[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People like this make me ashamed to mention I am a CS major so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 8

File: reeeeeeeeee.jpg (84KB, 561x595px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeeee.jpg
84KB, 561x595px
People like this make me ashamed to mention I am a CS major so can you please just fuck off?

Thanks.
>>
running to 4chan to complain about people that rustled your jimmies in real life?
>>
>>57174908
yeah dude you're the supreme autismo

you love code so much you dream in it, you're the real deal

this guy has a dream man, he's going to be publishing commits for Poettering one day.
>>
Computer Science is just a meme degree

Get a degree in Mathematics if you want to make money programming
>>
>>57174949
This. CS is for people too stupid for a real degree, like mathematics.
>>
>>57174908
Blame Obama and the public education system for convincing every sub 100 IQ jackass that writing HelloWorld in notepad is a future proof career when they can't even navigate Windows Explorer.
>>
I have a bachelors in math and a masters in CS

I just mention the math degree so people don't think I am retarded
>>
I'm the same. I don't give a fuck about Turing machines. I just wanna create Android apps. Not everyone has to be a theoretician OP.
>>
>>57175020
Why do you need a CS degree to make an Android app?
>>
>>57174908
Aww fucking tard OP to ashamed to mention how hes taking CS?? Did you cry in ur moms ass too?
>>
>>57175040
Right, my bad... I shouldn't have replied because I'm not studying for a CS degree. I have an unrelated humanities degree.
>>
There are tons of people like this in my program. Cringey as fuck
>>
>>57174965
This so much
>>
>>57174908
You're really right. I despise each and every single fucker who came to CS and didn't expect to find theoretical courses and mathematics. They're the reason there is nowhere near enough algebra, calculus and arithmetic in the course. They take way longer than the required three years to graduate and are a general cancer.

What? Oh sorry you meant it the other way around :^)
>>
Is getting a minor in math enough to exclude me from the retardation of my fellow classmates?
>>
ain't nothing wrong with making video games
>>
>posts 9gag memes..
fuck off OP you're a faggot.
>>
>>57175151
>name it computer science
>everyone thinks it means "computers" in modern parlance and not "computer" as in calculation.

The worst part is that now everyone thinks you need a math degree to maintain CRUD applications.
>>
File: 1405969142493.gif (2MB, 275x154px) Image search: [Google]
1405969142493.gif
2MB, 275x154px
>>57174965
this sadly. this whole push everyone, especially minorities, into programming movement is whats ruining it.
>>
>>57174949
Mathematicians write shit code.
>>
>>57174965
What's the problem though? These retards won't get a job programming anyway. They're put into support or management.
>>
>>57174965
Yeah it's Obama's fault that 18 year old kids want to learn how to make video games in college. Fucking asshole ruins everything.
>>
I'll tell you that I used to see all kinds of people in my class, but those guys who went into CS "because I'm good with computers" are in the majority. What people fail to understand nowadays is that using a mouse and keyboard to browse stuff is not the same as making programs.

Hell, in a broader sense, fiddling with your smartphone doesn't mean you're good with technology. A smartphone is just a tool. A monkey could learn to use it. It's like saying in the 70s that you were technologically savvy because you knew how to operate a terminal.
>>
Theoretical computation is about as useful as music theory

who gives a fuck about the theory behind big O on machines with memory and CPU way above their workload
>>
>>57176322
Do an insertion sort on your machine with 1000000 numbers then
>>
>>57176322
I had a few classes on project management (software-related), and I don't remember what the fuck happened in 5%. I just went and got my textbooks from back then, and there's some interesting stuff, but most of it is useless for anyone below management level.
I once asked my project leader where he learned all that stuff (UML, CASE tools), and he said it was in a separate course. They gave those in college, but he said he didn't remember them anymore.

*CASE tools suck
>>
>>57176364
*I don't remember what happened on 5% of them
>>
>>57176352
Why the fuck would I write an insertion sort when every stdlib sorting library will have a nlogn implementation?
>>
>>57176352
Literally no one need to do this.
>>
>>57174908
Running time is O(n) you lying bastard
>>
>>57176260
Nah. You're thinking of physicists.

