[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What college majors in technology should I go for and which ones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 1438670406202s.jpg (7KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1438670406202s.jpg
7KB, 250x189px
What college majors in technology should I go for and which ones should I avoid? Is computer science really a meme?
>>
>>57157607
depends what you want to do with your life.
>>
>choosing a major based on $
Enjoy dropping out in 2 years and working at mickydees
>>
>>57157607
Computer Science is for idiots who dont know what they are getting into.

Electronic Engineering/ Electronic Computer Engineering is good if you actually like to stare at circuits prints and figuring out how shit works (you also have more math in this course over all others, and Fisics shit) and is one of the highest paying courses of them all if you actually love it.

And then there's the "I don't want to go to college meme because its useless shit" and then you can just simply get Cisco courses for internet shit that always brings in dosh if you're good at what your doing.
>>
>>57157607
Depends on whether you actually want to learn something.
People on here say CS is a meme because either they themselves went the easy way(only do the easiest courses like web dev shit, no math, no theory and so on and only do the minimum required training) or believe the memes on the internet.
Meanwhile if you rate any degree by the bottom of the barrel that managed to pass just by luck there would only be meme degrees.
>>
>>57157607
avoid
>CS
>Bioinformatics
>>
>>57159779
Why should computer science be avoided? Is it difficult getting a job with a cs degree?
>>
Pick an engineering major. Electrical if you're really looking for a challenge and want to make those dolla$$$.

Comp Sci is full of /v/tards who really don't know what they are getting into. Unless you have some set idea of what you want to do with Comp Sci, pick something else.
>>
>>57157676
>you also have more math in this course
My CompSci degree had exactly the same mathematics program as all other engineers, including EE and ME.
>>
>>57159881
vydia programmer?
>>
>>57159868
because it's oversaturated. Most of SEM is like this too, technician fields are the only ones worth going into at this point
>>
>>57159912
If you're passionate enough. I started off college wanting to do CS and get into Cyber Security (doing Vidya on the side), but changed my mind during my orientation when I saw who my peers would be. I ended up deciding on Mechanical Engineer (was between Eleextrical, Computer, and Mechanical) and couldn't be happier.

At the end of the day though, if you have the passion and drive you can make it happen. I love video games (actually.. used to. video games nowadays aren't what I grew up loving) and have an immense amount of ideas for games and game mechanics. I just talked to enough people and watched enough documentaries/movies to realize that the gaming industry is a shit occupation. Long hours and you're treated horribly. But if you're motivated enough you can make a happy career of it.
>>
>>57159892
What shit university are you going to?
>>
>>57157607
Honestly, don't go to college. Go to a tech school ro whatever and pick up a trade. Become a plumber or something.

Trust me, you'll be happier, make more money, have better employment, and far less debt.

College is a fucking scam.

t. Retard with an M.Sci, no jerbs, and tons of debt.

P.S. if you're a moderately attractive or better girl disregard above advice, you'll have money and jobs literally thrown at you.
>>
>>57160108
>it's bad to learn partial differential equations and abstract algebra like every proper engineer
>>
File: 28652o5673hf.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
28652o5673hf.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
>>57160152
>college is not meant for retards
i wish this were true
>>
>>57160152
>debt from college
t. American
>>
File: 1473010887614.png (59KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1473010887614.png
59KB, 184x184px
>>57160152
I'm black and a female, how much "diversity quota" points does this grant me in the tech world?

I plan on becoming a sysadmin btw
>>
>>57157626
Can you do math and logic? STEM.
Can you do math but not logic? Business.
Can you do logic but not math? Law.
Can you manipulate people? Managment.
Can you steal money from your parents for the next 30 years? Art.
>>
>>57164097
Can you be lesbian too? Then you can write your own ticket.
>>
What career should I pursue in the USAF that's /g/ related?
>>
>>57157607
Cybersecurity is a good choice. Practically no unemployment and six figure salaries are average. Jobs are available worldwide.
>>
>>57157607
The people that think CS is a meme are similarly just as retarded as the people they bitch about.
>>
>>57157607
combat engineer
>>
>>57164298
Can you do absolutely nothing? Physical Education.
>>
>>57165362
What do you think about this? http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/computer-science-and-information-security-bs
>>
>>57157607

