[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will the change in architecture, from there (somewhat traditional)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: switch_logo.0.0.png (113KB, 2000x1071px) Image search: [Google]
switch_logo.0.0.png
113KB, 2000x1071px
Will the change in architecture, from there (somewhat traditional) use of PowerPC in their consoles, to the ARM architecture help or hinder the success of the console, or the 'port-ability' of games for 3rd party developers?

Discuss.
>>
File: uploadfromtaptalk1457508836809.jpg (41KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
uploadfromtaptalk1457508836809.jpg
41KB, 1024x576px
>>57199054
the developer support on that shit will be as terrible as the 3DS and Wii U were and to answer your question no, we just use their ARM compilers given from the SDK, with 3DS and Wii U they include compilers and simple tools for things like bcwav, bcmdl and simple shit to get stuff going, they make you figure shit out on your own mainly and the licensing and costs for all that shit is over $5,000 dollars and the NDA is HELL
>t. previous 3DS developer and friend of Wii U developers
this is a photo a year ago from my busted Galaxy S5 camera and when I was about to sell my CTR Panda Unit, ask me anything
>>
>>57199626
what are the compilers? specialized version of gcc or something?
>>
>>57199054
Wasn't the Game Cube MIPS?
>>
>>57199861
no, shit that runs on top of LLVM that compiles specifically for the 3DS's ARM processors (ARM9 and ARM11)
>>
>>57199054
Didn't the Wii have an ARM core inside?

Hasn't the Gameboy been ARM ever since the Advance?

If anything, everybody and their mom's game development studio would straight up port all their Android JNI code to it to make a quick buck.
>>
>>57200509
Yes and yes, Nintendo's only known different processors that weren't ARM were PPC and MIPS
>>
>>57199890
no
>>
>>57199054

We are talking of a Tegra X2, if lucky. Expect thermal throttling, 25fps and 720p to achieve current mobile phone results.

DOA.
>>
>>57200509
Wii was basically a GameCube+ (early wii dev kits were NGC dev kits with WiiMote attached), and GameCube was PowerPC.
>>
>>57200516
Wrong. Z80 (GB, GBC)? 6502 (NES)? Special 16-bit 6502 (Super Nintendo)?
>>
>>57200566
>i know nothing about the tegra x2
Why even post this? To sound smart?
>>
>>57199626
Another dev here, and I agree to all of what this dev says. But there is more to this story. Nintendo knew so much that they fucked up their tools to do anything feasible that they are pushing for Unity3D development and usage on their platforms. With a standard WiiU license one gets only the special Unity editor, and they wanted the same with 3DS, but as Unity is pretty much bloated, 3DS couldn't handle it.
Also, I'm pretty much suprised my fellow dev that you even snugged a photo of your panda 3DS. My NDA is so strict that if I'd do that then I'd got thrown away.

>>57199054
These days it does not really matter. As mentioned, Nintendo makes a broad use of unity on their consoles, and yes, unity is a piece of shit, but it's a piece of shit that actually works and there is no good alternative to make games quick for a shitload of platforms (Unreal Veteran here). Also Nintendo did announce a sort of new dev tools that are yet to be seen (and noone has an idea what those would turn out to be really).
>>
>>57200748
Unity is coming to the New 3DS, and yeah I did a lot to get a picture out, like posting with a VPN over SSL and TOR and leaving no trace in the picture or anything, are you a 3DS or Wii U or a dev for both?
>>
>>57200748
Another dev. They actually give two keys now. One for wii u development and another key for Unity 5. Not sure why, but hey free $1500 license so I'm not complaining.
>>
>>57200967
not to mention Javascript
>J A V A S C R I P T
developing for the Wii U was hell on earth
>>
>>57200998
You're referring to that shitty cheap dev kit right? The only difference is 1gb of less memory and that bullshit still costs over $1000 and can only run web apps. What the fuck nintendo? Such bullshit.
>>
>>57201007
that exact one, I really hope Switch development isn't shit tier like Wii U shit was
>>
>>57201015
I went to steam dev days and happened to run into the team working on nintendo's development software. Those people are morons, so I don't expect it to get any better, sorry.
>>
>>57199626
You read the Nvidia blog? Actually makes me hopeful

They've co-developed with Nintendo the Chip, new hardware physics engine, new gameworks stuff (ehhhh) but most interestingly is the new API and DevKits.

I'm still waiting to hear back about when smaller indie studios can get their hands on the DevKits but from what I've heard people like it.
>>
>>57201029
Oh I quit due to "health issues" (really I just felt like I was in North Korea with the whole NDA prison) like a year ago and just do homebrew shit since it's much more tolerable, I can actually do more shit on a retail unit than a dev unit which is nice
>>
Are you developing to 3DS using C++?
>>
>>57200748
>there is no good alternative to make games quick for a shitload of platforms

This is because video game consoles are closed platforms. Nintendo hardware has been a walled garden since the very beginning. They have no intention of stopping this either, the cancerous attitude of secrecy and greed runs deep. Maybe some day, many years from now, we will have a way to produce hardware that doesn't involve this kind of anti-capitalist nonsense.
>>
File: ntile_3ds_charmodel_cpp.png (146KB, 772x795px) Image search: [Google]
ntile_3ds_charmodel_cpp.png
146KB, 772x795px
>>57201415
Not OP, but I used to
>>
>>57201558
why don't you delegate matrix multiplications to compute shaders? are you trying to kill the device?
>>
>>57201572
>compute shaders
The PICA doesn't even have fragment shaders
>>
>>57201618
Wow what the fuck.

I wonder how the fuck can 3DS handle skeletal animation, does it really handle skeletons well?
>>
>>57202429
It does have simple vertex shaders, but they're pretty awkward, so we just did it on the CPU.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.