Mathematicians are worshipped everywhere, my friend. It's tough being a brainlet, I know.
>>
at least we can all agree that CS is a piss easy major
>>
>>57176418
Very good then. Mathematicians are notorious in the industry for writing shit code, stop lying to yourself.
>>
>>57176352
>sorting using only one computer
>>insertion sort
>>
Blame that one video with zuckerjew gates and some nigger basketball players promoting computer science education.
>>
>>57174908
that's why having a generic catch-all degree for IT is fucking stupid.

actual computer science is useless to most developers. highly abstracted business-tier languages and development patterns are useless to most computer scientists.

with that said, you don't have to be a cunt about it OP.
>>
>>57174908

>one represents all

Are you sure you're a CS major?
>>
I'm fine at my school because there's a gamedev containment major already
>>
>>57176260
Why do you say that?
>>
>>57176559
>>57176454
>>
>>57176454

Well, the guy who I work with got his math degree from MIT and does a pretty good fucking job.

I think you're jealous.
>>
>>57174949
>needing a degree to land a decent dev job
>>
>>57176650
>my 35k a year job for some no name company in flyover land is decent
>>
He has a point, there is absolutely no use in learning convoluted 3 row long equations to program effective code, unless you're coding some math problem solving application.
>>
>>57176834
Practicing those convoluted 3 row long equations exercises your logical thinking and attention span, both of which help you to write effective code, especially on a larger scale.
>>
>>57176299
fuck off nigger
>>
>>57176865
Short attention span makes you specialize and compartmentalize your code into smaller portions making it easier to work with for everyone involved
>>
>tfw Calculus II kicks my ass and takes time away from programming so I can get attacked on two fronts

Just END IT
>>
File: /devilish:.jpg (9KB, 158x200px) Image search: [Google]
/devilish:.jpg
9KB, 158x200px
>mfw i`m a programmer yet my degree was linguistics(philology)
>>
>>57174949
I am double majoring just because of this.

I know so many people who skate through a CS degree with nothing lower than a B without ever trying or really learning anything. That's not because CS is inherently simple, it's because grade padding is real and unfortunately many professors are forced to comply with whimsical meme departmental wishes that weaken the curriculum. The result is many dumb CS graduates. But it is important to realize that Computer Science is not intrinsically a meme.

Meanwhile, in my Math major, I have to work my ass off to get a B+ or an A. I can do it, but it's a stretch. Hopefully having a 3.8 GPA or so cumulative, alongside relevant internships, will convince employers that I'm not a dumbass.
>>
>>57177274
>grade padding is real and unfortunately many professors are forced to comply with whimsical meme departmental wishes that weaken the curriculum
My European university did not comply with this mentality. They let 90% of the class fail sometimes, stone cold, and rightfully so.
>>
>>57176912
So does proper code organization.

It is not by virtue of having a poor attention span that one is good at abstract thought.
>>
>>57177353
Can't speak for Europe, but here in the States it's pretty abysmal.

The university industry is colossal and has an incentive to make sure that everyone with cash will pass. It's morally corrupt. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I can see that the way we're doing things is undermining the purpose of a University.
>>
>>57177380
PBS Frontline recently had an episode on this, "Subprime Education".

100% publicly funded schools with strict oversight are one way.
>>
>>57176834
>unless you're coding some math problem solving application
which is the point of computer science, it's about COMPUTING effectively

you don't need to go to school to make CRUD apps
>>
>>57177435
In Finland at least, public funding is based on how many graduate, so they are definitely encouraged to dumb everything down
>>
>>57177435
My only concern is that we simply do not need a society where everyone has a college degree. I can smell a potential failure with:
>course is hard
>students fail
>claim it is because the course racist/sexist/*ist
>course made easy to accommodate
>everyone starts going to college to make more money
>degrees become worthless, no one knows how to do vital shit, skilled trades die, infrastructure rots

Alongside other doomsday scenarios.

The only question is how likely is this to happen, and in the average case can we expect a society that has an education system setup with 100% publicly funded universities to do better than our current system?

