[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work in a pc repair shop and we also sell computers to customers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 3

I work in a pc repair shop and we also sell computers to customers too.

I've finally managed to convince my boss to try offering Linux computers for a small discount.

It'll only be for the budget tier computers like celerons and A4, to begin with.

What's a good distro to bundle with our computers and why? It has to be super noob friendly. I was leaning towards Ubuntu since most people will have already heard about it at least once in their lives somewhere so it might be familiar enough to buy.

Also, why aren't you going for part for bringing Linux to the desktop?
>>
Don't offer linux computers people who might buy them are the same people who will come back extremely angry that they can't install microsoft office
>>
>>57167723
Well we're going to offer them windows if they come back, for a fee.

Windows costs us ~90 dollars (Australia), we're going to offer the Linux pc with a $50 discount, then charge $99 for people who come back wanting us to install windows. We normally charge $130 to install windows so it'll look better to them but we'll be the real winners.

A discount for the inconvenience :')
>>
>>57167769
>make people angry then charge them double to make them less angry
Sounds like a great business model.
>>
My local public library runs Linux Mint on their computers.

If you convinced your boss to start offering Linux, maybe you should also know why? Do your own research.
All you people see is money.
>>
>>57167702
>Ubuntu since most people will have already heard about it at least once in their lives
Classic case of mistakenly assuming that your social circle is representative of the general population.
>>
>>57167702
It won't work. Every last one of them will be returned for a refund.
>>
>>57167800
>all you people see is money
That's the nature of a business, we're not here to operate at a loss, we need profit to survive.

>>57167796
They'll technically be getting a $30 discount.

Besides, if they have any issues we'll be offering over the phone support for the duration of the warranty period.

>>57167823
You'd be surprised. My moms friend who is super tech illiterate is using Ubuntu on her laptop.

>>57167830
Have you tried this? We'll also give them the chance to try Ubuntu(or whichever distro) before buying it. Like I said, it'll be offered at a discount over the windows pc with the same specs so I don't think it'll have as much of a negative reception as you believe.
>>
>>57167702
Why do linuxfags want everyone to use some linux distro so desperately. What does it matter to you what people use
>>
>>57167862
Why does it matter to you?
>>
>>57167769
What city?

Ubuntu is the only desktop linux distro I've heard of being bundled.

If you're selling servers then there are a few more options.
>>
>>57167895
Sydney, but not directly in the city. It's in the outer suburbs.

That's why I was thinking Ubuntu. It's been out there before, a lot of people will have already heard of it
>>
you have some high hopes for the average customer
>>
>>57167702
>convinced boss to offer linux on customer pc
>dont even know what distro to use for normal people
Your idea crashed and burned before you even realize it
I am expecting shits like >>57167723 or >>57167830 are gonna happen
>>
>>57167702
Here in the third world they say some destitute tier laptops with Linux, OpenSUSE (thus KDE) tends to be the most common option (for some reason).
>>
>>57167800
>running a business for profit is bad
Wew lad.
>>
>>57167919
OP clearly stated Ubuntu you idiot.
>>
RemixOS? It might be an easier sell telling someone the machine comes with Android and google apps.

As far as Mint/Ubuntu: normies love chrome, and installing it from a .deb is going to be way too much to ask of them. Unless you preinstall it and create the shortcut you'll get a lot of returns.
>>
>>57167702
normies are already severely retarded when using windows. why in the fuck would you want them derping around on linux? WHY CANT I INSTALL LEGITEMOJIFACEBOOKMESSAGER.EXE ON MY MACHEEEEEEN!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHERES YOUR MANAGER !?!?!?!?!?!??! I AM FREE STOOFFF !??!?!!?!
>>
>>57168001
I'll have everything needed for a normie preinstalled.

VLC, chrome, etc.
>>
>>57167982
If you kill your revenue, you win
>>
>>57168029
wtf I hate free markets now
>>
>>57168009
Then yeah, Ubuntu LTS that shit.
>>
>>57167702
>I work in a pc repair shop and we also sell computers to customers too.

So did I. With someone who made bad business decisions. So I have learned by watching someone else fail.

>I've finally managed to convince my boss to try offering Linux computers for a small discount.

This could be good, this could be bad. It's just as much work to put Windows on a machine as it is to put Linux on it. I say don't do the discount, I will elaborate below.

>It'll only be for the budget tier computers like celerons and A4, to begin with.

Why? Offer it on your top tier machines too. People really do engineering with Linux workstations despite what the Autocad freaks tell you.

>What's a good distro to bundle with our computers and why?

It depends. If your customer is running Siemens NX for CAD/CAE, then it's SuSE.

>It has to be super noob friendly.

