[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it could compete with the iPad and high-end

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg (409KB, 1920x1085px) Image search: [Google]
NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
409KB, 1920x1085px
Do you think it could compete with the iPad and high-end Android tablets?
>>
>>57212754
It'll do better.
>>
>>57212754
lelno. It can't even compete against flagship phones like the S7 which have advance VR support. This things is DOA.
>>
>>57212754

The only way to know for sure would be to know its specs.

We don't have specs yet, so any answer you get would just be speculation.

Unless that's what you want. In which case, my answer is "Maybe".
>>
>>57212761
Not enough people game for that.

>>57212806
It doesn't need to compete with phones.

Its limited in the level of market share it can get because it gaming device is never going to be taken seriously in professional spaces, but it could certainly dominate the under-25 demographic if it is marketed correctly. That is, as a general-purpose tablet with strong gaming capabilities that doesn't make you look like a turbonerd.

>>57212806
It doesn't need to compete with phones. We're talking about tablets here.
>>
Even if it doesn't compete, Nintendo could announce another game on iPhone and get fresh cash injections. I think they will do okay.
>>
>>57212754

Near as I can tell the only reason to buy it is for first party titles like mario kart and zelda. I own a wii u pretty much for mario kart and that is almost worth it alone.

The only reason to sell it however might be an attempt to unify their handheld and console markets. Since every game becomes a handheld. Though it is less portable then the previous hand helds. Still thats half the development costs if you can pull it off.
>>
>>57212841
We know it will be similar to the Nvidia Shield. We know it will be backwards compatible with the Wii U. We can be reasonably sure it will run games at a level that no mass-market iPad or Android tablet currently on the market can.
>>
it will sell well at launch but still wont be able to compete with ps4/xbox/PC. its like having a phone trying to compete with a full pc/console it wont be able to, considering the dock doesnt do anything but charge the thing.
>>
>>57212932
Problem with that is handhelds are dying too. The 3DS sold like shit. Only people who want full gaming experiences buy consoles anymore. Everyone else plays games on their phone / tablet.

So unifying console and handheld wouldn't do much. They can only be successful trying to unify console and mobile, which means the Switch has to be able to replace the iPad and Stacy's purse.
>>
>>57212993
3ds did very well
>>
>>57212993
*in Stacy's purse.
>>
They show some fuckboy playing skyrim on this thing, but when you look online at the games that are gonna come out with it, no Skyrim in sight
>>
>>57212754
ipad pro's A9x is 345 gflops, and this thing's tegra x2 is supposedly around 700 gflops.

anyway, i don't think kids nowadays really want either a handheld or a console, is all about tablets now.
>>
>>57213005
Not as good as ds plus the library is the worst of allnintendo hanhelds
>>
>>57213005
In comparison to what? At this point it has sold maybe 60% of what the DS did in the same timespan. And sales have slowed to a crawl.
>>
>>57212754
it's running it's own OS, I'm an old Nintendo dev fag, they literally write their own kernels and compilers and all that shit from scratch, they do it all in the span of 3 years
>>
File: CvN2pUIWIAAcxQ_thumb.jpg (57KB, 554x368px) Image search: [Google]
CvN2pUIWIAAcxQ_thumb.jpg
57KB, 554x368px
>>57213022
Here's a list of devs who are working on games for the Switch. With Bethesda and From Software alone getting big titles like Skyrim, Fallout 3/4 and Dark Souls 1/2/3 is already pretty big for Nintendo.

Personally I don't care for these titles too much, but for the average consumer these are the sole reason to own a console. I'm pretty excited to see how this will develop, but I won't get my hopes too high.
>>
>>57213040
That's the thing, which Nintendo hopefully realizes. It basically is a tablet with detachable controllers. If Nintendo has Android running on it and markets it as a general-purpose device it can replace an iPad for this generation of kids.

>>57213080
Been rumored to run customized Android for awhile.
>>
>>57213080
but seriously, what OS nintendo uses? will it run in a separate processor with separate memory like the old ones?
>>
>>57213097
>If Nintendo has Android running on it and markets it as a general-purpose device it can replace an iPad for this generation of kids.
You vastly overestimate children these days. As long as they have an iPad or Samsung, and it runs Minecraft or FNAF, they're set til it's no longer cool to play games anymore.
>>
>>57213085
>, but for the average consumer these are the sole reason to own a console
A console they already have, since they played those games on their Xbox, Playstation, or PC already.

