[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone pls explain the difference between all these linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1476154132341.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476154132341.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
can someone pls explain the difference between all these linux distributions its all so confusing i just want to escape the botnet ;-;
>>
>>57184248
There is no escaping the botnet. Don't believe anyone that says otherwise.
>>
>>57184248
You can't escape the botnet.
>>
>>57184278
>>57184295
pls i dont know what any of this means ;w;
>>
>>57184347
Fucking kill yourself, make the world a better place.
>>
>>57184444
pls dont be rude i just need help (;_;)
>>
each distribution comes with different programs. you pick the one with the programs you want

if you don't know what programs you want, use ubuntu or kubuntu
>>
>>57184248

ask one of your chinese dick girls you fuckin faggot
>>
>>57184248
First off you leave Windows in order to escape the botnet inherent in a distro that logs your computer activity and can override control of your system remotely whenever the creators wish. GNU/Linux does not have backdoors intentionally added so that the developers can be in charge of your computer. You are always in charge.

That's just one layer. Beneath that, you have to be concerned about the hardware, namely your CPU, which might also contain backdoors.

https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel
https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd

But above those layers are yet more concerns. For example, the browser you use. Google also logs your activity in both Chrome (especially) and Chromium. Telemetry is not enabled in FF browsers by default.

But on an operating system level, you want something with as few "blobs" as possible, which are blocks of closed source code that no can access. These might be backdoors for all you know. If the Free Software Foundation maintained a better list of 100% free distros, you'd be able to just use those and consider yourself mostly botnet free, but that's not the case.

Since you are a n00b, and you want something private and secure but usable, I might recommend Devuan GNU/Linux, which is a fork of Debian without SystemD, which has privacy and security concerns. Install it in Oracle's VirtualBox program first to make sure that your computer can handle it.

I will now answer your actual request.
>>
>>57184248
>Linux Mint
A fork of Ubuntu using the Cinnamon desktop environment by default (it's very nice). It has horrible security issues and is considered a hack of a distro that should not be trusted, though users swear by its simplicity.

>Ubuntu
Stable and well supported OS that has privacy concerns in the past about its default DE Unity. Should be easy to manage. Don't know about its anti-botnet potential. I assume it's not as high as it should be.

>Fedora
The initiator of systemd. Perhaps should not be trusted.

>Arch
Pretty free as in choice making but not necessarily newbie friendly. It is useful for staying on the "bleeding edge" of software, as updates are released very frequently.

>Gentoo
For professionals. You have to know what you are doing in order to install it. It asks you to be specific about every step in the installation. It also relies on building from source rather than using pre-built executables.

>Debian
Also uses systemd. It's considered the stable Linux OS.

Everything else is lesser known and used, but you should look into them regardless.

Trisquel is a 100% free fork of Ubuntu, gNewSense a 100% free fork of Debian, Devuan a systemd free fork of Debian, Parabola a 100% free fork of Arch. There's also Slackware, Void Linux, Open SuSe, etc..

The differences in distributions for the user comes down to how packages are handled. Most other things are small and irrelevant.
>>
>>57185763
>>57185840
that's a lot of words, can you summarize this in 140 characters or less?
>>
Sure, just come to my house where I'll show you everything you want anon-chan
>>
>>57185851
Don't listen to NEET autists.
Install Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS and you will be fine.
Later, when you will become more familiar to Linux, you can try other stuff.
>>
File: 1392232742269.png (769KB, 1312x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1392232742269.png
769KB, 1312x1014px
>>57185851
fuck you then dude

you deserve the botnet if you can't read not even 2 pages of information

I hope you get trolled some more faggot. lurk moar or fuck off
>>
>>57185943
it's bait
>>
>>57184248
It goes bios->bootloader->linux kernel->init->console/userspace/services->Xserver->DE or windows-ish layout

Basically the biggest difference is between what type of packages/how software is installed.

Some install them already compiled from online, some download the source first then install them, some leave you to do it yourself with varying tools inbetween.

