[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we still have fucking terrible translations in 2016?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 6

File: 146195366088.jpg (71KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
146195366088.jpg
71KB, 599x600px
Why do we still have fucking terrible translations in 2016?

How hard can it be to make a good translator?
>>
>>57227694
>How hard can it be to make a good translator?
why did you even post this
>>
>>57227712
I just want to know why translations are still so terrible. Seems like they haven't advanced at all for so long.
>>
Machine translation is always going to be garbage for anything more than individual words/simple phrases
>>
>>57227718
>I just want to know why translations are still so terrible.
There are trillions of people on the planet and there are so many different languages.

You and I for example share one language but probably have different dialects and use weird idioms and expressions to communicate concepts differently. It takes years for us just to be able to speak and write properly as well. Because of the way we were raised and educated approaching other languages is made difficult. You didn't consider that? Translators that do exist have to consider all of this and meaning is often lost because of how intricate languages are.

I offer this as advice. There's a link between frogposting and mental retardation. If you want to be smart, stop doing it.
>>
I'm deciding between writing my thesis on this, or on signed distance function rendering.
Basically it's hard, it's subjective, it requires a lot of information that is hard to convey, it requires context analizing, yadda yadda. To make a proper translator you need a program that understands what it reads, and also can rephrase ideas.
>>
>>57227694
I think to create accurate machine translation you need AI.

If you know more than one language, especially quite disparate ones then you'll know that translating a phrase isn't just about translating the words and grammar. In many cases you have to take the sentiment of the original sentence and essentially create a new sentence that expresses that same sentiment.
>>
I can see how something like going from English to Chinese would be almost impossible.

But stuff like French to Italian or English to German seems like it should be doable.
>>
>>57227694
Even humans, who perfectly speak both languages are often bad at translations.

That's because languages are so different that simply translating words not always make sense. It's the meaning behind the whole sentence that matters, not just the meaning of a word or two.
This sometimes requires the capacity of interpretation, which isn't really the easiest thing to do for a machine.
>>
>>57227694
>2k16
>He знaть pyccкий язык.
Wew.
>>
This was one of the first things that I learned when I went into programming. The problem is: contexts.

A normal human language has a huge amount of context and connotation that normal human beings, after immersing themselves into a language, have no real problem recognizing and translating for themselves. Yet when you actually translate something for someone other, the initial text in itself loses a lot of context. Take Japanese to English for example. Or English to French. Or vice versa. This is a problem even people who speak both languages somewhat perfectly cannot avoid, and they are capable of recognizing the context in the source material.

Now, for a computer, this is entirely different. A computer can not easily recognize context, that's why most often context is just coded to be loaded from somewhere. Some programs might even be able to add new ones and recognize when new contexts are used exactly, but this is no easy task, not at all.

Right now our attempts at "AI" have only been dipping their toes into mathematical and game-theoretical contexts, and they work kinda fine with them (chess, go, big data, you get the idea), But there is so much more that is required for a translation.
>>
>>57227754
>There are trillions of people on the planet
stopped reading
>>
File: apeOut.png (28KB, 569x571px) Image search: [Google]
apeOut.png
28KB, 569x571px
I work on natural language parsing for my job. Fuck you fuckyou fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you
>>
>>57227694
Because it's not as simple as matching one word from a dictionary to a word in another dictionary
>>
>>57228050
>tfw I studied ling and Cs
How do you like your work?
>>
>>57227694
Because there are massive in grammar. Not every language is as easy as English.
>>
>>57227751
Why do you say this?
>>
>>57229182
>English easy
Inflection forms are a pain to learn. All Indo-European languages are relatively hard.
>>
>>57229219
>only 2 genders
>no cases
>no agglutination
>not tonal
>1 alphabet
>>
>>57229248
>He, she, it
>He, his, him, he
>weird as fuck pronunciation rules: nature and mature (same word origin), kernel and colonel, fish and enough
>>
you can make one easy OP

if( word[n] = "wasser"){
word[n] = 'water'
}
>>
>>57227754
>There's a link between frogposting and mental retardation.
no, frogposters are actually smart
>>
>>57229248
> weir, we're
> your, you're
> they're, their, there
> "Close a door", "A close call"
> "conducting electricity" (allowing the passage of electrons), "Conducting an orchestra" (directing musicians)
> "Row the boat", "had a row with my missus"

