[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ use their home servers for? just picked up pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

File: s-l1600.jpg (126KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
126KB, 1000x1000px
What does /g/ use their home servers for?

just picked up pic related and looking for some ideas on what i can use it for
>>
>>57159004
bi weekly backups of my laptop and seeding torrents.
>>
>>57159004
hp dl 380 g6 2x5630L and 64gb memory
MSA60 DAS with 12x4gb wd reds here

File, media, game, torrenting, website, nameserver and all kinds of shit
>>
>>57159004
>he bought a server without having an use for it
Torrenting, usenet, media center, irc bouncer, freenet darknets, ipfs, virtualization, cracking tripcodes, game servers, automated backups, home automation, whatever the fuck have you.
>>
>>57159052
was originally after a NAS to just back up my files but picked this up for real cheap so just looking into what else i can do with this other than backups
>>
>>57159004
I have the g7.
Using it with xpenology (OS) and using at has a NAS/Plexbox/Web server.

It does it job.
>>
>>57159052
>cracking tripcodes
>with cpu
>>
>>57159004
Get some good wifi antennas and a decent NIC if it doesn't already have one, and use it as your internet-facing router.
>>
File: 1476131875405.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476131875405.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>57159004
>He fell for the home server meme
>>
>>57159004
>just picked up pic related and looking for some ideas on what i can use it for+ 0 post omitted.

Kill yourself please
>>
r710 as my esx host
>>
slapped OpenIndiana on it an make use of Zones and ZFS. One zone is a router/dns/dhcp/ddns, one is a nfs/samba server, one is ldap, one is an in-house git server, one is an iscsi target for a couple of "lab servers".
>>
it's not really a "server" but i have an ibm thinkcentre 8320 that runs 24/7 hosting some irc bots and as a torrentbox. cant complain for 20 quid.
>>
>>57159004
I just use my 20 TB one as a plex server, recently updated the RAID card to an Adaptec one.
>>
>>57159425
This.
>>
>>57159530
>>57159425
substring 4903000
Tripcode explorer on wine
stock 4790k
time: 4-5 hours

I've run both meriken's tripcode engine and MTY_CL on cpu and GPU (gtx 970) for days wihout any results. GPU trippers are a meme if anything ever was.
>>
>>57159671
>Running both CPU and GPU at the same time.
>Not installing OpenCL drives
>Not using OpenCL trip miners on linux.

Nigga u dumb.
>>
File: Untitled.png (38KB, 770x536px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38KB, 770x536px
I use this thing for a twitch stream bot for a game i play, twitch votes to spectate a player and can either make them stay or skip spectating. It peaked at 390 viewers last week
>>
File: 1475162269361.png (27KB, 590x464px) Image search: [Google]
1475162269361.png
27KB, 590x464px
>>57159004
Ayyyyyy

I have the same server. I posted about it not too long ago. Did you follow my advice?

I am hosting a webserver on it, git server, email server, minecraft server, SAMBA server/FTP server (both links to the same folder, and it's all working good.

Pretty amazed at what 2gb of ram can do honestly. If it wasn't for my Minecraft server, I'd have only 20% of ram being used.
>>
e6650
2gb ram
160gb hdd

web server, git, emby, samba
>>
Have a Fujitsu Siemens tx1230m1.
Mail server
Plex server
Owncloud
Transmission deamon
Minrcraft server (mcma, mv)
Smb
Calibre book server
Ubuntu 16.04 raid1
Sandboxes (kvm)
>>
>>57159450
>apple bar is visible at the top
>neither the projected image nor the canvas are perpendicular to the ground
>>
Just a NAS. Everything else I just stuff on my laptop.
>>
>>57159435
Got one. It's already got 2 Broadcom Gigabit NICs. They're fine. I'm actually doing that, as it has a low-profile PCIe slot.

OP: Fuck the CD bay, get a berg-floppy to SATA power adapter and stash an SSD up in the top instead (mounted with insulation tape because why not), change to AHCI mode (because fuck proprietary blob drivers), put /boot on a microSD card, use the SSD as /, and set up a ZFS or btrfs pool in the 4 drives.

Works very nicely. I use it as my router (including wifi with hostapd) and NAS (with samba) to our Windows desktops, and some other stuff I won't talk about here but let's just say I'm using the internal USB port with some custom hardware.

If it's convenient for you, you might consider picking up an unlock code for iLO Advanced - because the iLO only lets you console in during POST if you don't have one. Once you've activated it with the code, that's it for life. Or you could just attach VGA and a keyboard if you need to - either's good. But iLO Advanced also lets you mount an ISO over the network, which might be handy for install if you're not using a USB stick.

It's not so easy to pick up the correct Xeon models that go in it anymore because they're EOL. I managed to get one, but I think I might have one of the last! The Celeron wasn't crap, it just doesn't have AES-NI (in which case, use serpent-xts for disk encryption instead) and runs slightly warmer.

And yes, it really does take that long to POST. Don't worry, the fan slows right down once it boots the bootloader.
>>
steam streaming
flexget
transmission
plex
>>
Mostly functions as a media server, archiving everything I like to brace for the eventual death of freedom on the internet.
>>
>>57159004
Looking to get that one aswell. Question is how much do I have to upgrade so that it can run as a virtualization server for a couple of small centos vms, act as a backup server and maybe mediastreaming?