Redhat lineage --> rpms
Debian lineage --> debs
Slackware lineage --> tgz
Arch has they're own thing, Gentoo has they're own thing, but for the most part what they install is mostly the same.

Beyond that they're are some debated differences in the init program, some between what DE or how it should look, or one specialized set of tools to another and alot of preference on what specific tools the userbase wants to use.

But the biggest deal about it is you get to decide what you do or don't want (for most distros), add things that didn't exist, or alter the source code itself to make it do things that it never did before. Its all up to you.

In the end security, or escaping the botnet is damn near impossible but you can at least twart it to a greater degree
>>
>>57186003
sorry you lost me before the first line was over ;w;
>>
>>57186014
tl;dr
>bullshit arguments on how to install stuff
>bullshit arguments on how it should start
>bullshit arguments on how it should look
>>
>>57186014
also tl;dr
>The more effort people put into being secure
>The more effort companies and govs try to break it or make it irrelevant with shiny stuff.
>Rinse repeat
>>
>>57184248
as >>57185763 mentioned

You cant always be sure you are botnet free unless you cover your bases on so many levels.

Hardware cpus most probably contain backdoors especially newer ones.

Bios/motherboards too.

Atleast cover your bases on a software level, move away from windows or dual boot it if you need it for games or such.

Linux kernel does not have intentional backdoors most probably. all other software on top is optional.

Newbie friendly distros ubuntu/Mint
ubuntu has bad reputation as botnet with amazon since like 2 years so cant be trusted
Mint is a hack of ubuntu but might be botnet free

Debian is next in normie friendly devoid of ubuntu botnet but more maintained than Mint recently systemd cancer was included so devuan was made as a systemdless fork

systemd is made by an nsa employee who made a huge minikernel and forced it on many software/distros this minikernel is hard to audit so u shldnt trust it by default

start with these in a vm untill you are comfortable to use, then jump to more advanced distros.
Arch is great but you definitely dont want to start with that.
>>
>>57185840
>A fork of Ubuntu using the Cinnamon desktop environment by default (it's very nice). It has horrible security issues and is considered a hack of a distro that should not be trusted, though users swear by its simplicity.
Just because the website was hacked once for a few days does not mean that the distro is insecure.
>>
>>57186075
to continue

after the distro

use only foss software, most important adjustments
1.firefox with privacy extensions as explained in firefox guide(no script request policy,disable geo/pocket/webrtc etc),https everywhere,no history,agent spoofer optional
2.custom dns ex:unbound/bind9 dont trust dns service outside of your own system.
3.firewall

regarding internet better if shared ip/ap, you could use macspoofer,vpn,proxy

others will come as you go
>>
>>57186003
Good post but tgz has nothing to do with Slackware, it's just a tar.gz, nothing special.
>>
>>57186106
If they can't keep a website secure, how do you expect them to maintain a distro?
>>
>>57185763
How did you ever get the impression that op wasn't a troll?
>>
>>57186216
For one, there's probably a specific team or individual who manages the website who might not have anything to even do with the distro, secondly, a distro is not a website, and an exploit or fuckup in one does not translate to hack in the other. There's no evidence mint has serious security issues and thinking it does because the website got hacked is just paranoia.
>>
>>57186246
Fair enough, but it's still a shit distro.
>>
>>57186252
Well, if you're going to recommend against it, you should probably use legitimate critiques.
>>
>>57186106
The whole distro is a shitshow beneath the hood. It's held together so tentatively that of course it'd be insecure.

>>57186223
It didn't hit me until they kept saying they were too retarded even to read people's posts. non-/g/ 4chan users are too stupid to not carry out a thread here in the above way.

At least newfags lurking have good information now.
>>
>>57186246
>>57186288
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/

The last link isn't up-to-date since LM 18 AFAIK. Also, their forum database was also for sale ( https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/46w0jb/linux_mint_forum_database_was_compromised_mint/ ).
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.