[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello. Im some random drawfag but I want to create a game. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1474282225225.jpg (24KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1474282225225.jpg
24KB, 320x320px
hello.

Im some random drawfag but I want to create a game. I have pretty complex ideas for it. I was thinking to learn some coding. I could commission more advanced stuff to other people.

I was thinking of learning C#. How do I approach this, what kind of "coding software" to use ? Microsoft visual studio ? I know literary 0 about coding. I'm also 0 at math but i heard you don't need to know math to learn some coding.

I would like to create an old fallout art style game. The combat would be very similar and that's what I would want to aim for frist. Player and npc having tours, move on hexagon board, have some AI to fight player.

need some advice.
>>
File: 1463282343195.gif (2MB, 370x319px) Image search: [Google]
1463282343195.gif
2MB, 370x319px
help
>>
You should probably use an existing game engine like Unity. Good news, you can use C# with it.
>>
>>57147986
If you're on windows, you pretty much need to use visual studio.
As for learning it, just pick any book.
Make sure you do the exercises though. You'll skip some thinking it's all easy, then a little later you'll find yourself lost.
Sure, some of it is conceptual, but a big chunk of it is just doing practical stuff, learning how to think about problems in terms of programming.
I often hear people say, 'oh I know this shit, but as soon as im not being guided, I've no idea where to start!'. Not much you can do about it, but keep at it, the more practical stuff you do, the easier it gets.
>>
>>57147986
use Unity or GameMaker
>>
Use Gamemaker first. It's so easy I was using it in 3rd grade. Don't expect much though, maybe just flesh out a prototype

After that move on to Unity probably, there are some good tutorials out there.

You can probably just use Unity for what you want, but it's up to you if you want to move on to Unreal or something else. Unreal is actually stupid simple if you only use blueprints, but that's very limited.
>>
Look at /g/ being friendly. Good on you guys.
>>
>>57147986

Another bit of advice OP, don't go wild with superficial details until you have the base game fleshed out. Get the actual gameplay done first before you add complex sprites and stuff.

I have an idiot friend who wanted to make a 3D Open World Pokemon MMO, he started by importing models into Unreal engine, got about 30 Pokemon done before he realised he didn't know any actual coding and it was too hard for him to learn, so he scrapped about 5 weeks of work simple because he was too stupid to figure out his priorities.
>>
>>57149439
yeah definitely i wont be doing as your friend did. I would get the code part first then visuals.

>>57148878
could i get some book title that you think is good ? (on c#)

>>57149134
so learn c# in gamemaker first ? i think GM cant use c# so i couldnt apply anything i learn on that language. This guy >>57148878
says i need to use visual studio ( I dont know if its even possible to code something gamelike in VS its more for apps or something ?)
>>
You have 0 chance of doing this - i can tell from the way you write

You are a fucking moron and probably under 18.

Please leave.

You will never ever write games because you have no idea how much effort it takes.
By age 16 you should know A LOT of coding.

This is fact.
Come back in 10 years and I'll be 100% right - i always am on this.
>>
>>57150042
im 25
>>
>>57150081
just get a real job and stop day dreaming
>>
>>57150081
If you are 25 really and still think like this... that's very worrying. You should be capable of realizing you need to spend years leaning to code first.
>>
>>57150094
they said the same about me drawing. now i make cash from it.
>>
>>57149997
You don't learn C# in Gamemaker, but it's a good stepping stool to game creation.

As for the whole Visual Studio thing, it's an IDE. You aren't making the game in it per se, but you are doing the coding with it. It's hard to explain but once you start it'll make more sense.

Try this, it's not the greatest but it works
https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/
Look for coupons, you can usually get it for about $10, otherwise there's a torrent of an old version floating around somewhere.
>>
>>57150273
So i should learn game maker stuff first before trying to learn C# in unity ?

Thanks, i got cgpeers acc so i should get it there for free or something similar to it.
>>
>>57150430
Yeah try to learn a bit in game maker first, it's arguably the easiest and it'll give you a good idea of what you're getting into
>>
>>57150505
thanks, you have been helpful.
>>
>>57147986
If you really want to challenge yourself, use C++ and OpenGL's fixed pipeline functions.

For your first game you should probably use GameMaker.
>>
File: 24806-the-battle-for-.jpg (526KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
24806-the-battle-for-.jpg
526KB, 1024x768px
>>57147986
1 advice for you:
Stick to what you like to do and have skills for. So drawing.
If you want to make games, you should have no problems getting job in some game company (which btw needs like 20 drawfags to 1 real programator) to make decent game full of content.

Anyway here you have similar game open source:
>https://www.wesnoth.org/
Just download whole code, read about how it compiles to "exe", try to compile it yourself on your PC and hopefully week later you understand it is no joke and move on.

If not, happy coding and good luck.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.