[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm just getting into gaming and I don't know much.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3

File: alienware.png (798KB, 787x917px) Image search: [Google]
alienware.png
798KB, 787x917px
So I'm just getting into gaming and I don't know much.
I want to buy a gaming laptop but don't know which the best one is.
I see a lot of celebrities using Alienware so is that the best?
>>
1. Don't buy a laptop for gaming
2. Stop gaming, it's a waste of time
3. Buy a used thinkpad
4. Install gentoo
>>
>>57229318
Just build a cheap desktop, you'll wish you had in less than a month if you buy a laptop.
>>
>>57229318

Civ VI requires some pretty mad specs to run smoothly, and you'll need a deep checkbook for a laptop that will be "mostly adequate."

Also, Civ VI on a 14" screen. It's like you're trying to commit suicide in the most painful way possible.
>>
>>57229352
/thread
>>
>plucked my eyebrows

why the fuck?
>>
>>57229352
this. gaming can prevent you from actually succeeding in life. instead of leveling up in life you level up on some weeb shit game.
>>
>>57229318
I really hope this thread is bait.
>>
>>57229318
>I see a lot of celebrities using Alienware so is that the best?
shitty bait
>>
Celebrities use alienware because it's expensive and they have the money.
>>
>>57229352
so how the fuck else am i supposed to pass the time? i cant honestly be expected to spend all my time working
>>
>>57229780
>Life is just time meant to be burned away

Read a book and better yourself you fucking loser
>>
>>57229761
it's not. like I said I don't know anything about gaming.
I know Felicia Day is a big gamer and she uses Alienware
>>
>>57229788
>read a book

reading a fiction book is as much of a waste of time as playing a game and i dont desire to learn anything right now so reading a non fiction book is pointless
>>
>civ vi
>£50
>supports windows and mac but not linux
why
>>
>>57229318
>I want to buy a gaming laptop but don't know which the best one is.

So do what most people do, look at the specs of the games you want to play, and find a system that matches them. Read some reviews. Evaluate yuor budget against the options and make a choice. Think for yourself you dense cunt.
>>
>>57229798
>Reading a fiction book is a waste of time

Find something better than Stephen King kiddo

> i dont desire to learn anything right now

You legit should kill yourself if you genuinly have zero desire to learn anything anymore. There is no point of you wasting oxygen on this planet if you're going to deny your humanity like this. Yes I am serious.
>>
>>57229813
This guy's right tho.. You may as well just fuck off, have 9 kids and get on welfare now you fleshwaste.
>>
>>57229813
>deny my humanity because i am happy where where i am and feel that no further knowledge is needed

it doesnt matter what fiction book you read they are all stories they all have the same impact on your life even if they present ideas they are still the ideas of one man
>>
>>57229318
I thought Arabia lost their camel archer unique unit
>>
>>57229813
Fiction is fiction and holds zero value in any way over gaming that you are trying to imply. They both act as entertainment using different mediums and methods. One requires internal visualization to put an image to the story while the other features between mild and extensive interaction. Both are objectively better than simply sponging in a movie.
>>
>>57229840
You are telling me that reading Magic Treehouse gives me the equivalent knowledge of having read Nabokov or Cervantes?
You're wrong. Ideals and morals are something that can be learned, and some books provide much better lessons than others.
>>
>>57229919
You really can't be arguing this point.
Reading a classic book is so much more intellectually stimulating than playing a game...
>>
>gaming
>laptop

choose one
>>
>>57229919
Lessons can be learnt from fiction, in reading of the rise, times and downfall of characters, one can see how decisions and attitudes can play out, and apply this knowledge to their lives, be it living more compassionately/fearlessly/whatever.

What have you learned from CS, and how can you apply it to your life?
>>
>>57229318
>turkey chili
fucking disgusting
>>
File: qt.png (696KB, 822x541px) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
696KB, 822x541px
felicia knows more about gaming pcs than all of you idiots
>>
>>57229976
I second this notion.
As someone who does nothing but read and play games, I obviously have nothing against games, but a novel or epic does way more to further you as a human than any game could.

>>57229995
Good thing I don't care about "gaming" PCs. I use a regular old desktop PC, built with computational power in mind, not gaming :^)
>>
>>57229929
but i already have a set of idealsa and morals why would iwant to read a book to learn what i already have?
>>
>>57230010
Hook line and sinker seem ok
You need some better bait, though.
>>
>>57230022
there is no bait here there is some0one telling me i shouldnt play games without making a proper justification for this stance
>>
>>57230010
Because life is evolution, and if you're not constantly evolving, then you're squandering your life.