All of the top 5 distributions are noob friendly. Even ones further down the list, like KDE Neon are noob friendly (my wife uses this). If you need to ask this question, you don't know enough about Linux to be installing it on $JOERANDOM's computer. In this case, you can only offer it to people who are willing to poke around themselves. This means actually talking to the customer about their needs before you sell them a Linux machine and determine if they are an autodidact.

> I was leaning towards Ubuntu since most people will have already heard about it at least once in their lives somewhere so it might be familiar enough to buy.

You do not want to sell Linux machines to people who have not heard about Ubuntu without explaining what they're getting into. "You don't know what you're asking" is a common phrase I've said to people like this. Also "I am not your Linux teacher. There are books on this stuff. Use them."

>Also, why aren't you going for part for bringing Linux to the desktop?

Gorbachev sings Tractors: Turnip! Buttocks!
>>
>>57168091
you try to look smart with your fucking enterprise name throwing and other bullshit, your facade fucking falls flat on its face because businesses and fucking real enterprises dont use a god damn local mom and pop computer store for their fucking needs
>>
>>57168091

Continued.

>why no discount on Linux machines

Because it's just as much work to sell them and just as much work to keep the customer when things go wrong with the computer(s).

And people asking for Linux are asking for special treatment. You can order whatever you like in a restaurant, as long as the cook can make it and you are willing to pay for it, sometimes at a premium. Boutique service means boutique prices.
>>
>>57167723
This. Offering Linux to people who buy celery computers from a pc repair shop is just going to piss people off.

If you're going to do it, then go with Ubuntu. What will matter more than distro is what software you install on it. Your user isn't going to understand package managers so when they figure out you can't install MS Office on it, it might pay to be able to say click on the whatever icon that runs pretty similar to MS Office. The same principle will apply to all the little things you take for granted in a computer. When you pop a CD in a drive does it automount? Does it already have ffmpeg installed to play videos? All of this stuff matters when selling celery to niggers.
>>
>>57168131

Decaf coffee can taste just as good sometimes.
>>
>>57168091
Well since most our customers are tech illiterates we figured we'd just use it as an option to offer customers the same pc for cheaper. We'll be getting a little more profit too so it's a win/win. We will offer it for higher end computers if anyone asks, but for every 10 pentiums we sell, we'll probably sell one i5.
Most customers just want to browse the web and watch movies. People who know better will just buy the parts from cheaper places and save money.

Since windows costs us roughly 90 dollars and we'll be discounting 50 for this, it'll be $40 in our favor and also look better to the customer because of the $50 savings.

>>57168060
That's the plan :D

>>57168146
Thanks for the advice mate
>>
>>57168163

>Most customers just want to browse the web and watch movies.

Then Linux is a good fit for them, but you have to explain to them ahead of time that Linux isn't Windows, and you can't install Microsoft Office without doing some magic, which you will offer, at a price.

Point out that LibreOffice and GoogleDocs do 99.9 percent of the needs out there for Joe and Josephine User and that Office Online and Google Docs will handle MS Office formats just fine if they get a document that Libre can't handle.

Ubuntu is Grandma Proof. Indeed, I find the users that have the least problems with Ubuntu are the more computer-illiterate ones. The so-called "power users" that learned how to correctly wave dead chickens at Windows *without knowing how computers work in a general sense* have the most problems.
>>
>>57167702
The only one which someone *might* have heard of is Ubuntu.

Of course, Ubuntu is fucking garbage and you get to deal with Canonical doing stupid shit like implementing their own X replacement instead of just contributing to Wayland and experimental "snapd" crap all while you can guarantee they still don't have an upgrade process which doesn't break the install immediately after trying to update an LTS build. Ignoring ofc how fugly Unity 7 is while all of their other flavors are either under maintained & out of date or look like shit.

Just don't bother honestly. If you don't know all of the stupid intricacies of all of the DEs, you're going to be ill-prepared to support Grandma. Grandma talks, too, and she'll make sure Carol knows about how shitty her computer from you is.
>>
>>57167862

because it really is better

> but muh gaymes
>>
>>57168423
>any entertainment besides moeshit is garbage
toplel
>>
The immediate, concerted surge of anti-linux shilling at every mention of linux is becoming very predictable lately. I wonder what could be the reason for that? It almost seems as though there's an organized campaign of some sort to turn the general public away from using linux. Very, very curious indeed.
>>
>>57167702
Don't be a fucktard.

