
>>
File: 1477361544174.jpg (219KB, 625x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477361544174.jpg
219KB, 625x1000px
>>57236446
>It's almost impossible to get work without at least a entry level comptia cert
The economy is fine you racist!
>>
>>57236464
What did obama do to that old gypsy woman?
>>
>>57235329
Start your own company.
>>
>>57235329

>5 applications

Found your problem. Thats nothing.

Make it 10 a day and fix your CV/resume.

Degrees and certs are dfefinately not required for helpdesk.
>>
File: eqweqweqw.jpg (123KB, 1034x773px) Image search: [Google]
eqweqweqw.jpg
123KB, 1034x773px
>>57235329
>typical NEET
>26yo
>needed money
>4 months later
>like 9 github projects
>trainee position
>3 month later
>junior .net position
>got a lot of new indian friends
>feels good
>>
>>57235489

They didn't matter 30 years ago when you could get a final salary pension and a free car for turning up
>>
>>57235513
>>>57235485
>I have basic troubleshooting experience and I know all the components of a computer. Im not some fucking baby boomer that thinks everything that goes on in IT is magic. Give me a job reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You are a bit anon lol.

You need to show commercial experience. You might be all "mah gaymz" and know the difference between a CPU and the Internet, but that is not something employers explicitly want. They assume you know this, because it's so fucking basic that if you don't have it your pretty much worthless. You shouldn't need to say you know it, it should be inferred you know it just by you applying. It's like putting "I'm a human" on your CV lol.

If you have no commercial experience then simulate some. Homelab that shit. There is literally 0 excuses - any computer this side of 2010 can run a totally legit, totally functional virtual AD environment, use an IDE, deploy a LAMP environment etc etc etc. Teach yourself. Certs are worthless compared to experience.
>>
>>57235329
i landed a network job paying 30/hour plus full benefits/ unlimited overtime at 45/hour and other benefits with 0 college and 0 experience. gitgud faggot
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.