[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google: >simplified desktop platform >highly modular mobile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: GAM.jpg (7KB, 259x195px)
GAM.jpg
7KB, 259x195px
Google:
>simplified desktop platform
>highly modular mobile platform

Apple:
>distinct but highly compatible mobile and desktop platforms

Microsoft:
>universal computing platform

Which do you think is the best approach to operating systems, /g/? Microsoft's approach is obviously the most ambitious and (in my opinion) the way of the future as mobile computing becomes more powerful, even though it isn't all there yet.
>>
I'd call Microsoft's approach "adaptable" rather than universal. The idea behind UWP is that you have an application that can take on additional functionality depending on the capabilities of the platform it's currently running on. The problem with UWP is that a lot of developers will just shit out an application that runs the same everywhere because it's easy. This leads to the impression that UWP is a platform for "mobile" applications and useless for anything else.
>>
>>57155253
>highly modular mobile platform
>universal computing platform
Google's mobile platform is not that much different from Microsoft's universal computing platform except for the fact that vendors of former sometimes lock their bootloaders.
>>
>>57155318
Good comment, thanks for the clarification. I think it's a shame that folks aren't being more forward looking with something like UWP, but I imagine that in five years or so UWP or a similar product will be what's seen as the new norm going forward. It just makes too much sense to not happen eventually I feel.
>>
>>57155335
I could see a future in which Android ends up evolving into a more full fledged platform in its own right. ChromeOS definitely feels more like a stopgap than anything and it's pretty obvious that they want to move in that direction with opening the Google Play Store for ChromeOS. I guess my question would be if it makes more sense to upscale a mobile-first platform or downscale a more powerful platform, if that makes sense.
>>
>>57155349
Why would you ever downscale a more powerful platform?
>>
>>57155361
Maybe I phrased that poorly. I'm talking like, you know, getting Win10 running on a handheld. In the current day there are obviously going to have to be some compromises made to get it to run well, but by adapting backwards so to speak it'll be easier to work back to the full fledged experience than building forward off of a simpler platform.
>>
Bump for input
>>
I sort of like Google
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.