TrueOS.
>>
File: 204gxpR.jpg (231KB, 766x758px)
204gxpR.jpg
231KB, 766x758px
>>57167702
Obviously install Gentoo
>>
>>57167702
Anybody who is going to be capable of handling linux is going to be passed that you charged them $50 for something they could easily do themselves for free.
>>
>>57169071
But Ubuntu isn't difficult to handle at all. It's easier than windows, that much should be obvious, even to an idiot like you
>>
>>57168999
Who makes these?
>>
File: 1367639702637.jpg (177KB, 600x740px) Image search: [Google]
1367639702637.jpg
177KB, 600x740px
>>57169071
>>57169078
It's all fun until they want to use their printers

>>57169234
Dunno, reverse search it if you care to know
>>
>>57167702
Linux Mint 64 bit with Cinnamon as the DE. It is easy to use, and WIndows users will feel most familiar with it.
>>
Elementary with a macOS wallpaper. Tell them is revolutionary and their computer will not get slower over time + no viruses.
Also no Windows programs, so install the most common alternatives beforehand and link them to file endings.
>>
>>57167850
>You'd be surprised. My moms friend who is super tech illiterate is using Ubuntu on her laptop.
Oh wow one person. That *must* be generalizable to the entire population! Anon pls
>>
You'll lose money on support/returns and nobody will know how to help over the phone.

Linux also breaks itself doing updates all the time with a GUI, your boss will hate you.
>>
>>57169469
You can set Mint to only do updates that won't break it.
>>
>>57169412
>>57169476
>mint
NO!
It's already broken upon installation.
At least do Ubuntu with cinnamon, but not some buggy piece of shit like mint.
>>
>>57169497
>le epic troll XD
>>
>>57169506
Stop recommending a broken os.
Especially not for a business to bundle with their computers.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html

Idiot.
>>
>>57169544
No one cares.
>>
>>57168442
He said linux was better. He made no remark about why, and it seems you don't know why linux is better. Linux isn't better for games. Linux is better for the amount of end user customization, security, and the file system is better.
>>
>>57170223
I see. Unable to provide a counterargument you waited one hour hoping I'd be gone.

Fuck off you attention whoring faggot, go join your desktop fags over in >>>/trash/
>>
>>57170314
>ad hominem
>>
>>57167702

1.- People who care about using GNU/Linux don't get it from shitty retailers, they install it themselves. You're gonna be offering GNU/Linux to people who only want a computer to use for whatever they use it for; no, they don't want to try a different OS or learn new stuff or save a miserable amount of money (like $30), they just want to be done with it so they can start doing the same stuff they've always done in exactly the same way.

2.- You said that when they come back angry you will give them a discount "for the inconvenience", well, How about you just don't give them the inconvenience you fucking idiot? When people come back mad and you try to sell them Windows with a discount they will not be happy you retard, even if you give them a crappy discount they won't be happy because they're already mad and have lost their time. Even if in the end they all accept it and understand that it was a misunderstanding, in a few years they won't remember the details but they will remember how fucking mad they were and that you had to give them a discount, therefore you had to do something very wrong and your store is shit.

3.- Why are you giving them GNU/Linux? Don't you make money from selling Windows? Aren't you trying to implement changes just for the sake of doing it? It's ironic that you're claiming to understand the nature of a business, because you're a braindead retard that doesn't understand neither people or businesses. And your boss is an idiot too for allowing a moron like you to ruin his business. Unironically kill yourself.
>>
>>57170592
Who said anything about caring?
Besides, most people don't use it because they don't know it exists. As long as facebook loads they don't care what the OS is called
>>
>>57170660

Congratulations on missing the whole point. Now stop being a mouth breather and read the rest because he's right.
>>
* Senses that the anti-linux guys are getting desperate and running out of bullshit *
>>
>>57167702
Remember to either give them a short crash course or hand them a sheet with basic info on how Linux works to avoid >>57167723 and make sure people know what they are buying.
>>
>>57170676
Read the rest of the thread where that whole point was already discussed.
>>
>>57167769
You are an idiot.
Do not open a shop if you are an idiot and don't know how business works.
>>
>>57170762

Already did, quote whatever specific thing you think is a solid point against that argument and I will be glad to debunk it. I have 37 years of experience as a customer relations advisor in the board of a fortune 500 that consistently ranks within the first 20, I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>57168423
>because it really is better
It has no fuckin software support you dumbfuck, that's all that matters. Linux will never happen, for the same reason windows phone will never happen. No apps.

Besides, there is not a single linux distro that looks better than even the shittiest windows out of the box.

Normies don't rice.
>>
>>57168091
>If you need to ask this question, you don't know enough about Linux to be installing it on $JOERANDOM's computer.
The important sentence about this wall of text.
OP is just a random linux hipster faggot who thinks it is "hip" to have a shit os.