>Dog grooming
>Basket weaving
>Freelance obstetrician

Be a hero, anon
>>
I am thinking about going for computer hardware engineering but i want to make more than 100k a year, which is there average. What are some computer jobs that offer 100k+ a year
>>
>>57166954
pls someone answer I don't want to get a degree only to realize it's a meme
>>
>recording/audio engineer
>photographic arts
>communication & broadcasting
>graphic design
all guaranteed six figure salaries
>>
>>57164097
Story of my life sister. Well, I only got into tech like 8 months ago.
>>
>kids thinking they will ever make six figures

I mean, unless you're okay with moving to a big tech city where you'll still be below average, relatively speaking
>>
>>57164298
you dont need to know anything to do business or management.
>>
Was considering doubling up on my chem. eng. course and adding comp. sci. Hadn't realised it was a meme degree. Is it ok to do if it's a double degree with an engineering field?
>>
>>57157676
>>57159868
>>57160093
>>57160152

CS majors are basically brain-dead idiots. Unless you're entrepreneurial and not autistic (hint you're not you're on 4chan) congrats on making slightly above median income after failing to get in at one of the top ten companies.

Source: have a BA, graduated '14 and making 6fig after 18 months. Work from home 60% of the time as a systems engineer. I meet with sysadmins who are stressed to fuck on the daily (hint you'll never have the budget time talent or managerial sway to do what you want at a company that can pay you your worth as an admin)
>>
>>57167198
Yeah people don't realise that 6 figures in most cities isn't that much at all, but that's where the jobs are at.
>>
>>57166954
Just do some internet research into the cybersecurity field and check it out for yourself. It's not a meme. It's an exploding field and its just going to keep growing. Look up cybersecurity jobs on like dice or indeed, alot are paying up to $160k with just a year or two of experience. Companies are desperate.
>>
File: 1470673121891.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1470673121891.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>57167227
>yfw every "brain dead idiot" interviewed you when you applied to any of the top 50

Stop being salty. Yes it's heavily saturated but if you're not that into hardware and have idea of what you want to do (eg: embedded system) CS will get you into just about any company a CE or SE would
>>
>>57164298
Graphic Design is a legit field now anon. Get with the times.
>>
>>57157607
Well I wanted to give you an advice, but this generation is fucked. Go kill yourself, because USoA education system is fucked up.
>>
>>57159892
You're in the minority, and should transfer to engineering, as no one will give you the credit you'd deserve when they see the CS degree.
>>
>>57167592
What about CS majors objectively good at programming and sucking at math?
>>
>>57164097
>I'm black and a female
You'll have money and jerbs thrown at you if you're the least bit intelligent.
>>
>>57159881
Developing networked programs related to security and networking?

I'm wondering if I should major in CS and minor in IT because then I would have the option of either being around a develop workplace or networking and administration.

The alternative would be to just do CS and get cisco certs but I don't know how well they're respected in Australia
>>
>>57167592
>the credit you'd deserve when they see the CS degree.
What credit? CS degrees have been watered down into nothing

>>57167653
If you can't do math you can't be good at programming, they require exactly the same mental skillsets
>>
>>57167673
Wrong.
>>
Gotta laugh at the fact that engineering students have always been the biggest assholes and the most obnoxious dickheads on any campus, and they're still proving it true right here in this thread. It's got to be some kind of brain defect, and yes, I'm serious. You don't see this a lot in actual scientists. Just engineers.
>>
>>57167766
>engineers
>biggest assholes and the most obnoxious dickheads on any campus
you clearly have never been to uni.
>>
>>57157607
if youre going to a good school, with a reputable CS program, then CS is fine.
otherwise youre probably better with some kind of engineering.
>>
>>57167848
>triggered
>>
architecture visualization people make a retarded amount of money
>>
>>57167577
programming, development, and system administration is all commoditized now. /G/ sets it's standards too low and as a result will be shocked when it gets that coveted CS job and realizes that the company is too big to ever ask you to do anything more than write glue code or too small for any project to ever matter.

Also my interviewers were not CS majors, one had a degree in philosophy and a masters in theology
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.