Although if the State provided the cash, then they could order research to be done in areas the benefit the most people and accomplish national objectives, which would be a good thing.
>>
>>57177494
The government should employ undercover students to check if the tests are hard enough, and cut funding appropriately.
>>
>>57176834
>computer graphics
>machine learning
>image processing
>physics engines
>computer vision
>audio processing
>>
>>57174908
>via 9 fucking makes me gag.com

just kill yourself you little shit
>>
>>57174908
I started following a CS minor with Art History as my major, got some pretty weird looks. Why do you have these prejudices? If some kid wants to make videogames let him be
>>
>>57177482
You do if you want to work at a good company.
>>
>>57174908
You should be ashamed of getting a meme degree. The videogame guy is right.
If you want stronk science get into a real science. Computer science "complex" stuff is kiddie shit.
>>
>>57176972
>being proud of completely wasting precious years of youth in university

nothing devilish here
>>
>>57177777
witnessed
>>
>>57177814
Arts degree, so like 2 hours a week in class and 10 hours a week in the pub

Don't think they wasted that much youth
>>
>>57177814
but linguistics is a great subject while math and math-like subjects are just some bullshit by autists for autists
>>
>>57176638
>one instance of a good programmer that majored in math
>must be you lol!!!!!

Nah, it's clear you haven't had to live with the horrors. I'm sure you see a pajeet taking a shit in a toilet and think they all do the same, too.
>>
>>57174942
not OP but I actually did dream about code one time after starting CS50
I can't even remember what the problem was but I was struggling with something in the earlier portion of the course, drempt up a snippet of code that solved my issue, I'd been thinking about it for days so it's really no surprise that it invaded my sleep, it was a really simple issue too, I'm just a shit programmer who doesn't practice enough, but dreaming about code was pretty fucking neat
I shot out of bed and added in the code while it was still fresh in my mind, was still fucking cool
>>
>>57177872
>paying $40,000 a year to go to a pub open to anyone
>>
>>57176711
ouch, not him but I live in illinois and am trying to get a job in PC support or IT
Shit's tough, there's nothing outside of chicago
>>
>>57177777
checked
>>
>>57177919
same here but solutions i dream never work, not even close. i thought it was a meme that someone could come up with something useful while asleep

>>57174908
i saw the same kind of plebs when at college, one professor even called them out and told them to gtfo, but think about it man, most people only ever use computers with programs coded by someone else, ie the only kind of interaction with computers they know is through graphics and interfaces enginereed to make it easy for the user, maybe some of them don't consider that for that to happen someone has to program the computer first, and think that interaction with computers is always like that. i dont blame them, i dont know everything either
>>
>>57177274
Math is even more of a meme than CS
>>
>>57176711
>my 100k a year job working for google is decent, especially saving up to pay for my wife's sons education.
>>
>>57178798
Literally the only reason you get to have that is a government keeping competition out by force. If smart indians like me were allowed to work there you wouldn't have shit and I'd make 200k minimum
>>
>>57176377
What if you have to write the stdlib then?
>>
>>57178867
some people thinks libraries are just created magically. they're just like the normies that dont know apps are coded by people
>>
File: pajeetscum.png (221KB, 576x242px) Image search: [Google]
pajeetscum.png
221KB, 576x242px
>>57178844
>If smart indians like me were allowed to work there you wouldn't have shit and I'd make 200k minimum

pajeet/kaffir, go please
>>
>>57178844
And if the Indian government did keep foreigners from buying property it would all be owned by American banks and investors in a year

What's your point?
>>
>>57178902
didn't*
>>
>>57178897
I see the truth hurts

>>57178902
They can buy it for all i care. I don't care about politics, I care that I'm a smart and talented programmer kept out of the main markets by force to pretend people like you from having to compete. Enjoy your bubble retards.
>>
>>57178844
Nothing against you but the in general people don't trust indians all that much with a puter because of pajeets over in india calling from microsoft support.
>>
>>57174965
That's wrong though. He made it accessible to people who never would have even tried coding before. Those 18 year old kids would have still wanted to code video games regardless of the president dumbass
>>
>>57178950
I could work with that if I was even allowed to try. However I'm not allowed to give it a shot at getting a job in the US because even though we grow up in misery, filth and sickness, americans fear us.
>>
>>57174949
>Get a degree in Mathematics if you want to make money programming
>Mathematics
>money
Fucking what?
>>
>>57178937
i would knock your shit skinned ass back to the sewer
>>
>>57178995
nevermind its an edgy kid learning python in coursera at his parents basement
>>
File: 987661507.jpg (131KB, 708x680px) Image search: [Google]
987661507.jpg
131KB, 708x680px
>>57177494
But they told me Finland was good at this education thingy
>>
>>57179011
Honestly if I had your privileges you wouldn't even dare to look me in the eye
>>
>>57179034
In the US you can buy a gun and shoot anyone you please
>>
>>57178966
>>57178937
If ur so great then why don't you start ur own company
lmfao
>>
>>57179068
>>57179068
Kid, even if you tried to shoot me, I'd literally take the gun from your hands then shoot you with it