Whatever, stay basic faggot, just don't breed, ok?
>>
>>57230037
Assuming you are op, I would suggest you learn up a bit on computer hardware because it'll help you make an informed decision. Do that before you waste time playing games.

Also, you are constantly learning and adapting your morals til the day you die, so the "I already have morals" argument is a stupid one.
Reading a book wouldn't hurt, seems like you could use some grammar and communication skills anyways.
>>
>>57229757
While I also like to play a lot.
I think it can be said that life should be primary and gaming, secondary.
Videogames can also give inspiration for reallife.
As long as someone has a job, everything is ok. Why stop gaming?
>>
>>57230057
there is nothing to evolve into like i said morally i am already the person i want to be i see no reason to change other then just because which is a silly reasoning

>>57230075
I'm not OP I'm just a person who is sick and tired of people telling him he should stop playing games. I already know what kind of computer I want and I'm working towards that end. As far as grammar I know it I just don't like to use it on social media I see it as a waste of time. to drive myself crazy over trying to never make a mistake.
>>
>>57229976
>Counter Strike is the only video game out there!!!

Okay dude
nice
>>
>>57230111
This attitude, if you express in the real world also, will surely turn people away from you. You seem like a genuine douchebag if you can honestly say that your ideals are as good as they can possibly get.
No issue with you being content in yourself, that's good, just always try to become a better person or you are hurting yourself.
As I said, I play a ton of games myself, even mindless ones like Counter Strike, Pokémon, rhythm games, etc., but getting into gaming when you are still young and clueless is pretty dangerous.
Take that from someone who failed out of high school because I stayed home playing WoW and CS every day.
>>
Ignore these tryhards telling you to spend your time bettering yourself. Give into the degenerate life of videogames, masturbation, and anime. It's much easier that way.

Anyway, unless you have a ton of cash and really need it to be portable, you're going to want a desktop. It's easier to maintain and upgrade throughout the years. There are PC build threads around here from time to time, or you can go to pcpartpicker.

Alienware is overpriced and you're just paying for branding. If you really do need it to be a laptop, shop around for one with a decent Nvidia GPU. Don't fall for an "Intel GPU", it's just referring to the graphics output of the processor.
>>
>>57230168
Not to say he should play games or whatever, but I think he should learn a bit about it before he dives in head first.
>>
>>57230111
> morally i am already the person i want to be
Great, you know killing is wrong, just like a majority of humanity. But we're not talking about morality, we're talking about learning something new. This could be anything, not exclusively morals, as you'd know if you read a book from time to time.

>>57230115
It was the first example that came to mind, because a majority of the games that you COULD actually learn from are so far from the mainstreams consciousness that they may as well not exist.
>>
>>57230168
>I was a fucking retard, so everyone else must be.

Tripfags, everyone.
>>
>>57229788
>video games are a waste of time
>waste your time reading a book instead under the pretense of bettering yourself
>>
>>57230193
Warning someone based on my experiences doesn't mean I think they are retarded, just that I don't want to see them fail in the ways I have.
Not that it mattered much in the end, I'm a nuclear engineer now.
>>
>>57230193
> le tripfag bogeyman

Did you have an argument or are you just here to shitpost?
>>
>>57229318
Okay OP, you are probably in the wrong place for this --- considering this is 4chan and everyone is uniformly unhelpful.

1. Don't get a gaming laptop. The reason being is that laptops are harder to upgrade and break more easily. It is simply better to get a desktop for such things.
2. Ignore people who say to stop gaming. It's a meme on /g/ for those who want to be contrarian to /v/.
3. Do not buy a thinkpad. Don't believe the memes.
4. At this point, you should kill yourself if you take anything on this board seriously.
>>
>>57229741
Because women (if that's what that thing is, not sure if tranny) always feel the need to tell people what useless cosmetic shit they've been fucking up their face with.
>>
>>57230168
I do try to become a better person I just avoid outside influences especially from other people. Change has brought me nothing but suffering in life so I avoid it till it happens naturally.

>>57230189
Why learn something new? What is my end goal in learning this new thing? What would i stand to gain from it? this is like my mom telling me last night i should apply for a job at a cell phone store when the job i have ios more than enough to pay my bills and leave enough extra money to upgrade my 3 year old PC trying something new for the sake of it being new is silly and almost ape like
>>
>>57230242
>3 year old PC
Why are you upgrading? Most of our computers are easily that old and still run games acceptably.

