[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you learn to solder? I want to learn since there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: soldering[1].jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
soldering[1].jpg
37KB, 640x480px
How did you learn to solder?

I want to learn since there's so many things I could accomplish if I did.
>>
>>57176046
I grabbed a soldering iron.
Burned my fingers to a crisp desoldering stuff.
Fixed a few things that needed fixing and thats it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s
start here and watch the series. It's not hard to do at all
>>
>>57176065
>Burned fingers to a crisp
H-how?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
I have a sampling keyboard that has a button on it to record through a microphone, but I always heard the button press in every recording I made. A friend told me you could just find the connectors for the button on the main board, and solder wires from a midi switch pedal to it, to use a pedal instead of the button

That was my first project. Soldered hook-up wire from the back of a board to a 1/4" trs jack, and mounted the jack on the back of the keyboard. Now I can freely plug in a switch pedal if I want to cover the functionality of the record button. I did a shitty job, luckily didn't fry the board, left a cold solder joint but it worked/still works and gave me a lot of confidence to mod my own gear.
>>
just do it desu, maybe look up a tutorial, it's not rocket science but you can do it wrong. I think bigclive on youtube has a decent video.
>>
If I could start over I'd have started soldering wires. Or any project that doesn't involve a soldering to a board

Maybe make a few extension cords into smaller extension cords by soldering on connectors
solder connectors onto audio cables

you're likely to screw something up the first few times, probably will leave cold solders too, I'd work on something that wouldn't hurt if you break it

for example, my first project >>57176263 would have put me out about $400 if I had fried the board, which I nearly did. As it is I left it with a very bad cold solder, will probably have to open it back up and fix it in the future, risking breaking it yet again.
It would have been smarter to learn on something more disposable
>>
Grab a cheap soldering iron
Grab some soldering wire
Grab a lot of small copper wires (you can strip old cables for that)

P R A C T I C E
R
A
C
T
I
C
E
>>
>>57176121
Stock images teach bad habits
>>
>>57176081
fugg, those old training/instructional/educational videos make me moist

https://youtu.be/b--FKHCFjOM
>>
>>57176689
>>
>>57176709
>>
>>57176716
>>57176709
>>57176689

lol wtf are all three of these people improperly soldering the SAME MOBO
its like they all took turns
>>
>>57176046

Lots of practice.

Find an old board and start disconnecting. A few hours later you'll get pretty good.

Just don't inhale any of the fumes for god's sake.
>>
>>57176701
I've seen that before, it's a fantastic video.
>>
Secondary school, electronics class.

I was fairly good at it compared to the idiots which would melt a bunch of solder onto the iron then try and paste it on stuff.
>>
>>57176046
Check louis rossmann on youtube
>>
>>57176680
>Grab a cheap soldering iron
I've spent years thinking I was bad at soldering and it must be a really complicated thing to do. Then I replaced my cheap soldering iron with an entry level soldering station (with electronic temp control). Bam - instant professional.

So don't do that, save yourself frustration and buy a decent tool.
>>
>>57176046
College.
It's not that hard to learn, it takes awhile to master though.
One workshop or following a couple of tutorials online should get you started.
>>
>>57176821
agreed
I started with a cheap soldering tool and It really is impossible to do good work with it.
Without any temp control, you have to manually determine when the tool is too hot, unplug it for a while, and plug it back in when it cools too much. Really only way to tell is to see how the solder reacts with it, and by then its usually too late
>>
>>57176121
Honestly I hated using gloves at first and was using a chink soldering iron that didn't have a proper grip.
And then I always blindly went for the iron instead of look at it and I usually grabbed it on the exposed metal.

Boy did I learn my lesson.
>>
>>57176794
I did this same thing, but was an idiot at first. Got better.
>>
>>57176716
is this photoshopped? wtf is wrong with his head
>>
>>57177173
It's called "social construct", anon. Just pretend that everything is normal and go solder something.
>>
>>57176860
I haven't seen anyone solder with gloves, not even back in school
>>
When I was in elementary school, my parents sent me to an electronics class at a local community center where we'd put together small DIY electronics kits.
That doesn't sound like something that would be allowed today, and yet it only happened in the late 90's.
>>
>>57176046
It's self explanatiry and I practiced with perfboards. Being careful is really important if you don't want to burn your fingers.
>>
>>57176046
What I did was buy a cheap adjustable-temp soldering station, watch Youtube videos like >>57176081, then practice on an amplifier kit.
Can't remember where I got it, but SparkFun has stuff like that.

It took about 45 minutes before I was confident enough to replace a fuse in my Sega CD and install a Playstation modchip. Soldering is really quite simple with the right instruction and tools.
>>
>>57176680
P R A C T I C E P
R A C T I C E P R
A C T I C E P R A
C T I C E P R A C
T I C E P R A C T
I C E P R A C T I
C E P R A C T I C
E P R A C T I C E
>>
>>57176758
photoshoped
>>
>>57176046

You don't need to learn anything unless you want to do something with SMD
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.