[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ok, so i'm trying to learn to program. i see a python/C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1477286455600.jpg (150KB, 1360x816px) Image search: [Google]
1477286455600.jpg
150KB, 1360x816px
ok, so i'm trying to learn to program.

i see a python/C api.

why shouldn't i learn both python and C at the same time? one scripting language and one hardware language?

i've REALIZED that there's NO learning source for programming. not really. there are books that help a little. but really you just have to put two and two together, look up documentation, figure things out through experimentation, and studying code that does cool stuff and learning how it does it, modifying it, and stuff like that.

so how do you guys feel about learning C and python at the same time - trying to do the same thing in both of them, seeing the difference between them, shit like that. i hear a lot of people appreciate the combination of python and C?
>>
It should work, why not. Hell, you'll even get a perspective of OOP.
However there are many things that will be real hard to make in C that will be a breeze in python. So don't be too strict about it. However python is so rigid that the difference should be mostly related to using bigums and dynamic allocation.

Anyway you're pretty much right about learning how to program.
>>
>>57219001
>but really you just have to put two and two together, look up documentation, figure things out...
Yup.

>so how do you guys feel about learning C and python at the same time
I would do it with C++ instead, but otherwise it's a great idea. And for anyone looking to complain, No, I'm not advocating this because C++ has OOP features, I'm advocating this because ISO C is miserable to use due to it's:

- irritating struct syntax.
- irritating initializer list syntax.
- irritating heap interaction "syntax".
- lack of exceptions.
- lack of bool types outside of a header (why...).
- lack of function overloading.
- and my personal favorite, lack of namespaces in a language without classes to use in their place.

Even if you're going to write ISO C style code and never touch OOP with a ten foot barge pole, C++ is still the language to do it in (outside of systems where you don't have the juggernaut that is the C++ compiler available to you of course).
>>
>>57219421

well, i've thought about that and heard a lot of the things people say about C. but one of the main things i'm interested is programming hardware controllers, and i've heard C is still kind of the standard for programming microcontrollers in devices and stuff?

that and C feels like the 'heart' of programming to me, if you will, seems like most later languages borrow the sense from it.

i'll probably switch to C++ after the differences and disadvantages of C become more visceral and obvious to me.
>>
Once you learn one language it's fairly easy to learn others. I'd start with python and move to C or C++ if I was to start over.

Also, learning from books and etc is useful, as there are many concepts you don't get from just looking at code. Peruse whatever method motivates you to get the basics down, but just keep that in mind.
>>
Slow down buddy. As a beginner you have absolutely no business with that API. Act like it doesn't exist because in all honesty you have no idea what its really for. Just learn one at a time or you'll probably burnout like half the NEETs that tried and failed before you.

Also drop the mentality that you're marrying the first language you learn. If you're going to be somewhat competent, you'll know several naturally and won't have trouble learning something new.
>>
>>57219421
I don't get the hate for oop
it is extremely useful for resource management and freeing stuff properly
you can create mutex guards that automatically unlock when the function returns
generic data structures for vectors and associative arrays are extremely handy and safe to use (write once, test it well, reuse without worries)

every time i try to write an application bigger than 500 lines of code c starts being more bothersome than it's worth

in c it's so easy to create memory leaks by mistake, the language doesn't assist you at all
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.