[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

“Most serious” Linux privilege-escalation bug ever is under

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (851KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
851KB, 640x480px
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/most-serious-linux-privilege-escalation-bug-ever-is-under-active-exploit/

Use Linux, they said.
It's more secure, they said.
>>
not letting this shit slide
>>
>>57165354
Thank you, Anon. Funny that all the /g/entoomen run and hide when something bad happens in Linux.
>>
>>57165248
This won't affect any regular users and it has been patched this week.
Please try to find a better use of your time other than fishing for replies on 4chan.
>>
>>57165443
And how long do you think it will take that patch to propagate to all the people using linux because they thought it was safer when in reality it wasnt?
>>
Probably nobody gives a fuck because they don't maintain services where this would be an issue.

Most of /g/ probably uses sudo with no password and everyone in wheel by default.
>>
Jokes on you nigger, I just installed Windows 10 and activated ALL the telemetry so that Redmond can keep me SAFE from botnets.
>>
It's fine, I'm running systemd.
>>
>most serious because it's not special at all >DONATE TO FREEBSD AND UN INSTALL LINUX TO FIX THIS
>>
>>57165474
coming form the person that couldnt even set up a media player.
>>
>Windows has a major bug
>Nobody panics
>Because it's all "part of the plan."
>Linux has a major bug...
>>
>that windows/macOS/freeBSD/IOS/Unix dont have exploits that have not been found for many years, and that those exploits are not just as bad as this
I mean shit its a huge exploit dont get me wrong, but its fixed
>>57165461
>And how long do you think it will take that patch to propagate to all the people using linux because they thought it was safer when in reality it wasnt?
people who use linux most likely understand the importance of updating
>>
>>57165557
What goddamn meme is this?
>>
It isnt a big issue because you cant just go
gobestbadderscript.dos [email protected] hackall

You already have to get past various layers of security to even be able to exploit this.

Server level, it was patched 0day, good sysadmin reads his security news.

User level, it is a security bump,it will be pushed as soon as the devs build it.

Embedded, not really an issue, they are already feature limited and locked down
>>
>>57165906
Didn't you hear? Lennart recently added a preventkernelhacksd.
>>
File: everything's fine cry.jpg (41KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
everything's fine cry.jpg
41KB, 601x508px
>>57165248
Linux is fucking garbage.

Even though i'm posting from Linux, it's fucking garbage.
>>
>>57166116
>Embedded, not really an issue, they are already feature limited and locked down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5PRvBpLuJs
>>
>local privilege escalation
>local
WOW, IT'S FUCKING NOTHING
>>
>>57165377
Bad shit happens on all OS's, Linux is just the one where, by nature, it's publicly known.
>>
File: rms.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Look people, take a look at high level exploits on Windows, then compare that to GNU/Linux. Windows never gets it's exploits reported because they fet fixed every patch tuesday. Example:
>ayy lmao dudes, we fixed this exploit in Microsoft Edge. Basically, if you viewed this special page, people could RAT you. We fixed it, no worries! ;)
>>
>>57165248
All the non-unix (Like windows only?) OS are getting raped every day and then this happens. Now everyone lose their minds. Fuck you and your gentoo shit. SELinux on RedHat FTW.

> inb4. Even a little knife can be a powerful weapon on hands of a skilled person. If you linux is being exploit, you're probably a noob to hits apt-get update and feels like a real sys admin.
> Go get a LTP-3 and come back here.
>>
>>57165248
You're an idiot.
>>
>>57165557
>>57165906
The one you can only understand write your own initrc script to translate.
>>
>>57165461

people not updating is a pebkac issue, people turn off updates on their windows machines too (which is why microsoft forced them on windows 10, and in response people made tools to prevent those forced updates and "tech journalist" websites put out guides circumventing forced updates)

any system admin or home gamer worth their salt will have updated already, and even if they don't attackers still need access to the box to exploit it

>>57165604

severe windows updates are too common to make the news, linux on the other hand...
>>
>>57165248
> It's more secure, they said.
Sorry, this doesn't mean Linux has been coded to be without any bugs or security relevant bugs, ever.

It is more secure because it's open to investigation by anyone (so not only the guys *buying* exploits from random discoveries "easily" know exploits), and fixes to discovered problems happen quickly.

Plus of course Linux security isn't fucked up in all corners by design.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.