[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should i store my precious downloads if i want to preserve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: MSATA_SSD_vs._2.5'_SATA_drive.jpg (492KB, 1820x1744px) Image search: [Google]
MSATA_SSD_vs._2.5'_SATA_drive.jpg
492KB, 1820x1744px
Where should i store my precious downloads if i want to preserve them long term?
I'm considering a 2.5 or 3.5 external HDD that will be powered on/off very scarcely (once in 6 months for example)

Does it sound good? Is 2.5 or 3.5 preferable?
>>
>>57159444
Tapes, also
>Preserve downloads
Why? If you downloaded it once you could download it twice.
>>
>>57159444
If you want to store long term tape is the answer.
Hard drives specially unplugged ones degrade from time.
SSD's have the same problem the longer they are turned off the more probably it is that the drives get data corruption.

Tape doesn't share this problem to the same tier of its counterparts.
>>
File: index.png (5KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
5KB, 221x228px
>>57159444
>>57159471
>>57159556

M-Disc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
>>
>>57159610
SCRATCHES!
>>
>>57159651
Tape is a meme for home users.
>>
>>57159705
So long as you need to archive Large amounds of data (TB's at a time) (IE photography and videos) it's viable.

If you only want to store a few hundreds of GB and you keep accessing them you an keep it on a internal drive that gets checked regularly by the OS.
>>
>>57159471
>>57159556
>>57159732
Tapes are meme-tier. Look at Pixar or the IRS for proofs.
>>
>>57159732
Some interesting reading for you tape fags

http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/honors-grants-and-fellowships/1/
>>
>>57159444
>Where should i store my precious downloads if i want to preserve them long term?
Depends on how long you want to preserve, if you hammer them in stone, they will likely still be intact in 500 years
>>
>>57159444
That's what the Seagate Archive drives are rated for - that, and cold storage (always on, sometimes read, seldom written, and very rarely updated).

Avoid SSDs for this, as long-term retention of Flash is questionable. That's not what it's for.

Tape works, but ONLY IF you have climate-controlled storage. If not, no.

If you've got small, manageable amounts of data that you could burn to optical media, burning archival Blu-rays, DVDs or CDs might be another solution (I haven't used M-disc so can't comment if it really works as well as they say, but I do have some Taiyo-Yuden media which is still good if you can get it).

Always keep at least 2 backups of everything important in different places.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.