[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I'm getting into CS by learning Python, does it matter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: python-logo.png (10KB, 290x82px) Image search: [Google]
python-logo.png
10KB, 290x82px
If I'm getting into CS by learning Python, does it matter if I go for 2.7? Is learning 3.x going to help me in the long run?
>>
>>57230873
learn a proper language instead
>>
Learn Ruby instead.
>>
>>57230885
>>57230891

I think it's too late. I might be too much into python to make a change now, it would give my learning curve a weird direction.

Or maybe not...
>>
Why would you not use the latest iteration to get started???
>>
>>57230906
Well if you could learn both that would be better imo
>>
Just learn C like normal people. Don't be one of those Starbucks-sipping dipshits.
>>
>>57230908
That's what I'm asking.

Because most of the documentation or courses out there are based on 2.7, so I'm thinking about just getting into 3.x by my own. But, since I don't have any fucking idea about programming or CS I don't know if it's a bad idea.
>>
2.7 still has the most libraries. 3 is better core language for performance.
>>
>>57230873
Learn 2.7. A lot of libraries and frameworks don't support 3. It's a small step to 3 if 2.7 becomes obsolete anyways.
>>
>>57230935
Just study the differences for now.
>>
>>57230873
just learn 3.x

>muh libraries

you are a beginner, just learn it and if you need more, learn another language once you understand how programming works
>>
>>57230941
>>57230940
>libraries and frameworks
You will most likely not use any which don't support 3.x
Most likely.

2.7 is EOL on 2020 btw
>>
There's hardly any difference, once you learn the other you'll be able to easily switch to the other, no problem. The language is still the same just a bit of a change. It's not like they rewrote the whole syntax to be entirely different, it's still python.
>>
Learn what you need or want to learn. No need to listen to people memeing.
So if you need to learn Python go with the recent versions. If you will need to work with 2.x there are also guides for that.
Learn the principles and the problem-solving mindset. Also it matters more to complete a few projects than to start 20 and not finish even one.
Of course later on you should spend some time at more lowel level languages like C to get better understanding what goes under the hood which will help you write more efficient code.
Google and Stack Overflow are your friend.
Don't stop learning.
>>
>>57231195
is there ever a "need" to learn python? Literally the only advantage is that its pre-installed on all Linux systems otherwise other languages are much better at doing what python does.
>>
>>57230873
how long of a run? 2-3 years? 3.x. 1-2 years 2.7.

/thread
>>
>>57231551
It's easy.

Some of us want to just smack something together that works in about an hour becasue we don't have jobs in IT where we can be autism tier for money.

I put together concrete calculations that allows me to calculate reinforcement areas for 20 beams at a time. All I have to do is input the flexural bending moments.

Sure there's other software, but fuck it if I can be arsed to go through all that shit for simple scheme design.

Then I have another script to rationalise the beam sizes so I don't have 30 different types.

You forget that people use scripts to do shit on the fly and that not everyone is part of le big developer meme.

Idgaf if C uses 2%less ram and is 13.4534% faster than an interpreted language.

Fuck off.
>>
>>57230873
you don't get into cs by learning a language
>>
>>57231784
>>57231551
Btfo
>>
>>57230968
>2.7 is EOL on 2020 btw
Do people actually believe this? There's zero chance the finance industry is going to change over by then and they're the biggest users of python right now.
>>
>>57231784
>does not understand the concept of scalability
>>
>>57232572
>Im going to scale a cli based tool with no spec that I made myself for personal calculations

Are you dumb?
>>
>Had to take an "introduction to programming logic w/ language" class last year
>Information Assurance and Security program last year
>He started out literally just using pseudocode and flowcharts
>Meanwhile he made us do the first part of the codeacademy
>or whatever method we chose to learn on our own.
>He then went through basic code design
>If your flowchart is correct, code always works after you correct the syntax errors
>Easy way to understand coding
>>
>>57230885
MIT and Berkeley use python as their starter language.

>>57230873
Anon try this http://cs61a.org/ or look for an older course of the same number. Good lecture, great assignments, an autograder... Comfy all around.
>>
Doesn't really matter if you have good knowledge of cs concepts
>>
>>57232539
This. 2 isn't going anywhere. No reason to avoid 3 if you want to go there ahead of schedule, but 2 is a major industry tool and if they try to shutter it in four years people with deep pockets are going to throw a shit fit.
>>
>>57232650
they don't know what they're talking about, and have probably never written a fizzbuzz in c like me
>>
>>57230873
Use MIT Scheme
>>
>>57232590
>straw man
Hang yourself.
>>
>>57232833
I would, but my noose is too small and I can't scale it in python.

Cuck
>>
>>57230873
theres no difference between the two. Any differences are so specific and situational you shouldnt be using them to learn how to program.
>>
>>57233227
Apparently.

Retard
>>
>>57233292
Hey man.

Python is a good language.

Thanks.
>>
File: secret page.png (6KB, 553x474px) Image search: [Google]
secret page.png
6KB, 553x474px
>>57230873
Asking the right questions in python will get you to the google secret page.

