[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /g/ whats your opinion on this book? are beginners book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: learningPython.jpg (37KB, 381x499px) Image search: [Google]
learningPython.jpg
37KB, 381x499px
hey /g/

whats your opinion on this book?

are beginners book with 1k+ pages good?
>>
File: Bucknall.jpg (20KB, 232x320px) Image search: [Google]
Bucknall.jpg
20KB, 232x320px
Learn a language you can do threads with, kid.
>>
>>57161687
b-but I have multiprocessing and I can use stackless python
>>
>>57161672
You can kill perl coders with it.
>>
>>57161672
The O'reilly books are shit at explaining things, especially to a beginner. They're in a limbo between reference books and tutorial books, doing neither well.

Get Think Python instead.
>>
>>57162149
Thanks senpai.
I am confused right now. I am reading table of contents of both books.

Learning python is 7.5x bigger (1500 pages) vs 200 pages.
>>
>>57162436
>Getting scared by page numbers
Not a good sign, anon
>>
>>57162455
I bet he fear BBC too.
>>
>>57162455
>Learning python
>book for beginners
>First 100pages = 2, 3line long scripts

Probably official python documentation is smaller
>>
File: 1467655190399.jpg (14KB, 358x358px) Image search: [Google]
1467655190399.jpg
14KB, 358x358px
>>57161672
Python is literally so simple you start a project and google shit on the fly.
>>
>>57163394
there is alot of trips and tricks when you are operating on very larger sets of text data that will make you work much more efficient.
>>
There's books out there with 200-300 pages you won't fully comprehend in years so pagecount is a pretty bad indicator of quality OP, especially when it comes to educational books
>>
>>57161687
So far OP made 1 thread and you didn't. Checkmate Delphiists.
>>
Literally just this
https://docs.python.org/2.7/tutorial/
>>
>>57161672
>are beginners book with 1k+ pages good?
>begginers
>1k+ pages

Something is wrong in there
>>
>>57164321
its more of a reference manual

its hard to build your own programs with oop after reading 2 pages long intro to classes form this link.

Why would I want to use oop instead of normal functional programming anywhere?
>>
>>57161672
Depends on what you want to use the book for, if you want to start writing code in python right away, it's strongly recommended you pick something else, because this book covers every aspect in depth sometimes dedicating whole chapters to the innerworkings of some very trivial operation. This book is good to be a complete reference, but it's not a cover to cover read, if you start using this book to learn the language from scratch, you'll give up after 20 pages in and probably even abandon the idea of writing code in this language ever.
>>
>>57162149
site is dope, thanks anon
>>
>>57165400
I created this thread after 100th page.
Yeah tis not this kind of book that you can read before sleep.
>>
>>57164321
>2.7
>>
>>57161672
Just read the fucking tutorial.
Then the api.
>>
>>57165963
it will not teach me how to program, only how to use syntax
>>
What books are must read?
Curently going through the well grounded rubyist and im thinking to move to rails. Any good books on rails around?
>>
>>57166221
Majority of books are shit when it comes to learning desu
>>
>>57161672

It's a great book. It's helping hold up the front right corner of my sofa and it's never failed once.
>>
>>57166194
yeah, but you don't eat a elephant in one bite, you eat it a bite at a time.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.