[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>current year >you cannot use each of your monitors as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1402402802717.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1402402802717.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>current year
>you cannot use each of your monitors as a different instance of your OS as if you had 2 pcs side by side

Why is technology so fucking shit?
>>
File: burns reaction.jpg (28KB, 347x614px) Image search: [Google]
burns reaction.jpg
28KB, 347x614px
>>57207195
But you literally can. It's even better if you have 2 GPUs. Check out QEMU/KVM with PCI passthrough.

If you are saying running the same OS twice, well, I don't get why you would like to do that. It's doable with QEMU too, but it's not the "same" OS.
>>
>>57208605

This.

Oemu is based as fuck. I run a (debloated, networkless) Win7 guest on a Arch host without issues or slowdowns and the rig cost me about 600 bucks.

You just need:

- iommu supporting Mobo, CPU and GPU
- A CPU with integrated graphics or a second GPU
-2 Monitors

What you are essentially doing is simply hosting a Fullscreen VM (hence the second screen), assigning a designated GPU to it (or CPU with integrated graphics) and use synergy to move your mouse seamlessly between the screens/operating systems

It takes about 10 seconds to boot, the vm is at 95% of native speed, it's fucking comfy to use, as you use it just like any other dual screen set up and it isn't more expensive than a "normal" set up.

The only thimg you need to do is lool for hardware that supports iommu (most modern hardware does. The wikipedia list is lackluster as fuck) and install it.
>>
>>57209140

This is how it looks.
>>
>>57209235
very cool matey
>>
>>57209235
That seems utterly pointless. What is one OS doing that the other can't at the same time?
>>
>>57209870
Play assasains creed? Did you even watch the video
>>
>>57209895
Then why not run Windows + have a free desktop space then? Or Linux + WiNE?
>>
Can some explain to me what
>KVM
>Xen
>Qemu
are, what the difference between them are, and how they work together (if at all)?
>>
>>57210000
It's because most people like to put themselves through pain, and configuring the passthrough is painful.
What else are we going to do with our days?
>>
>>57210000

Cause wine is shit and you have a regular 2 screen setup until you actaully boot the guest. When you boot the guest you practically still have a regular 2 screen setup, except one screen is a different OS.

This setup allows you to quickly boot up an emulation layer when you need to use software that isn't supported by linux with full speed and without having to tinker with fucking wine.

It's a simple and effective solution; It doesn't require high end or niche hardware; it's fast and doesn't have restrictions in it's usability unlike vbox or wine; it's comfy and just werks.
>>
>>57210436
Or you can use an OS that supports all the software you need to use, like Windows.
>>
>>57210287

Google "qemu kvm"; there are plenty of guides.

qemu is a vm software and kvm basically allows you to dedicate hardware to virtual machines.

If you use qemu+kvm you can host a guest vm with almost no performance decrease.

If you combine this setup with a program like synergy (is used to use a single mouse/keyboard on multiply machines simultaniously) you basically have a seamless parallel boot of windows (easily sanboxable) and linux with full functionality at the push of a button. Like in the video I posted.
>>
I think the more straightforward approach would be to just load a guest virtual machine with e.g. virtualbox on your host operating system. It works very well to put the guest OS in fullscreen on one monitor, you can drag windows from the other OS over it etc.
>>
>>57210494
how much time/effort would it be to set all this up?
I run gentoo as my main OS so I'm not one to shy away from tedious difficult tasks

what is the hardest part of setting up the VM? Why is setting up the GPU/PCI passthrough considered a pain in the ass?
>>
>>57210396

How tech illiterate are you ?

>>57210489

I mainly use Linux and there are only a couple of programs I regulary use that are not supported by linux. Not enough to warrent using windows as a main OS (set aside the privacy issues)

Basically Linux is my main driver and imo way too good to switch. It's way more comfortable to enjoy the huge benefits Linux has for me and host a windows guest now and then, than switching to windows full time.
>>
>>57210531
>hardest part of setting up the VM
or rather, the hardest part of the entire process, full stop?
>>
How hard (or easy) is it to get SLI to work in a Windows VM? Will it just work normally if you pass through both cards or is there extra shit to do?
>>
>>57210531
How long it takes depends on the user. If you can read and you have a basic understanding of using a computer, it's pretty easy.

Saying it's in a pain in the ass is like saying: "installing gentoo (TM) is way too complicated, just use windows".

>>57210513

This method's problem is the huge performance decrease.

With qemu passthrough you're basically just setting up a regular vm like you described, but you're dedicating / passing through hardware directly to the VM, allowing 95% native speed and seamless usability.
>>
>>57210568
Nvidia is known to cause problems with passthrough vms as their cards are designed to shut off as soon as they detect that they're running in a vm.

Which is shit behaviour on nvidia's side.
>>
>>57210611
That's shitty, though sadly perfectly in line with NVIDIA's way of doing business. I no longer own AMD cards, but out of sheer curiosity, does CF "just work" with passthrough or does it have issues as well?
>>
>>57210707

I don't know for sure, but I aee no reason it shouldn't
>>
blah blah[/]
>>
poop
>>
The whole idea just sounds autistic as fuck. Why do you need 2 OSs running at the same time other than to dickwag on /g/?
>>
>>57211989
You have to be pretty plebian to not be able to think of a single reason for it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.