[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating the definitive GNU/Linux distro. I'll start...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1428285946952.jpg (123KB, 850x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1428285946952.jpg
123KB, 850x1227px
Creating the definitive GNU/Linux distro.

I'll start...

>Ready to use after installation.
>Bombproof stability.
>Intuitive interface, clean, nice to look at.
>If you don't want, you should never need to use the terminal.
>You should be able to do the usual tasks in maximum three clicks.
>Support for professional tools (Autocad, Maya, Cubase, Photoshop) without using Wine.
>>
File: desktop2.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
desktop2.webm
1MB, 960x540px
>Pleasant visual stimulus
>Friendly community feel
>Access to good tools
>Killer bitch
>>
File: 1476485099076.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1476485099076.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>57190889
>Definitive GNU/Linux distro
>Supporting proprietary software
>>
File: 1382526141595.jpg (138KB, 867x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1382526141595.jpg
138KB, 867x1300px
>photoshop
Just use GIMP.
>>
File: 1468776808990.jpg (28KB, 415x464px) Image search: [Google]
1468776808990.jpg
28KB, 415x464px
>>57190981
Do you dare to compare?
>>
OpenBSD with Windows-level support is all I ask for.
>>
>>57190889
>does not include GNU in its distribution name making it just a Linux distribution
>>
>>57190981
No, Anon. GIMP is hot garbage no matter how you spin it.

Krita is the closest thing to a proper clone, but that's only for PS.
>>
>>57191030
Are you serious? OS X security is a fucking joke, and it isn't anywhere near Windows-level support.

https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2016/04/17/unprotected/
>>
>>57190933
Tripfags are usually stupid, but this one pretty clever.
>>
>>57190889
I think we mostly have it, but I would prefer these changes to your idea.
> Should use the terminal for anything sysadmin, with autocompletion and syntax verification on the shell and text editors.
> Should never allow Adobe to bring its shitty slow buggy software.
> Should also run Android software natively because why the fuck not.
> Should also be able to build from source apart from dealing with filewise installs to / and docker - like containers in the package manager.
>>
test
>>
>>57190889
How about bringing proper command line programs instead of GNU/Shit?
Why the fuck do I need to deal either with skeuomorphistic overcomplicated buttons like i'm sitting at a fucking ENIAC simulator trying to adjust dem knobs and read some plotter diagram, or using poorly written software that has no guidelines even within one OS distribution and not trying to wipe my fucking system partiton without asking me about it beforehead?
Something like Siri, but without botnet and keyboard-driven would be perfect future interface for a personal computer.
>>
>>57190933
obviously in this alternate universe those software arent propietary
>>
I think I know the solution OP, just install Windows.
>>
>>57191039
I'm still okay with gimp. Most of the photo repairs can be done in Gimp and the UI is usually similar to PS. Of course not perfect, but Gimp is free an every means and you are free to ignore/hate it too, though no one will care.
>>
>>57191545
Not him. I worked with Gimp too, for edition and photo correction, but the UI is simply terrible, you can't justify it.
>>
>>57191039
For core features, GIMP/Inkscape is very competitive with PS/Illustrator. The issue is that Adobe has developed a far superior font/typography environment that would be irreplacable for a lot of graphic designers. Krita is kind a mix of the best from both Inkscape/GIMP and it's quite comfy. Regardless, on Linux, when better GEGL and a better font backend for GIMP/Inkscape/Krita crops up it will be competitive. Surprisingly, finding other software replacements for professional software is easier
>AutoCAD, PTC Creo, CATIA
FreeCAD + CalculiX, Solvespace
>Maya, 3DSMax, C4D
Blender
>AfterEffects, LightWorks, FCPX, Nuke
Blender+Natron
>Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro
kdenlive, pitivi
>Cubase, Ableton, Logic Pro/Audition, FLS, Pro Tools, Reason
LMMS+Hydrogen/Ardour+JACK2
>NX, Solidworks, Abaqus
SALOME_MECA+cfd_study/elmer+netgen/OpenFOAM+paraview along with CAD model from FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, BRL-CAD, etc

Linux has shit pro software because no one wants to help report bugs and improve it. No one can shit out good software on day one.
>>
>>57191727
>GIMP/Inkscape is very competitive with PS/Illustrator.

kek
>>
>>57190889
>Support for professional tools (Autocad, Maya, Cubase, Photoshop) without using Wine.

