[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/, I am planning to start work on a game for unreal engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: unrealengine.png (38KB, 288x343px) Image search: [Google]
unrealengine.png
38KB, 288x343px
Hello /g/, I am planning to start work on a game for unreal engine 4 but know nothing about development. What are your recommendations for starting? (ie: Programming languages, software, etc.)
Thank you!
>>
Start doing basic software and then you can eventually think about making a game
>>
But what would be a good starting point? Anything specific?
>>
>>57206678
>>>/vg/agdg
>>>/wsr/1
>>
>>57206600
Start by learning how to actually develop a game in some shitty engine like Game Maker. Make something with a really basic gameplay loop. Hell emulate Flappy Birds for all I care. If you have no real clue how to develop a game or what makes good game design then you're just not going to achieve anything. Having decent skills in 2D/3D, code, and writing doesn't magically make a good game.

Only upgrade to UE4 when you feel you've gotten the essentials down.

Also >>57206855
>>
Jumping straight into coding is a sure way to fail miserably.

Get a pencil and a piece of paper.
Start writing out what you want from the game.
Organize your notes.
Open photoshop or a painting program (krita is a really nice open source one).
Doodle your character, note what features it will have. Go to opengameart.org, if you're too lazy or incompetent, you can use assets from there.
Work on background/level. Where will your game take place? Go check your worldofleveldesign.com, they have nice tutorials and inspiration there.
Once you decide what your game will be like, and once you organize your ideas, only then it would make sense to jump into the engine. Unreal has visual logic, it will be more than enough to prototype your game. Look for tutorials on youtube to get started.

>tldr plan your game before making retarded threads, you gaben wannabe. also this: >>57206902
>>
>>57206600
first off use an engine that isn't ugly as sin
>>
>>57206636
Just don't, both mindsets are way too different.

>>57207043
>>57206902
If you want to develop games just design, do clone games, deconstruct them and iterate.
Also, try to go to local game jams.

After that, If you want to get into programming pick up something like love2d or pixijs that allows you to "put image at X and Y" and try to do a bullet hell or a strategy game...
>>
>>57206600
>Unreal engine
Just use Godot. It's less bloated and easier to use. It's literally a better version of game maker with proper 3D support.
>>
>>57207043
This is the worst advice you could give to someone who wants to make games, GDD are just masturbation especially if you're doing something that wasn't already been done to death.

>>57206600
Actually there's two types of answers depending on what you want to do.
1. do you like or want to get into programming ? -> learn C++ or python and do classic clones(tetris, snake, breakout, some shmup, rogue-like, mario, zelda etc) without any engine, just libraries.
2. You don't like or don't want to get into programming ? -> pick an engine (Unreal, GMS, unity, etc) and do classic clones

You'll gain knowledge (programming and/or design) and then you'll be able to move on to more complicated, unique stuff that you came up with.

If you're designing the best advice i can give you is don't plan too ahead : have a direction to move towards and think what you need to do to move from the point you are to the point just ahead of you.
>>
>>57207424
>tells people they give terrible advices
>recommends game maker and Unity
You can't be serious.
>>
>>57207485
I don't recommand game engine in general i don't like them. Hence why i only know the most known.
>>
>>57207424
>Planning what the hell you're doing is bad

Yeah sure thing buddy I'll just aimlessly make something and sit at my computer for hours on end trying to figure out how to make what's already a convoluted mess from the get-go due to a lack of understand as to what's actually important
>>
>>57207577
And what is happening when you're writing a GDD ? You just aimlessly make something and sit at your computer for hours on end trying to figure out how to make what's already a convoluted mess from the get go.

I mean sure if you want to spend your time writing what is literally pseudo code instead of working on your game go for it.
>>
>>57206600
Also, every now and then do a reality check at http://yourgameideaistoobig.com/
>>
>>57206600
You are retarded, learn to hello world first then gradually move up in code complexity. Its not something that you will learn in a day or a week. If you have no prior experience in programming it will take you years you dumb millenial
>>
mfw unreal engine is the only reason i still boot into windows after using linux for more than 2 weeks straight and getting attached to it, but installing it on linux is painful as fuck and there are so many errors while installing
>>
>>57207769
>using linux for more than 2 weeks straight

wew lad: the post
>>
>>57207836
:^)
>>
>>57207653
>t. high school drop-out self-taught programmer

Are you gonna build a fucking house without blueprints? Are you gonna build a house without any idea of what you want in it and how realistic it would be to have that there to begin with? What if you want to change something about that house you're in the middle of building? Well now you have to tear down some shit and build something else in it's stead, which means having to spend more time redoing something that you could've done from the start.
>>
>>57207653
If you're sitting aimlessly at your computer trying to figure out your idea, then your idea fucking sucks and you should think of something else. If you already know what you want, then it shouldn't be hard to put it into a blueprint to begin with.
>>
>>57206600
don't, there's enough shitty games already.
Keep producing android games, Pajeet.
>>
There's nothing wrong with having big ideas. You just have to keep in mind that teams of many people with years of professional experience + funding make the kinds of games you probably play (you likely know that already). It's also true that many indie developers can create fun games by skillfully applying their skills to create gameplay without huge budgets, and you can too someday.

You're going to need to learn programming first. I don't know what kind of programming knowledge you already have, but UE4 runs on C++ so go google some tutorials. Then do them. Then find more tutorials. Then read documentation. Live and breathe C++ until you can write the tutorials yourself, blindfolded.

Then go learn 3D modelling and animation (also fields that people literally dedicate their life to, but you can probably learn enough to scrape a prototype together). Then learn art design.

Now go get UE4 and learn how it works. Make clones of other game mechanics, and suddenly you will gain new insight into the the workings and problems with how these mechanics work. Keep doing it until you don't need reference to make a simple project.

Now go learn good game design and what makes a game fun to play (good luck). Is your idea still good? Great! Can you make it all yourself? Maybe? Why not, go ahead and try it.

Much later after starting your main project, despite innumerable barriers, impossible odds, you have created a polished and complete game, with the features you set out to include and has been tested and is fun. Now go through steam greenlight, and try to market your game. If you're lucky (and actually know good game design, not just convinced yourself you do) you might be sucessful. Now you can start a studio or keep making games or whatever you want.

Personally I like unity and C# more, and would recommend those, but whatever you want. If you want actual advice about your game, I'm gonna need specifics.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.