Don't let these dinosaurs throw you off.
>>
>>57231551
Need? I doubt so. But OP specifically asked about Python. I never told him he must learn it.
He seems interested in Python so why not go for it?
>>
>>57233502
Fun fact: I never said anything bad about python, just about the autistic manchild who does not understand the concept of scalability.

I once was where he was. And then scripting languages failed me. Utterly.
>>
>>57233535
what do I need to search for that?
>>
>>57233602
Python scales very well, I have a first hand account of that. We scaled around 5-10x with very little changes.
>>
>>57233634
https://www.google.com/foobar/
>>
I'd say 2.7

The only difference you may notice early on is whether 5/2 gives 2 or 2.5
>>
>>57233651
And my first hand account is that once you get really big, python is going to suck the fat one.
>>
>>57233602
Explain:
1. To what extent his use case would ever be scaled
2. Why he would Have problems scaling to the size of your answer to 1
>>
>>57233634
I don't know, but I got redirected there from a normal query while doing a homework. It's a collection of programming challenges that you can do in java or python.

Google really has the ultimate recruiting tool in itself. Years ago I search for a specific sort of hashing function and the first result was Like Hashing Functions? with a link that sent you to a google recruiting page.
>>
>>57233730
>Explain:
No. I was merely referring to:

>Idgaf if C uses 2%less ram and is 13.4534% faster than an interpreted language.

I don't have to explain shit with such a statement.
>>
>>57233812
He clearly meant for his personal use case, or he would have said it doesn't matter, not that he doesn't give a fuck.

you fucking autism man.
>>
>>57233920
>He clearly meant for his personal use case

Bullshit. He was clearly talking about C as a whole:

>Some of us want to just smack something together that works in about an hour becasue we don't have jobs in IT where we can be autism tier for money.

Your autism is so large, if we could convert it into food we could solve the world hunger until 2100 A.D.
>>
>>57233974
>Idgaf
>I don't give a fuck
>I

Yes he is talking objectively.

Your autism is So large your mom's dildo is the radius of the sphere of space it takes up.

Honestly. You're a fucking retard and should kill yourself. It would help everyone in this thread out.
>>
>>57234037
>Yes he is talking objectively.
Your autism is so large that scientists are going to keep you in cryogenic stasis, because it's going to serve as a marker for the solar system once we have developed faster-than-light travel.

That does not prevent me from telling you to end your miserable existence. I don't care about future generations.
>>
>>57234142
Your Autism is magnitude Aleph Aleph.
>>
>>57234355
Your autism is so large, you'd use
>magnitude Aleph Aleph
to describe other people's autism.
>>
File: 1477352444780.jpg (20KB, 306x306px)
1477352444780.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>57233707
Hardoop
>>
File: dogDrink.png (659KB, 640x480px)
dogDrink.png
659KB, 640x480px
>>57230873

OP, I'm using python at my work. This means I only work in python (90%).

Use python 3. Why? Because 2 is going to die so better code real projects with the last version.

All major frameworks and libs are already on python 3.

Go for it.
>>
>>57232539

It's been already postponed 10 years ago so better believe. All major companies have migrated anyway.
>>
File: dolanspooderman.jpg (75KB, 651x481px) Image search: [Google]
dolanspooderman.jpg
75KB, 651x481px
I see that most of people here does not use python in the real world...

In the real world, and business, a lot of people who really use python already are in version 3.

Why? Because will be over soon and most of the libs that companies use are not maintened in version 2 anymore, with exceptions for security issues.

So embrace python 3
>>
>>57230885
>durr look at me I like pointless verbosity
>>
>>57233669
>https://www.google.com/foobar/

wtf is this
>>
File: 1468357746663.jpg (575KB, 1280x5859px) Image search: [Google]
1468357746663.jpg
575KB, 1280x5859px
Well at some point your're gonna need to learn more languages than Python in any case.

You should consider what it is that you want to do or why it is that you're learning this. Naturally 'Computer Science' isn't the same as "just" programming.

Python is a very accessible language, as it's very forgiving and straight forward. However it's ill fitted for anything where you're concerned about runtime. And given that it's so forgiving, it might teach you some bad programming habits.

I'm currently enrolled in CS at the University of Copenhagen. Earlier they taught first year students SML (Standard Machine Language) as an introduction to programming. This was smart, as it is inherently unforgiving, and will teach you what's going on underneath the hood. However it's almost never used outside of formal maths, so you're never really going to use it if you plan to become a programmer.
This year they're teaching first year students F#, which I think is good, as it combines the very formal structure of ML with the more common syntax of languages like C#, and since it's a language that is actually used in the industry to a certain extent.

If you want to become a programmer and make some $$$, you should (after learning the basics from Python) learn some of the languages that the industry uses. Stuff like C++, PHP, Go or Java.

If you want to do CS, you should look into databases, as well as follow some of the courses on youtube (Khanacademy and such) - assuming that you're not enrolled in a university. These classes include pure math, such as discrete mathematics and linear algebra, as well as stuff in between, such as algorithms, datastructures and datamining. These will steer you in the CS direction, but are as such not strictly necessary if you "just" want to be a programmer.
>>
>>57236387
shh bb
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.