[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to IRC? I miss public chatrooms, but now struggle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: page0_1.png (116KB, 790x499px) Image search: [Google]
page0_1.png
116KB, 790x499px
What happened to IRC? I miss public chatrooms, but now struggle to find popular rooms that are generalized. It seems like you pretty much have to find a special interest and only talk about that special interest.

Additionally, though, there don't seem to be as many people offering help on random questions like programming syntax or simple mathematical proofs. IRC as a culture died, and nothing seems to have replaced it.
>>
File: 150304_consumer-internet1.jpg (762KB, 900x2002px) Image search: [Google]
150304_consumer-internet1.jpg
762KB, 900x2002px
The web replaced it, just like everything else.
>>
>>57185634
IRC isn't even close to dead wtf. I even still see that pathetic chat room courtship going on.
>>
You just have to find good ones to idle in.. but odds are most in there have been "regulars" and will just circle jerk the entire time
>>
>>57185634
IRC is still here, but mostly dead. Freenode's pretty much the only net still relevant and even they're slowly falling to Slack and shit like that.
>>
#/g/technology on Rizon is cool
>>
>>57185826
>.pingme
>>
>nothing seems to have replaced it

discord
>>
>>57185932
>proprietary
>>
It's still alive! The main issue is that most good chat communities have become somewhat hostile to outsiders, because all it takes is one divisive shitter to tear a community apart (I've seen it happen a few times over the past few years). If you find one large community, stick around, and talk to a lot of people, once you're well known chances are if you ask about other channels, people will start telling you of some. I mostly hang out on SynIRC and at this point have found hundreds of little communities that don't even seem to be aware of each others existence, it's really wild stuff. I also recommend messing around with joining random # rooms, you never know who you'll meet. I've made some of my best friends to this day that way.
>>
Man.

In 2003 I found out about this thing because I got an internet connection fairly late. I met some of them people there, lived through many shades of drama, triggered some moderator really really hard. I met some real worthless assholes there, and some really decent people as well. But then I found out about this place, about steam group chats and some streaming channels with their own small communities, and I left this.

I left because I couldn't find any decent places, some people were sick of my shit a decade ago and some people I wanted to get away from.

Now I kinda wish to go back to that but I can understand this:

>>57187057
>all it takes is one divisive shitter to tear a community apart

Because I've been both the shitter and in a community affected by it. Not proudly so.
>>
>>57186823

Irrelevant
>>
>>57185634
It's called 'reddit' nowadays.
>>
>>57185634
isnt freenode full of shit like that?
>>
File: 1467779338770.jpg (133KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
1467779338770.jpg
133KB, 800x1143px
>>57185843
>autism
>>
>>57185932
it's even shittier than irc
>>
>>57187209
Kek good luck hosting your own server then.
>>
General chatrooms and boards just don't exist any more OP due to social media - twitter seifically in these cases. It's all specialized shit and if that ever does descend into general shit it's between forum regulars who can post about anyo old shit they want but you'll get banned for going an inch off topic.
>>
>>57185634
Well, IRC is a disaster. It's a humanitarian nightmare. But it has fallen from any standpoint. I mean, what do you need, a signed document? Take a look at IRC. It is so sad when you see what's happened. And a lot of this is because of the web.
>>
>>57185634
there are general chatrooms just not so much massive ones. People always end up finding their own niches or groups to be in, find the right ones for you and you're comfy for years.
tfw been chatting with the same ircm8s for almost a decade now, even after all whats happened through everyone's lives a lot of us are still around to chat.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.