[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is Windows good for beyond gaming? It seems if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: Windows-8.1.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-8.1.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
What exactly is Windows good for beyond gaming?

It seems if you want to actually use your PC to do anything productive (i.e. not games) you're objectively better off using OS X or Linux.
>>
File: 1476897306007.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1476897306007.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>>57147951
>OS X
>>
>>57147951
Literally every business these days uses Windows because it just works and there's a ton of industry support for it. Sure Linux is better for certain specialized tasks but for the general public Windows gets most things done.

If I want to make a Presentation for a business meeting, you bet your ass I'm going to use Microsoft Office. No ones going to fiddle around looking for "GNU/Linux alternatives that respect my software freedoms and ideals" or a distro that works out of the box with a interface and broad range of applications ready to go.
>>
>>57147982
>If I want to make a Presentation for a business meeting, you bet your ass I'm going to use Microsoft Office.
WSJ reported earlier this year that most fortune 500 companies were using Google Docs. Licensing on MS Office is down almost 70% from its peak.

Not saying Windows is going away tomorrow, but muh office isn't retaining anyone. It's more a function of professional support, existing contracts, familiarity, and platform lock-in.
>>
>>57147951
>seems if you want to actually use your PC to do anything productive (i.e. not games) you're objectively better off using OS X or Linux

>anything productive

When did Linux get Office?
When did Linux gain backwards compatibility going back 20 years?
When did Linux gain management tools like Group Policy?
>>
>>57148072
When did linux need Group Policy?
>>
>>57148065

http://www.cio.com/article/2992546/office-software/why-companies-are-switching-from-google-apps-to-office-365.html

Google Ap- sorry I mean GSuite, is popular with cash strapped SMBs and Education, its fucking garbage for Enterprise.
>>
>>57147951
What productivity means for me, a student
>Be able to quickly open MS office since all alternatives are trash + incompatible with what everybody else uses and what my school mostly demands
Windows is objectively best for this and can handle stuff like power management well.
>>
File: 098678456.png (110KB, 282x282px) Image search: [Google]
098678456.png
110KB, 282x282px
>>57148098
>>
>>57148089

What? You think shell scripts scale to hundreds if not thousands of workstations?

That you need a separate (proprietary in many cases) product to push settings across an entire domain of workstations on Linux highlights how important something like Group Policy is.
>>
>>57147951
>if you want to actually use your PC to do anything productive (i.e. not games) you're objectively better off using OS X or Linux.

Yeah, no. If you don't work in IT, Windows is the only way you can get anything done. I don't have time to be running my company's specialized audit software in WINE, nor do I have time to fret about the formatting of client documents after they come out of my Free as in Freedum office suite.

Don't get me wrong, when you're just shitposting or watching Chinese Cartoons, Linux is great. When you need to code, Linux is great. Anything else, get the fucking Windows license ready.
>>
>>57148065
This. Outside of work, I have zero use for Windows beyond hobbyist crap like malware/pentesting labs. It just isn't worth the hassle. Mac OS has enough in common with Linux that I'll use my wifes machine before firing up the Microsoft Botnet, these days.
>>
File: rajesh.jpg (3MB, 2592x3888px) Image search: [Google]
rajesh.jpg
3MB, 2592x3888px
>>57148147
>If you don't work in IT, Windows is the only way you can get anything done.
>>
>>57148182
Someone's never heard of macOS
>>
>>57148205
He was sarcasming, son.
>>
While Epic and Cerner both offer GNU/Linux client support, my organization is heavily vested in Meditech (which doesn't offer a *nix client and we cannot afford to run it in WINE from a stability standpoint), to the point where it would take tens of millions of dollars to convert over to either of the aforementioned.

That's why I use Windows.
>>
>>57147951
Linux is only good for browsing the web and running servers. It's god awful for anything else meaningful. Ever try to do 3D rendering or modeling on Linux? Bad GPU driver support, software support for the render program is extremely limited for anything that's not Windows, and you waste more time trying to get the damn thing to work than actually doing the work you need. Linux is great for bare minimum things but sucks for anything complex.
>>
>Tfw Ubuntu doesn't have Photoshop

Fuck is this.

Windows 10 has botnet so there's only one thing to do folks. Stick with Windows 8 or 7.
>>
>>57148341
Nah, Linux is amazing, you just need to immerse yourself in it totally to keep up with it. Our community suffers a lot from stubborn old neckbeards screaming over everyone and trying to hold back change. Then there's the wanna-bes who parrot everything these guys say. Lots of great stuff get's obscured in the barrage of bitching and clinging to the past. I don't work with 3D rendering, but I've seen tons of testemonies from highly regarded people in the industry who praise Linux on this subject.
>>
>>57148182
Why did you post a photo of a typical compsci grad?
>>
>>57148404
Serious question. What the hell do you guys do that demands Photoshop? I've been using computers since the early nineties and have never once used it. What am I missing here?
>>
>>57148341

Pixar and dreamworks are using Linux for 3D rendering
>>
>When did Linux get Office?
As i care.
>>57148072
>When did Linux gain backwards compatibility going back 20 years?
implying w10 is 100% compatible even with xp applications not to say fucking dos.
>When did Linux gain management tools like Group Policy?
We use vmware for this, so it's exist.
>>
>>57148575
CIRCLES!
>>
In my (6 person) small business I mostly use Google Drive because it makes collaboration with each other easy.