English is an absolute clusterfuck.
>>
>>57229492
That's not a sentence. Translations become difficult when sentence structure is involved.
>>
>>57229549
but a hilarious one
>>
>>57229549
>your, you're
Why is it a problem? My English is kinda bad, but it never was a problem for me.
>>
HUEfag here.

The translation of "search history" in the Portuguese version of Chrome has been wrong forever.

They translated it as if search was a noun (i. e. the history of all my searches), not a verb.

One'd think a company like Google could do this.
>>
>>57229190
Not him, but I don't believe machines will ever be able to translate as well as humans. They can do it a lot faster, sure, but not as accurately.

Sometimes words mean different things based on context. Languages have words that don't translate well to other languages and require translator's notes to explain e.g. Libre means free as in freedom, not free as in free beer. People can pick up on these things easily but google translate can't.
>>
>>57229559
>Wäre der Wasserkocher nicht defekt, würde er das Wasser auf ungefähr 100 Grad aufkochen.

>Would the water cooker not defect, would he the water on approximately 100 degrees up-cook.

And that was an example.
>>
>>57229585
Because without the context of the sentence, they are phonetically identical, which will fuck with voice recognition systems.
>>
>>57228027
Kek
>>
Why is /g/ this stupid?
Translating from one language to another is easily solvable when we have enough information for both languages.
Even contexts can easily be recognized.
Neural networks will help speed up this process, and at least the most spoken languages will be more and more precisely translated as the machines gather more and more data.
With the right algorithm and enough space for data, it's only a matter of time.
>>
>>57229707
>Even contexts can easily be recognized.

Stopped reading.
>>
>>57229707
> WHY R U SO STUPID
> IT EASY
> ONCE WE HAVE TEH TECH TO DO IT

u r an faggot.
>>
>>57229739
The tech is here, and I'm pretty sure Google is working on the algo, dumdum.
>>
>>57227694
Do you even speak a second language?
>>
>>57229793
> working on the algo
> implying that it is coming, not here yet.

Oh how retarded are thee, let me count the ways..
>>
>>57229591
Search history is a noun.
>>
>>57230481
No you idiot, "search" is a verb in "search history.
>>
>>57229511
That's still a link (negative correlation), dumbass
>>
>>57229622
But this is about translation, not voice recognition.
>>
>>57227694
We saw her duck.

He fed her cat food.

Look at the dog with one eye.

I saw a man on a hill with a telescope.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Rose rose to put rose roes on her rows of roses.
>>
>>57227754
Trillions...
>black (life's) matter
>>
>>57230814
this is why , exists ;^)
>>
>>57231021
Retard. Off yourself.
>>
>>57231076
So emotionally distraught.
>>
>>57231079
Off yourself now. We have enough retards on this planet´.
>>
>>57231096
Keep crying kid
>>
>>57231110
Off yourself.
>>
>>57231113
:^)
>>
>>57231122
Now, retard.
>>
>>57231134
>>
>>57231147
Retard.
>>
>>57231147
Pipe yourself to /dev/null
>>
>>57230730
you are absolutely right
he was clearly implying a positive one
>>
>>57231152
>>57231153
>>
>>57227694
If it's so easy, why haven't YOU made a better one?
>>
>>57231160

XOR yourself.
>>
Some languages are very flexible in term of structure sentence that it makes it hard to translate.
>>
>>57231166
>>
>>57231210
Undo yourself.
>>
File: 10f4f2464d68596a359b60c014842bf0.jpg (176KB, 1200x926px) Image search: [Google]
10f4f2464d68596a359b60c014842bf0.jpg
176KB, 1200x926px
>>57229335
>>57229549
>mfw monolingual Anglos think this is hard