If Nintendo tries to play the AAA game, they will die. No one is interested in replacing their PS4 or Xbone to play the same games on a significantly less powerful device. Focus on being a tablet that can run everything on the Android Play Store plus has access to Nintendo's great first party and they'll have something people will buy.
>>
>>57212754
No.
>>
i remember my 10 year old nephew had a wii at one point

i'd hang out with him while he was playing games. he kept trying to play super mario but thought the game was too had. he gave me the controller and I'd beat the level in one try. I mean i get that i've been playing games my whole life, but when I was this kid's age i had beaten every smb game from 1-3 and world and was in the process of clearly mario64.

he just finds angry birds and CoD more fun. my brother sold his wii because neither his son or daughter played it. i think lots of kids these days are just bad at video games. i don't know if the era of Nintendo games being a part of people's childhood is really still a thing.
>>
>>57213161
True that, but having both is much better. Nintendo better step it up with their 3rd party support this time.
>>
File: nintoasterswitch.jpg (36KB, 599x461px) Image search: [Google]
nintoasterswitch.jpg
36KB, 599x461px
>>57212754
why even bother to compete in the market they chose? it boggles my mind
>dedicated mobile gaming hardware is dying
>tablet market is dying
the nx basically combines the two shitty selling markets.
People will stop devving for it because:
>underpowered and a pain in the ass to develop for, this is 2/3rds as powerful as the original xbox one and microsoft had to release a revision just to give the poor underpowered vhs player some more juice
>doesnt manage to sell units by combining two dying markets
>installbase isnt large enough because no buys it
>3rd parties dont dev for it because no one owns the console
>cycle of no 3rd parties bc no one owns it and no one devs for it
>essentially wii u 2.0 in that regard
The design looks nice at first but after a bit you realize that it was just a couple execs tryna have a good ole laugh by trying to sell a toaster as the next nintendo console.
You know how people normally say "hurr durr the consoles are so underpowered they are toasters hurr durr"?
This literally looks like a toaster.
>pic related
dont mistake me for a hater, i want this console to do well. If nintendo dies the dream of melee hd dies with it.
>>
>>57213260
the nintendo diehards will buy it and keep it afloat for a period of 3 years, then the complete lack of interest from the general public will become so apparent nintendo will have to call surrender. you will get your melee hd, don't worry, it will be a playstation shop exclusive on ps3, ps4 and even vita.
>>
>>57213278
That makes me hopeful, but I'd rather not buy it on ps4. The thing is mostly an bluray player to me. If there was a steam release i would be a very happy anon
>>
>>57212754
High end, no. Cheap Android tablets, maybe. Assuming it can do most of the common functions.

Can these things communicate with each other for localized networked/group games? Then it's got that. Getting them to connect with each other will be easier then trying to get tablets from disparate makers to communicate.
>>
>>57213097
Except lower resolution and dpi than a vita. Sure as hell lower than any tablet/phone. Not to mention parents usually have a spare one and wont spend tge money for a new device
>>
Nintendo is out of touch with what consumers actually want. If they asked what would have made the Wii U better for me, the last thing would have been portability.
>>
>>57212754
All it needs is a good web browser and some basic apps
>>
Anyone else feel like the switch is just Nintendo's excuse to say they tried competing with the mobile market before they throw their hands up in mock disgust at their inevitable decimation and say "fuck it! We're going mobile."?
>>
>>57212754
no, because it will only play Mario games and that's it.
Hope someone gets to load android on it as soon as it gets released, that's the only reason somebody could justify to get this, other than that is just a gimped nvidia shield with funny controllers.
>>
File: IMG_20161024_072029.jpg (162KB, 1219x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161024_072029.jpg
162KB, 1219x1280px
>>57213085
>>
File: 1474426882045.jpg (68KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1474426882045.jpg
68KB, 400x388px
It's not competing with them because they don't have Nintendo's exclusive games like Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mario, Zelda, Luigi, etc.

It's a day 1 buy. 10 million views on youtube in the first 12 hours means it's definitely gonna be a success.
>>
I just wanted a PS vita 2

not this...
>>
File: screamminion.jpg (116KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
screamminion.jpg
116KB, 600x775px
>>57214011
>12 hours means it's definitely gonna be a success
>infinite warfare
>>
>>57212754

Probably be little more than an updated vita.
>>
>>57213428
You are out of touch with what consumers want.
>>
>>57214176
I demand at least as many cores as there are call of duties. I think it's the least they can do even if all 100 of them run at 1.6GHz.
>>
>>57214176
No, you are. Tablet sales are declining. Mobile gaming console sales are declining, and literally dead aside from the 3DS.
>>
>>57214256
The market for tablets has been saturated. Unfortunately, they are dying or going anywhere.
>>
>>57213463
Anything less than the Play/App Store is worthless.
>>
it'll be popular with numales and gamer grrls that think ps and xbox represents toxic masculinity
>>
>>57214358
or people who already own a PC
>>
>>57212942
>We know it will be backwards compatible with the Wii U

Do we? It has no optical drive, and a totally different graphics chipset. Unlikely.
>>
Only with 3ds compatibility
>>
>>57214402
>>57214380
>>57212942

It's not backwards compatible with any older system, stop guessing you spastics.

https://youtu.be/Dtwrr6vG0eU
>>
>>57214380
And that doesn't even factor in the completely different architecture. I could see DS/3DS games being compatible but the GC/Wii/Wii U, no way.
>>
>>57214417

>watching reviewfatusa
>>
File: nintendo-ceases-wii-u-production.jpg (55KB, 1540x1001px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-ceases-wii-u-production.jpg
55KB, 1540x1001px
did the Wii U lift?
>>
What if it run steamos + andoid/nintendos?
What could go wrong
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.