[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't do it guys. I can't go free because I like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 631804.jpg (470KB, 1075x934px) Image search: [Google]
631804.jpg
470KB, 1075x934px
I can't do it guys.
I can't go free because I like gaming too much.
Gaming obviously uses tons of proprietary software to make it happen.

Gaming is too fun for me on my Windows cuck machine and even if I go linux and install Wine or virtual machine, you ultimately still use proprietary through video card drivers and Direct X components.

Do you guys just not game? What do you use your computer for? Just like coding shit?
>>
not everyone who uses linux goes full freedom
i personally /prefer/ to use free software, but will use proprietary software where there's no [suitable] alternative, such as work software and games

linux is my main OS, and i can run more than enough games on it, native, emulated, or via wine
>>
>>57231632
>Do you guys just not game?
Is it really that hard to elieve?
>>
>>57231632
>I can't go free because I like gaming too much.

Invest in a gaming console. Isn't that the Unix philosophy? Do one thing and do it well. No need to have your computer multitasking between personal use and gaming.
>>
>>57231700
That's silly though, there are a large set of games that are not on console and consoles certainly don't do games well.
>>
>>57231686
Yes it tears my hair out to think that people sacrifice really fun games just to settle for an ideology that is unfortunately almost completely futile. I love the concept. I really really do and I love Richard Stallman and everything he provides but it's super hard to justify switching and lose so much.

>>57231700
consoles are shit and I do have a few but I barely play them as gaming 4k with all the variations I have is fantastic.
>>
>>57231728
>unironically applying the unix philosophy to buying habits
>>
>>57231744
Some people just aren't as passionate aout videogames like you are. Hell, I use Windows and I don't game, I just don't like it that much. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
>>
>>57231772
I get that totally. I could imagine going full free as a web development console but for playing games and having fun its like impossible to do that and go free. I really wish I could enjoy gaming on my gtx 1080 and be free.
>>
File: 1428529339380.jpg (24KB, 300x300px)
1428529339380.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>57231744
Think about the fact that there are hundreds of different mediums for entertainment and hobbies. Someone whose really into reading might be comfused that nobody reads books anymore. Someone whose really into scuba might be confused that anyone would want to live away from the coast. Vidya is a widely consumed medium but it is far from the only one, and far from universal.

These people aren't making a conscious decision to not have fun, they just have fun in different ways that you.
>>
>>57231872
I'm saying in the instance where someone genuinely enjoys PC games what they would do if they wanted to go free.
>>
>>57232020
Get a console I suppose
>>
>>57231632
Vidya is actual brain distortion and life destroying in the same way as heroin or any other highly addictive drug. If you look at the brain scan of a hardcore gamer it is nearly identical to that of a junky. To the extent that life has any meaning you should get away from this trap. And if you don't think it does, you will find more permanent relief from your troubles as an hero.
>>
>>57232099
It's just a thing I enjoy. I have a stable job and go home, though I am single I am single out of preference. I just don't like dealing with the bullshit associated with wooing a girl with all this fake crap.

I enjoy gaming a lot. It's a great way to relax after going home working your ass off on some coding project driving you insane.
>>
File: gerwinski-gnu-head.png (285KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gerwinski-gnu-head.png
285KB, 1200x1200px
>>57231632
>if I go linux and install Wine or virtual machine, you ultimately still use proprietary through video card drivers and Direct X components.
- Mostly proprietary on Windows
- Mostly free/libre on GNU/Linux
Just because you compromise and use some proprietary stuff on Linux, that doesn't make Linux as bad as Windows.

>Do you guys just not game?
I do. I use wine, or a virtual machine, or I find a Linux-native edition of the game. If all of those don't work, I'll boot into my Windows partition. It's almost exclusively used to play games.

>What do you use your computer for?
Entertainment, education, organization, and communication. I think that covers all the bases.

>Just like coding shit?
That's a big part of it, yes. Having free software is more enticing when you're capable of modifying it for your own needs (or for the benefit of others).

>>57231700
>>57231728
>>57232040
>get a console
Consoles are the epitome of proprietary software. You are subject Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo's will by using their products. They can impose whatever updates or restrictions that they want, whenever they want. You sacrifice your freedom to enjoy their exclusive games.
>>
le bump
>>
>>57231632
Is it hard to believe that some people don't play games? I mean, I'm still running Windows, and I'm not following some ideology, but I don't play games. Think about it, it's all virtual. It's a neat way to blow off some steam, but if I were you I'd go against whatever made me feel that way. I would not sink into resultless hedonism. What do you have to gain by "gaming"? Is it not fun to have a hobby involving real-life objects? Crafting hobbies are more useful for you than gaming is. Hell, you could even get into something like exploring (hitchhiking, too, if you feel like it), taking photos and documenting your travels.

I've actually done this. I've explored a huge part of continental Asia with a couple of friends who were into computers and shit. It was a pretty nice change of pace, and I guess we somewhat matured through this. I'm not telling you to drop everything and leave for fucking Kazakhstan, but just try dropping games for a while, and focus on a physical hobby you're into - and try to travel a little alone (or with friends, if they're okay with that) around your country. Become a worldlier man.
>>
>>57231632
Wow it's yet another /v/ermin plebbitor incompetent making yet ANOTHER thread about how he can't move to Linux to impress a board chock-full of idiots who don't even program because of his gaymes
>>
>>57231632
I only play games that are available for GNU/Linux.

Civilization 5 (with DLC)
XCOM
Life is Strange
Europa Universalis

Kept me busy for 2 years.
Civ 6 is coming out soon.
>>
File: 1456194918302.jpg (131KB, 490x490px)
1456194918302.jpg
131KB, 490x490px
>>57231632
>>57231676
>>57234660

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57234660
That's pretty rough around the edges anon considering I have been developing PHP SQL databases for a while now.

I really like Richard's philosophy but unfortunately it proves to be incredibly impractical when doing even basic tasks and also gaming.
>>
>>57231632

Desktop computer with Linux installed and absolutely NO GAEMS

plus

Assortment of consoles, some of which are modded and enabled for emulation

is by far the easiest and most comfy way to do your computing. Linux never breaks when you aren't trying to brute force into playing games (something it sucks at even for simple things like SNES emulation), it updates in a matter of minutes, and it's easy to use when all you are doing with it is surfing the internet or doing a bit of office tasks or photo/video editing.
>>
>>57235799
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: 1477347572709.jpg (7KB, 200x195px)
1477347572709.jpg
7KB, 200x195px
>>57236335
>I have been developing PHP SQL databases for a while now.
>>
This false choice again.
>>
Run the games in a VM/Dualboot without network drivers.
>>
File: nesto.jpg (341KB, 3200x1080px)
nesto.jpg
341KB, 3200x1080px
>>57231632
play good games which are supported and you won't have this problem
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.