[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"You know anybody who can network 8 connection machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Dennis.jpg (50KB, 450x429px) Image search: [Google]
Dennis.jpg
50KB, 450x429px
>"You know anybody who can network 8 connection machines and debug 2 million lines of code for what I bid for this job? Because if he can I'd like to see him try."

I'm not very tech savvy, is this impressive by real-life 1993 IT standards?
>>
Still impressive, even by today's standards.
>>
>network 8 connection machines
literally meme machines
>debug 2 million loc
Would be almost impossible for one person even with modern software development tools
>>
>>57212542
>even by today's standards
>implying today's standards aren't way worse
>>
>>57212580
>connection machines
>meme
What do you mean by this? They existed.
>>
>>57212524
>debug 2 million lines of code

That's just impossible, even if he had written it himself
>>
>>57212588
This. People are way more shit than 20 years ago
>>
File: Nedry.jpg (99KB, 768x574px) Image search: [Google]
Nedry.jpg
99KB, 768x574px
GENTOO USER, WE GOT A GENTOO USER HERE

See, nobody cares
>>
>>57212694
>Muh romanticized past
Everything and everyone has always been shit and the year that it is has nothing to do with it.
>>
a true genius like bill gates can debug 1 billion lines of asm / hour
>>
clutering sparc ain't no thing. they were just using them to run HMMR and CLUSTAL for gene sequencing.
>>
I don't know OP. Try it out for yourself

https://jurassicsystems.com/
>>
maybe they were just simple syntax errors.
like "whoops, the programmers forgot 2 million semicolons"
>>
cross-posting the /tv/ thread I see

there's some pretty fucking dumb responses, you should all check it out
>>
Underpaid software engineers are practically keeping the world rotating at this point.
>>
>>57212524
It's not that it's a lot. It's that it's stressful. Who puts together malfunctioning code in millions and then manages to sell it? Also 8 connection machines would be servers and switches. You don't do anything at those machines, the code manages all that.
>>
>>57213078
not every line is bugged
maybe there are a few tens noticeable bugs in those 2 million lines which a person can totally find and fix in reasonable time

you don't have to look into the whole codebase, just the parts that could cause the bug
>>
>>57212524
considering the machines he was networking were cray supercomputers, i'd say yes.
>>
>>57213131
>Also 8 connection machines would be servers and switches
It was more to it than that. there's a pdf if you want to know more: The Network Architecture of the Connection Machine CM-5
>>
File: 1463239883831.jpg (14KB, 358x358px) Image search: [Google]
1463239883831.jpg
14KB, 358x358px
How much did he bid for the job?

How much would you bid to network 8 connection machines and debug 2 million lines of code?
>>
>>57213173
(sigh)

did anyone here read the book?
>>
>>57213191
fuk ur bum kid i only read youtube video descriptions and thats ENOUGH
>>
>>57212729
False
>>
>>57213191
They were cray in the book; cm-5's were in the movie. Shown here with the blinky red lights.
>>
>>57213185
About three fiddy
>>
>>57212723
what'd he actually say at that part?
>>
>>57212723
Underrated.
>>
File: spoon-feeding.jpg (82KB, 584x389px) Image search: [Google]
spoon-feeding.jpg
82KB, 584x389px
>>57213617
He was saying the character's name (Donson?) loudly to prove that nobody around him was out to get him. This was because he was giving Dennis the barbasol canister that would help him smuggle the dinosaur embryos off the island, and he was paranoid somebody was going to catch him.
>>
>>57213185
About 3 fiddy
>>
File: Jurassic-Park.jpg (12KB, 363x267px) Image search: [Google]
Jurassic-Park.jpg
12KB, 363x267px
>>57212524

yeah well I know unix
>>
>>57213131
>Who puts together malfunctioning code in millions and then manages to sell it?

Indians, of course.
>>
>>57214312
microsoft
>>
>>57213617
>>57213747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6FXdloCUOM
>>
>>57213073
Nice, but how do I access security?
>>
>>57212588
code is more succint/dense in modern languages you dumbfuck. even old ones with new frameworks. there are many studies about the expressive power of languages which is one of the points againt using lines of code as a metric beyond very rough estimates of order of magnitude. you cucks
>>
>>57213204

>Connection Machines were based on an alternative to the von Neumann architecture
>Newman is the guy who operates them

POTTERY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_b4_lw0Gg
>>
>>57214327

Did he just smear shaving cream on other people's food what the fuck?
>>
>>57212524
/g/ personified
>>
>>57212729
well, we didn't have programmers making info-dense "clever hacks" all over the place

perl was the death of sanity
>>
>>57214494
yes we did, the difference is that there were less layers of abstraction which made everything simpler and more manageable by individuals. the system themselves were also simpler in terms of scope/features/etc
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.