English is like the python of spoken languages
>>
>>57231221
free((void *)yourself);
>>
File: bc0.png (857KB, 768x714px) Image search: [Google]
bc0.png
857KB, 768x714px
>>57231295
>Käytännöllistelemälläänkinköhän
>>
>>57231299
__asm__ __volatile__("mov %0,%%rsp"::"a"(before_you_were_created):"rsp");

Not only kills you, but resets everything the way it was.
>>
>>57231329
ROLLBACK TRANSACTION TO SAVEPOINT before_yourself
>>
>>57231315
>tfw German
>tfw being used to umlauts and substantive compounds
>käytännöllistelemälläänkinköhän
>twf being able to somewhat pronounce, but never in my life being able to deduct and understand it
>>
>>57231353
>SQL faggot
I accept your surrender.
>>
>>57227858
Wew lad
You just used google translate faggot
It should be
>oн нe знaeт pyccкий язык
>>
>>57229707
This
We need more data and the more we have this data , the more accurate the translation will be
>>
>>57231381
FillByte(PtrYourSelf, SizeYourSelf, 0);
FreeMem(PtrYourSelf, SizeYourSelf);
>>
>>57231173
that's not even close to the hardest part, wait until you feed google translate something containing puns, idioms, or even just words with very specific connotations

that shit's hard enough for humans to translate
>>
>>57231367
>Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbarbärbel
>>
>>57227694
>Why do we still have fucking terrible translations in 2016?
Because human language is extremely complex and you can't just literally translate words: context, grammatical rules, and overall emotional feel of things must be taken into account. No AI currently exists to do more than just translate raw words into another language.

>How hard can it be to make a good translator?
Very hard. You basically need a sentient AI with human level intelligence. Don't expect to see that until around the tech singularity (~2050).

Anyway this is great news for translators everywhere, they will be able to keep their jobs longer than say construction workers or taxi cab drivers.
>>
>>57231134
Newfag spotted. You should reply like
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>57231152
Another dipshit>>57231153
You should reply
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>57231441
You have already lost.
>>
>>57227694
Why don't they just put practically all translations that are ever used in their databases? No smartassery involved. They have infinite space anyways.
Translations of basic sentences between German, French and English still suck.
>>
>>57231460
>Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung
>Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz
>>
>>57231480
Stay in school kid and learn the language instead
>>
>>57231474
Autist, I don't care enough to tell autists why they are wrong.
>>
>>57231480
Because of context and emotional feel vary from translation to translation. Though what you said would improve grammatical structure of translations even bi-lingual children would be able to tell they were crude machine translations.
>>
>>57229605
I think I spider
>>
>>57231478

Degauss yourself.
>>
>>57231520
Ich glaub', ich spinne - I believe I spider. Not "think".
>>
>>57231493
>Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän
>>
Professional translator here.

>>57227751 is right.

Good machine translation won't happen until we have the AI we all dream of from sci-fi movies.

To look at words and find the equivalent concept in the target language is one thing. To build a sentence with the same tone in the target language and the structure that is most closely similar is another thing. At this point some programs can still "succeed". As soon as your message implies anything more (sarcasm, reference to something, poetic or rythmic effect) no machine of this day and age can help you.

Just think about everything your brain has to handle in order to understand a meme on this website, to understand it enough to perhaps be able to reproduce the same meaning in another language. You'll realize that dozens of concepts can be involved. A machine translating that would have to be much more than a translating machine.

The only sector where machine translation is used is weather reports, because the vocabulary is very limited and there are only a few ways to say it's going to rain.

