[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is using a graphics card as a means of heating up your room a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 177x285px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 177x285px
Is using a graphics card as a means of heating up your room a bad idea?

I don't have a heater or anything like that, and turning the actual heating of my house on in the middle of the night is a no go. I have a 980Ti and usually just run Unigine Valley in a window when I'm sitting browsing the internet or whatever as it doesn't slow anything down but makes quite a bit of heat.

Is this bad for the lifetime of the card?
>>
>>57185657
Are you ill?
>>
>>57185657
It won't heat up your room is the main problem. Maybe a degree, but only if you have a well insulated home and you close the door to the room. And the room is small. Consider a space heater is usually around half a kilowatt on the very low end and one of those portable radiator things poor people use is more like 2kw.
>>
>>57185723
My room is pretty small and I shut all the windows and doors obviously. It does heat the room up quite a bit because if I leave the room and come back theres a blast of hot air when I open the door to go back in.
>>
>>57185657
Buy an older AMD graphics card if you want an oven graphics card, nVidia cards are constantly working on developing lower TDP, lower temp devices while maintaining a steady increase in performance.
>>
>>57185765
Humans can notice a difference in temperature on the order of half a degree Fahrenheit. It may not be significantly warmer in the room, just warm enough to be noticed. Buy a real space heater or get more blankets.
>>
>>57185657
buy a fucking heater
>>
>>57185657
Mine cryptocurrency with it at least you will earn to cover your electricity bill
>>
I sort of do this. Close the door and keep my main rig going. Even idle consumption keeps the room a few degrees warmer which is great. I also have a small electric blanket I use to keep my feet warm. Low consumption but maxium result. Only problem is cats which constantly try to open the door and waste my warmth.

In summer I try to use a laptop most of the time to reduce waste heat.

OP should at least be computing something useful. Try one of those distributed computing projects or cryptocurrency. That'll get you heat and it won't be useless.
>>
>>57185657
This is poor.

If you're cold, either buy a $15 ceramic heater from wal-mart, or put on more clothes.

Electric blankets are god-tier to sleep with.
>>
>not having a 390x with adjustable fans
>not letting it get to 80 degrees+ in the winter
PLEBS ALL OF YOU
>>
>>57186179
What Cryptocurrency is actually worth mining with an Nvidia card?
>>57186273
The heat you generate is a product of the electricity you are wasting, not the actual temperature of the card.
>>
>>57185657
And you cant afford a heater because? Why would it not be bad for the gphs card? Are you high and having a "creative moment"?
>>
>>57186332
tell that to my 390x

it generates heat without even trying

2x12cm case fans on it 24/7
>>
>>57186341
Yes exactly. The temperature of your card has nothing to do with the amount of heat you are putting into the room. Assuming two cards are running the same program at the same load, one card at 100% fans at 60C, one at 50% fans at 80C, they are putting the same amount of heat into the room the difference in temperature is just because the heat is being taken from the card with faster running fans more quickly.
>>
>>57185657
Buy a heating dish you absolute fucking retard. Jesus. I'm pretty sure you meant this as a joke but it came out horribly stupid.

Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater with Digital Display and Remote Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TTV2QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QTXcybVB234Q0
>>
>>57186367
Actually your quite wrong

With my 390x 48" tv and amp going the room heats up pretty nicely especially when gaming

only a smaller 3x6m room with a arch roof and good insulation
>>
>>57186390
I'm actually not wrong, I'm a professor of engineering thermodynamics at the university of your mams arsehole, so I know a thing or two about heat.
>>
>>57186399
Not my fault your shit basement has shit insulation

Fibro cucks btfo wood master race!
>>
>>57186390
you are just "diluting" (dissipating) the 80°C into a lot of 18°C air, you aren't magically disappear that heat
>>
>>57186332
library coin lbry.io with tpruvot miner will makes over a dollar per day on a 980ti

either that or ethereum using genoils cuda miner.

Ether mining will generate less heat as it is memory bottlenecked.
>>
>>57186433
>18c
>straya
lol never ever
>>
File: firefox_2016-10-22_10-07-18.png (6KB, 615x114px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-10-22_10-07-18.png
6KB, 615x114px
>>57186450
lucky you
>>
>>57186470
>European summer.png
nope
>>
>>57186273
>>57186341
390s aren't actually good at heating up your room. As soon as you turn off your monitors and it starts to idle, your room will be freezing cold in the middle of the night.
>>
>>57186399
Well executed
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.