Edginess aside, there are some books that really do help you accept yourself and the works around you and make you a better person. You should read Nietzsche or books on Eastern philosophy, i have some good ones if you want suggestions
>>
>>57230242
But fair warning, using the "what's the point in learning anything new when it makes no greater difference" argument will make you look like an existentialist faggot or a lazy retard. I don't really care, but people in the real world might..
>>
>>57230295
Because my PC is starting to show it's age and its on an AMD CPU I would like to emulate PS2 and GameCube games on it and AMD just isn't suited for such a task

I have already accepted myself and the workings around me and have decided that I would like to be apart from most of it

>>57230319
what i mean is i am content like i am so there is no desire to learn anything new
>>
>>57230376
I have an amd cpu and I play emulated games on a 144hz monitor without issue.

That's a terrible attitude to have, you should always have the desire to know more, it's human nature and it makes you a better person.
Seriously
>>
>>57230409
dude, the guy is clearly 17 at most, going by his post style, grammar, and attitude. He's still in that nihilistic "the world is shit and I know better" headspace. Hopefully he'll get over it
>>
>>57230376
Upgrading just to simulate PS2 games? Why not buy a PS2 for $50 bucks and have the real experience and not be limited by the fact that you will never have 100℅ emulation.
>>
>>57230426
PS2 games cost a shit ton these days
>>
>>57230426
Like I said my PC is starting to show its age.

>>57230425
I am 30

>>57230409
I'm not even sure what I would learn I have never been much for doing things "just because".
>>
>>57229318
Gaymen laptop:
i5 + 950m = 700€.
A more powerfull used gtx 650 + used Q6600 base will cost you around 100€.

Or you can build a new 3x more powerfull rig with an i7 and new gtx 960 for 600€
>>
>>57229780
lift?
>>
>>57230425
I'm only slightly older, it's no excuse in my mind.

>>57230458
Really? I have a ton of em around.

>>57230468
I really don't believe you are 30, unless you have an IQ of room temperature. You have a childish mentality, as someone else said. At that age, you really need to change yourself if you still think this way.

>>57230485
This. OP please look into building a desktop with used / budget components
>>
>>57230458
kek
>Buy a copy of a certain 007 game,
>Use an exploit to install freemcboot onto a memory card
>Play copies
It's that easy, not only this, but fuck I wanted to do this for a while too: You can boot games from over the network via the ethernet port.
Literally hook up a raspberry pi to the PS2 and then to your network, connect a 2TB hard drive to the raspberry pi. Bam, you have a sweet media centre that plays movies, PS2 games, PS1 games, plus any games supported by homebrew emulators.
Not only this, but buy a $300 XRGB-mini, and you have beautiful 1080p upscaling and output to HDMI.
Man I want to do this so much when I've finally got a fucking job.
>>
Don't buy a gaming laptop. I have one and its just a buyers remorse machine that collects dust. Now if you want to buy a laptop with decent specs to play some games at lower quality then thats a little better. Don't pay a premium for gaymen stuff.
>>
>>57229318
>So I'm just getting into gaming and I don't know much.
Get out while there's still time. Learn a programming language instead.
>>
>>57230502
I already asked why would I change myself and put myself at risk if I am safe and content with where I am? What do i stand to gain from leaving my comfort zone?

>>57230493
I have considered getting a gym membership. just need to make time for it.
>>
>>57230549
> he has time to game, but not improve himself.

I'll say it again. Never breed.
>>
>>57230561
by make time i mean figure out how to swing going to the gym and then to work with enough time to get a decent lift in such as figure out what time to start walking
>>
>>57230549
If reading a damn book brings you out of your comfort zone, you are some kind of bitch. Don't have kids please. You aren't even arguing a point, just being a pussy.
Reading a fucking book isn't gonna hurt you, especially not if you're 30 and still live with your parents.
You literally have nothing to lose, try to better your lonely self.
I'm out to play some gaymes.
Bye
>>
>>57230580
>enough time to get a decent lift in such as figure out what time to start walking

Yeah, you really don't read much at all do you anon, you big 'ol "30" year old you..
>>
>>57230630
I'm telling you, room temp IQ if he isn't lying
>>
File: laughing-girl-pointing-12016273.jpg (19KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-girl-pointing-12016273.jpg
19KB, 400x258px
>>57230580
> in such as figure out what time to start walking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
>>
>>57229318
>I see a lot of celebrities using Alienware so is that the best?
make it less obvious, shill
>>
>>57229318
Linustechtips has some guides on how to build a computer. Easy to understand even for retards
>>
>>57231061
>THIS

LTT is the official YT channel for /v/
>>
>Not everyone is realizing this thread is literally just bait

anons pls
>>
>>57229352
/g/ in one post.
>>
>>57229318
build a desktop and save ~$500
>>
>>57229318
don't use a laptop for gaming

don't buy dumbed down Firaxis games

Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis > Civilization

Xenonauts or classic X-COM > Modern X-COM

don't play MMO"RPG"s if you have even a fraction of your brain left
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.