Neural networks are promising, but they will always fail when they meet some new thing (and when it comes to language, possibilities are infinite).
>>
>>57231546
>Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän
German is longer.
>>
>>57231588
fine if we are using words that are never used I will go with kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuudellisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissansakaankopahan
>>
>>57231556
Hey man, I've been thinking about becoming a self taught tri-lingual (English, Spanish, Japanese) translator. Is this even possible or do I have to get into college? My end game is becoming self-employed as well.
>>
>>57231631
AHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>57231615
I counter with:
>Dauerwellenshampooherstellerlieferungstabelleneintragsbreitenerweiterungsnorminalreglementierungsvorschriftstexterfassungslinsenreinigungsempfehlung.
>>
File: jHHl2tTK.jpg (42KB, 627x627px) Image search: [Google]
jHHl2tTK.jpg
42KB, 627x627px
>>57231651
A man can dream.
Un hombre puede soñar.
男は夢を見ることができます。
>>
>>57231684

You are like a little baby. Watch this:

λοπᾰδοτεμᾰχοσελᾰχογᾰλεοkρᾱνιολειψᾰνοδρῑμῠποτριμμᾰτοσιλφῐοkᾱρᾰβομελῐτοkᾰτᾰkεχῠμενοkιχλεπῐkοσσῠφοφαττοπεριστερᾰλεkτρῠονοπτοkεφαλλιοkιγkλοπελειολᾰγῳοσῐραιοβᾰφητρᾰγᾰνοπτερῠ́γων
>>
>>57231717
Pathetic. I didn't even start.

>Mäusefallenherstellungsholzbezeichnungspapierherstellungsskizzierungsbüroabzugshaubenmaterialvorgabeneinhaltungskontrolleursuniformproduktslisteneintragsbesteuerungsvorschriftsentsorgungsabsichtserklärungsformularsformatprogrammierungsschnittstellenerfassungsabsprache
>>
>>57231797

>how many layers of agglutination are you on
>>
>>57231694
you would use otoko no hito instead of just otoko in this formal type of context
>>
File: PicsArt_10-25-04.57.33.jpg (25KB, 514x506px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_10-25-04.57.33.jpg
25KB, 514x506px
Just try
>>
>>57231816
30, if I am not mistaken.
>>
ponaddwustudziewięćdziesięciodziewięciokilometrowy - Try to spell it
>>
>>57231884
I need my tongue yet.
>>
>>57231824
>男の人
Thanks senpai, I'm still learning nip speak right now. Might not become the self-taught tri-lingual pro I dream to be but at least I'll be able to get more pussy.
>>
>>57230962
>>>/pol/

fuck off
>>
>>57231905
Oh shut up, everyone knows how fucking stupid nigger lives matter protesters are. This isn't about politics, it's about a bunch of nigger chimping out when they don't get their way.
>>
>>57231921
>stormtard
>stupid
>can't read

What a coincidence
>>
>>57231935
It's related to the topic. Machine translations are not capable of translating those words, and they will have a long time to go until they will be.
>>
>>57231935
>I'm incapable of understanding sarcasm and irony
robot pls go
>>
>>57231935
I could have sworn there was a rule about 4chan being an english-language site

but there's not :^)
>>
>>57231979
>buying a user pass
>>
>>57232021
You should be thanking me you filthy neet. Without passfags this shitbird known as 4chan would have already been sold to someone worse than hiro.
>>
>>57232039
>worse than gookmoot
Impossible.
>>
>>57227694
Translation is NP hard bruh
>>
English is a bad language when it comes to pronunciation, but that is not a problem that concerns a type translator.

Human language defines advance concepts, that human intelligence understands. 99% of words have multitude of definitions. The appropriate definition determines what is the corresponding translated word or phrase to use. If you have no grasp of these definitions then at best you can only rely on statistical usage. Which will not work well with novel statements.
>>
>>57227814
>>57227718
>People who are only fluent in one language think translation is easy
This is why half my job as a translator consists of cleaning up your garbled nonsense. It was entertaining at first but it gets real old real fast. European humour is not as dependent on repetition as American humour is.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.