The CPU upgrades look really expensive and ecc ram isn't cheap either.
>>
File: wew.png (66KB, 908x377px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
66KB, 908x377px
>>57163365
>>
>>57163395
>Windows 10
>>
>>57159004

Home Server(s) best use is for Data Storage.Many of the Servers you can find on Ebay for about £100 can hold up to 8 or 10 Hard Drives.

Home Servers are also good for running multiple Operating Systems.

They can also be used as a Workstation/Desktop as well.
>>
FFXI game server. Minecraft server. NAS and seedbox. Recently came upon a case with space for many drives but not enough money for mass hdd upgrade. The 6 tb I got are almost full.
>>
>>57163395
the thing is, the formfactor of the g8 is exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>57163600
That's cool, pay 100 more for an i3 or a celeron if you like the HP box that much.

To each his own, I got an i7-6700 m900 for under $500.
>>
>transmission-daemon
>mpd+icecast
>emitcloud
>lighttpd+sqlite3+php
>kodi

I bought a cheap nvidia card with HDMI out and tossed it in my server, plugged it into my tv, bought a domain and set up port forwarding, now when I am at work and want to watch a movie when I get home I open tornado and add the torrent to my server. While I'm driving to/from and while I'm at work, I can listen to all of my music via mpdroid, I get home, turn on my tv, and kodi is on screen waiting for me and I watch the movie I previously downloaded.

I've got emitcloud for all of the data I need to toss on my server throughout the day, and my own pomf clone and pastebin. My email is handled by zohomail though, because it's too much effort to contact every email provider to have my domain whitelisted when the emails come from my home IP, and zohomail does 25 addresses for free. All you need to do is add one CNAME record and 3 MX records and you've got email at your own TLD.
>>
>>57163713
Don't be so mean to me. I don't have enough space for another tower. I want to put it into pic related, that's where my router is already chilling.
>>
File: snapshot 1054.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot 1054.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>57159004
Rendering, HTPC, VM Server, File Storage.
>>
>>57163763
what a waste of space. what is the point of the space inside?! it's better if you just throw that piece of shit into a fire
>>
>>57159004
>What does /g/ use their home servers for?
Nothing anymore. It got too expensive having a power hungry server serving files and be a git repository. I moved git to the cloud like everyone else and I don't really have a need to serve files anymore that can't be solved with onedrive or google drive.

I'm considering building my own router with firewall, VLAN, ad killing, vpn etc out of a fanless computer (fit-MultiLAN Pro Linux or similar) and add a Ubiquiti Unifi for wireless AP. Not much else I can think of doing.
>>
>>57159004
media server
>>
>>57163274
Why put boot on a microSD card? You encrypted everything and bring /boot with you to remove attack vectors? Otherwise why not put / on it too?
>>
>>57159004
Currently putting together a NAS/FTP. My router is a box running pfSense.
>>
I picked up a Dell Poweredge T20 Xeon for cheap, threw some extra RAM and a HBA in it and it's now my all in one.
Running Proxmox and the usual suspects: NZBGet, Sonarr, Plex, Freenas, Minecraft & other game servers, DNS (dnsmasq because I ain't got time for bind), pihole, home automation, reverse proxy, VPN

>>57160024
>2016
>using FTP
Please tell me this is bait
>>
File: 46464664.jpg (26KB, 370x229px) Image search: [Google]
46464664.jpg
26KB, 370x229px
>>57159004
Still waiting for the next gen microserver.
>>
File: 2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Pic related is mine

Managed to find a Xeon e3 1240v2 for it and is a nice bump from the g1610t. Added 16gb ram, an LSI SAS controller, 4x4tb western digital reds which I sort of regret,. Sandisk SSD for OS, a Silverstone 4x SAS enclosure and 4x3tb Toshibas and a 3tb toshiba USB3 drive.

I use it for all my centralised storage needs. A large media library, backup for our photography, plex, backups for my desktop and phones, a couple of VMs.

I keep trying to stop myself from getting a fucking 12x3.5" jbod enclosure because it's just downhill from there. It's definitely one of the best purchases I've made even though it sort of starting my datahoarding. I miss the days when all od my shit was on a couple of CDs.
>>
>>57164793
Fuck HP. Get yourself a node 804 case, a supermicro board, a Xeon and just fucking fill that case with hard drives.
>>
>>57159435
Don't listen to this guy, he's retarded.
>>
>>57159004
Counter Strike (1.6) server for friends
>>
>>57159004
I have an extra 3570k laying around with 16GB of RAM and ATX motherboard. Best way to turn it into a local server I can use to store files and stream videos?
>>
>>57165291
>assemble
>install borderline any fucking OS you want
>create smb/ftp/iscsi or whatever the fuck kind of access you want
>??????
>prophet
>>
>>57165291
>store files and stream videos
Wew, such a complicated task no one has ever accomplished before. Why don't you try google?
>>
>>57165186
I like the easily accessible drive bays though, it's just not the same with the 804.
>>
>>57162207
It's still a correct answer, dude. Spread the love.
>>
>>57159004
>buying shit you don't need and have no use for and then trying to figure out what to do with it
>>
>>57164756
Whats wrong with it? At least its much more secure than samba
>>
I have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 coming my way, so i'm thinking about setting up a homeserver to host a BES Express instance.
>>
>>57166806
see
>>57159091
>>
>>57159004
if you bought something before having an idea of what you want to use it for, you need to kindly fuck off
>>
>>57163930
jesus you fgt i kek'd hard and i agree!
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.