>>57179083
Who says I wont?
>>
>>57177777
Wasted
>>
>>57179068
You can do that in every country
>>
>>57174949
I wanna go back to collage and study maths, but I think I may be too old (29), CS was the worst error of my entire life :(
>>
>>57178995

300k starting
>>
>>57176418

I'm a physicist and i write beautiful code.
>>
Better get an Engineering degree.

I have a CS degree and I really regret it. Just skated through everything and the professors aren't into math shit that much.

The upside is that I can use the computer labs all I want, but the Engineering department does cool shit that it's less of an upside than it is.
>>
>>57174965

wtf are you trolling about NO ONE GETS ACCEPTED INTO A CS PROGRAM WITHOUT A 600+ ON THE MATH SAT
>>
>>57179290
Proof?
>>
>>57177380
this, cs is definitely not everywhere a joke
>>
>>57180374
>600+ ON THE MATH SAT
So they know how to add, so what?
>>
>>57178966
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>
>>57178995

applied maths can get you into stock trading and other finance jobs
>>
File: life.png (310KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
life.png
310KB, 580x282px
>Shitty computing and information technology degree
>30K a year sysadmin job.
>>
>>57178995

I have a two friends with degrees in mathematics, both now work for JP Morgan.

They make more money than you can imagine. Yes, that much.
>>
>>57177777
I unfortunately can not argue these lucky numbers
>>
I have cs degree.

Today I would not choose cs. I would choose physic/math and learn programming on my own.

Math, algorithms, C and python is all you need. You do not have to bother with agile, scrum, juicing if you are not going to be code monkey
>>
>>57181686
I hear fortran still gets use for physics
>>
>>57181748
majority of physics Ph.d works for banks/financial instituations

Academic physic has meme salary
>>
>not being born into a rich family

>ISHYGDDT
>>
>>57181926
>5k $/year after taxes is considered averange salary in my country

JUST
>>
>>57176322
>who gives a fuck about the theory behind big O on machines with memory and CPU way above their workload
Theoretical computation and even complexity theory is about a lot more than big O, you're fucking retarded if you don't understand the difference
In a half reasonable environment hardware is operating at ~70% capacity, max utilization for every real world algorithm is inefficient across a system
If your machines are significantly underloaded then you're shit because you bought/rented the wrong hardware.
>>
>>57176454
If you were a math major it possible to think that programming is doing numerical analysis using matlab or maple because that's what they teach you first
>>
>>57178995
this

I think it's just a running joke on /g/ that CS degrees are worth less than mathematics, since probably 90% of us are CS majors and a mathematics degree obviously won't get you anything more than a math teacher position.
>>
Actually understanding logic machines is 1st year tier shit
how are you going to program vidya if you cant even figure out the basics of algorithms and computation?
>>
>>57176322
t. rajeet
>>
>>57180579
it's a sci meme
>>
This is why I'm in IT, not development. Anything that can't be done in Bash, Python, or PowerShell is you guy's problem. Ain't nobody got time for this shit.
>>
File: Trollface_17-403125921.jpg (79KB, 626x583px) Image search: [Google]
Trollface_17-403125921.jpg
79KB, 626x583px
>>57179290
>>
>>57174949
Software Engineer here. This guy is a dummy. Double major if you're so inclined but if you're not at a meme school getting a CS degree can land you a great programming job.
>>
>>57182829
whats the difference between software engineering and comp sci?
what kind of work are you doing at the moment?
>>
>>57176322
Music theory is more useful than turing machines and shit
>>
>>57183113
If you're making music, sure.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.