How exactly would you like to do this?
>>
>definitive GNU distro
Arch.
>>
>>57191583
>baby duck syndrome
Jesus fuck, learn a new interface, kid.
>>
>>57191367
Name the programs you mentioned
>>
>>57192337
dee motherfucking dee. ayo wanna see a progress bar? no problem mofucka, just log in da next terminal and type some sheet on it yo
3 or 4 types of disk partitioners in GNU distribution. Why do do they waste space on parted, gparted, fdisk and cfdisk when they all do the same thing?
ffmpeg and gui video editors
>>
>>57190889
Better idea: how about a distro with Wine preinstalled and essentially "hidden" from the end user? All of the necessary modifications for popular software (Office, PS, etc.) should also be included.

For the rest of the list, these things shouldn't be controversial in 2016, yet they are. These are the BASIC essentials that are expected by the public when using a modern computer. But I have yet to see a single Linux distro accomplish all of these things at once. (With most distros, you can't even install Times New Roman without either a program like like Synaptic or the CLI!)
>>
>>57192217
Working hand to hand with these companies.

>>57191727
Actually, the point is to bring the professional market niche to linux, instead of creating a competition.
>>
>>57191727
>GIMP/Inkscape is very competitive with PS/Illustrator.
Close but not quite. But yes, GIMP's problem is less with features and more with UI.

Yes, they added single window mode. Yes, this is a big improvement. No, it doesn't fix everything.
Last I checked the list box in the Layers palette, for some bizarre reason, doesn't behave like OS list boxes or even other GTK+ list boxes. Thousands of little papercuts like this kill it. Details are key.
>>
>>57190889
Why are winbabbies thinking that support for programs is dependent on the OS and not the program developers? I never understood this tbhqwy.
>>
>>57192887
Just downloaded GIMP to check and yep, the layers palette is still fucked. Shift-clicking and Control/Command-items doesn't let you select multiple layers and there's no immediately apparent alternative way of doing so.

And for some bizarre reason, GIMP detected my system as Japanese even though it's a 1-week old north american OS install that I've never switched locales on, so now GIMP is running in Japanese mode and is practically useless to me. Good job guys.
>>
>>57190889
With the exception of...
>>Support for professional tools (Autocad, Maya, Cubase, Photoshop) without using Wine.
... you've just described OpenSUSE. Congratulations.
>>
>>57190981
Circles.
>>
>>57192770
>Working hand to hand with these companies.

lol with what money
>>
>>57193278
I just remembered that linux devs are poorfags :(
>>
>>57193275
>using photoshop to draw circles
ISHYGDDT.
>>
>>57193397
Well I'm sure as shit not gonna do it in GIMP.
>>
>>57190889
>>If you don't want, you should never need to use the terminal.
>>You should be able to do the usual tasks in maximum three clicks.
>>Support for professional tools (Autocad, Maya, Cubase, Photoshop) without using Wine.
and what's your plan to achieve these three?
>>
>>57193415
Why not you sick fuck? I can produce exactly the same output in both applications. I'd ask you to tell which is which, you wouldn't be able, and it takes me the same time because I know both well.

No matter how you put it, if you can't do both you're just a fucking retard.
>>
>>57193421
>and what's your plan to achieve these three?
1 and 2. Complete redesign, with a main goal in mind: the users.
3. Close relationship with professionals, giving them the tools they need.

Of course, taking advantage of what's already done.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.