That's why this operation will fail miserably.
>>
>>57167702
>Also, why aren't you going for part for bringing Linux to the desktop?
I have a life.
>>
File: 1471627219624.png (230KB, 1280x1024px)
1471627219624.png
230KB, 1280x1024px
Do the same thing as OP
repair shop and selling PCs

we offer linux, but we inform in details and I usually do linux 2 times a year only.
usually customers who go for linux are cheap and only needs very basic stuff
think webbrowser, and email client, some video and pic viewing
or they are bit advanced, and already had linux done to them by someone else and like it enough that they continue when buying new PC

Considering we are eastern europe, people are not rich enough to get windows, but they are also accustomed to pirated windows. We do offer them pirated version if we know the customer to be from around and if they show signs that they are not happy paying 110€ for win home or they are really tightening their hardware taking unnecessary hit

Mint is what we give them if they decide to go for linux.

>ubuntu
interface is too different
>xubuntu
screentears and I prefer not to do be setting up custom stuff, like compton, only to be then solving why some shit looks bad
>opensuse
kde is too buggy and customizable for your average moron
>debian
lol no, its debian

personally I am starting to think that we might offer ubuntu as well next time
>>
>>57168394
>Of course, Ubuntu is fucking garbage and you get to deal with Canonical doing stupid shit like implementing their own X replacement instead of just contributing to Wayland and experimental "snapd" crap
You mean, making their own thing?
Like what google did with android?
Yeah, that wasn't really successful right?

God people on this board are totally dull.
>>
>>57167702
>offering linux to normies
>enticing them with the price
>offering it on shit hardware
I Just got home from work and my sides have already left for orbit.
>>
>>57170787
For starters, op said $50, for a Pentium or celeron build that can be over 10% of the total price in aus, so many may consider it worth it.

Also can't be fucked going through the thread so I'll tl;dr it.

1.most people don't care about ricing and appearance as long as they can do what they want to do with ease. For most that's just browsing the web, email, social media, office, and media consumption. All of which is easy to do on Linux and the required software will be pre-installed.

2. If you can't calm down an angry customer and sell them a service then you fail horribly at retail. I've worked in parklea markets for 6 years selling accessories and I've had to deal with the worst fucking scumbag customers you can imagine. Also this next part 3 is related to this.

3. Op has stated he's going to give his customers the chance to try out Ubuntu and decide if they want it or if they'd rather stick with windows. He's giving them a CHOICE which will save them $50.
He's also stated that he'll be getting an extra $40 per sale profit because he won't have to pay for the windows licence.

You're acting like op is forcing it on his customers. Calm the fuck down.
>>
>>57170660
>Besides, most people don't use it because they don't know it exists.
>Linuxfags actually believe this crap
SHIGGYSHIGGY
>>
>>57167850
>That's the nature of a business, we're not here to operate at a loss, we need profit to survive.
Then don't offer linux dumbfuck.
Linux is a loss itself.
>>
>>57170871
I can't believe I'm wasting time defending op against you idiots.
He's making $40 extra profit per sale. Lurk moar dickwad.
>>
>>57170794
>guy obviously knows zip about linux
>expounds pretentiously as os expert
>>
>>57167702
it sounds good but just thinking of the plethora of fucking problems theyre gonna have is making me feel sick

ill make this simple and just say, itunes.
>>
>>57170826
>butthurt
>>
>>57170794
>Besides, there is not a single linux distro that looks better than even the shittiest windows out of the box.

let me introduce you to GNOME3 newfriend
>>
>>57170884
>He's making $40 extra profit per sale. Lurk moar dickwad.
No he doesn't dumbfuck. He is losing customers with the 50% pcs they return for a refund because people can't install software from their favourite "tech" website who only offers an installer.exe.

You obviously don't know shit about people.
>>
>>57170928
>let me introduce you to GNOME3 newfriend
If I want a system that looks like android, I'll just buy android.
>>
>>57170921
>I have no arguments
>I'll just shitpost and hope no one notices I'm a fuckin idiot.
(you)
>>
>>57171166
Stop shitposting.

>>57170928
Literally any other DE looks better, but I'd say MATE configured with a windows style taskbar might be best.
>>
>>57171233
>Stop shitposting.
How about no?
>>
>>57170410
> argumentum ad logicam
>>
>>57167850
>They'll technically be getting a $30 discount.
Yeah but the customer sees it as another $90 they have to throw away on a computer.

This is a bad idea and it's just going to make more work and hassle for yourself.
>>
>>57167702
Install gentoo
>>
What's with all the Linux hate ITT?
>>
>>57167702
Ubuntu LTS and make sure your customers know getting MS Office, Silverlight, Flash player(or other very Windows/OS X only software) won't be included or even work(without hassle).

For a specific clientele, an Ubuntu with specific user account restrictions is almost fool proof and much more simple than Windows is. Now if the customers ask their relatives' tech support, it's more likely that they'd know how to do basic shit on Windows or OS X rather than Ubuntu.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.