[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know just some Python, but I wanna get into C and deeper into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I know just some Python, but I wanna get into C and deeper into CS. I've chosen C and Kochan's "Programming in C".

What do you think about this choice? I'm going for it anyway but want to get some feedback too.
>>
Modern C++ is more pythonish than C is. Learn C if you want, but you'd be better of with C++.
>>
>>57182205
I've been told deviating from the Python style of programming will make me good. Why C++ should be better for me?

I will have to engage into other style of languages in the end, like JavaScript or similar not-so-easy to read languages...
>>
>>57182240
C is good if you want to focus on few concepts and get very good at them

C++ is good if you want to learn how to operate a swiss army knife, which is to say, C++ can do so much that learning it is tedious
>>
>>57182079
Which book is best really depends on you, but that should be fine.

Most general programming concepts will transfer pretty well, although obviously C is not object oriented. The things that will fuck you in the ass since you are coming from Python are (probably) strict typing, and (almost certainly) having to manage memory. You are going to leak memory and segfault like a motherfucker until you get it down. You will probably need to get familiar with a debugger to hunt down those issues. Once you get a handle on memory management, transitioning to C++ is fairly easy, especially since you are already familiar with OO concepts with Python.
>>
>>57182240
Well, in that regard C++ is a big boy language. It has a proper static type system, so you'll have to grapple with that, but there's templates if you want something like duck typing (a bit of a pain/clusterfuck sometimes, though).

I'm just saying a lot of the useful things you'd want from python (namespaces, OOP with multiple inheritence, lambdas and higher order functions, exceptions, etc.) are there with C++, though you still have the low-level access of C.
>>
>>57182316
>>57182369

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm seeing lot's of issues with C here. What's the point on learning C and a non-OOP language nowadays, then?

My objective is just to get a better grasp of the nature of CS since I'm just a noob although I made some programs with Python during the last year.
>>
Go is the best one for everything
>>
File: tpop.jpg (28KB, 220x278px) Image search: [Google]
tpop.jpg
28KB, 220x278px
>>57182079
That's a good book. Also recommended is pic related.

>>57182205
Just piss off lad.
>>
>>57182405
>What's the point on learning C and a non-OOP language nowadays, then?
So you actually learn programming rather than getting carried away with the intricacies of a very complex language.

>>57182446
A Go is fine too.
>>
>>57182405
A lot of compilers are written in C

If you want to go into electronics or design of the hardware, or communication with hardware you will pretty much only use C or Assembly
>>
>>57182405
>what's the point of learning C today
A lot if stuff is still written in C, and a lot of embedded systems don't have a C++ compiler.

If you're working from scratch, C++ is strictly an imprivement from C. You could write C++ like it's C, or just a small superset of it.
>>
>>57182515
>C++ is strictly an imprivement from C
top kek
>>
>>57182491
Not LLVM.
>>
>>57182559
Fuck off. I'm out camping, and touchscreen typing is horrible.
>>
>>57182479
Do you recommend those two over something like "The C programming language" by K&R for a newbie on C?
>>
File: Nokia-E72-Review-QWERTY-Keyboard.jpg (687KB, 2576x1936px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-E72-Review-QWERTY-Keyboard.jpg
687KB, 2576x1936px
>>57182584
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.