So it doesnt matter which OS someone uses. I switched to Ubuntu for maximum cheapness, no update harassment and easy reinstalling.

Using W10 makes me feel uncomfortable.
>>
>>57149092
Why don't you use the older versions of Windows?
>>
>>57149108
Why would I?
>>
>>57149135
For the same reasons you tried to use Windows 10? *shrug*
>>
>>57149092
This. Ubuntu is a no-brainer for small business. I can pay for premium support if I need it and go on freeballing if I don't. The tools I need are all there free of charge and the majority are platform neutral so I don't worry about platform lock-in if things change in the future.

Windows is a relic of a time when MS was the dominant platform with no peers. Now it's just a lock-in system with the weight of a dying breed of boomer IT workers trying to prop it up.

I interact with other small business and startup owners all the time, virtually none of them would even consider Windows a viable alternative.
>>
>>57148557
freetards on /g/ like to pretend that linux and free software isn't teeming with poo in loos

meanwhile the poo in loo government literally uses ubuntu
>>
>>57149180
I have the same experience. We use Ubuntu and have about 40 employees. Windows would see our overhead quadruple, easily, and we that doesn't include other expensive software packages, price increases, etc.

I don't know how Microsoft can remain competitive in this market for the long run. They do not have anything worthy of consideration for the enormous price they are asking.
>>
Microsoft tries to become like Google. But they cant be Google, so they sacrifice their desktop market to Apple for no reason. Especially in Europe people are paranoid about privacy so Apple jumps in saying they encrypt everything. The monopoly of Microsoft is crumbling out of privacy concerns. We're now at a turning point from which there might be no way back for Microsoft.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html
>>
>>57149181
I don't pretend anything of the sort.

If they write English code/comments (note, it's not my first language either), I actually don't mind anyone in Asia being part of team open sauce at all.
>>
baka
>>
>>57149181
Nobody cares about indians in their own country contributing to open source. What we hate is Microshit bringing them in by their millions to take jobs in the US to shore up their failing company.
>>
Theres about five threads right now with the same shut
>muh linux
>muh freeware
>muh superior os
Its almost like you guys really want windows and mommy won't buy it for you.
>>
>>57150508
They're mostly doing it in India.
> Located in Hyderabad, the Microsoft India Development Center (MSIDC) is Microsoft’s largest software development center outside of their headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

Besides, "taking jobs" is idiotic, it's not like these are hitting the limit. You're just too bad at what you supposedly do if you require the job market to be completely starved to get employed. Right now, companies still need software for just about everything.
>>
>>57147951
Nothing I guess, If I didn't play games I would use Linux or BSD exclusively.
>>
Programs I need for work and class that don't exist outside of windows:

Altium Designer
CREO Parametric
Vivado Design Suite
TrueSTUDIO

Maybe when you grow up and get a real job you'll realize that "do anything productive" isn't the same as "shitpost on a Lebanese banana peeling forum"
>>
>>57148133
> incompatible
Convert.to.pdf
>>
Someone please post that KVM guide for install windows (preferably 8/10) in linux.
>>
>>57147951
Yah currently fixing a computer that can't connect to the internet. Guess what's in Control Panel. Adwares.
>>
Not having to spend 30 minutes to figure out what libraries I'm missing for some open source developers program they haven't bothered to properly document so i can just compile the extracted fucking tarball
>>
>>57150597
It's fine in India. Jobs there aren't a net loss. What's a net loss is the government taking US tax dollars and subsidizing visa immigration to the US to fulfill local jobs because they want indentured servants.
>>
>>57151757
>Convert.to.pdf
And be unable to edit it because there's no serious PDF editor for Linux.
>>
Microsoft Office. Undoubtedly the best productivity suite out there.
>>
>>57150597
>Be an average programmer, nothing spectacular, but part of the statistically factual mean of reality
>LMAO UR NOT GOOD ENOUGH WE SENT ALL THOSE JOBS OVERSEAS
>MAYBE YOU SHOULDVE JUST BEEN BETTER LOL
It's infinitely cheaper to outsource building a program to india and then tell your existing dev team "maintain that" than it is hiring somebody new and dedicated to build and maintain it.
>>
>>57153564
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
>>
>>57147982
It's very convenient that you chose to target Linux and completely ignored OS X
>>
>>57148072
>>57148133
>>57154087
You retards should know that Microsoft Office is available on OS X
>>
If you want anything to do in the 3D business, game developer or VFX artist, everything but windows is out of the question because you need so much software and the chances that just one of them doesn't have a not-Windows version is astoundingly small.
>>
>>57155478
blender, gimp, openGL
>>
>>57155486
Not gonna get shit done with Gimp and OpenGL if you're interested in actually getting hired just about anywhere.
>>
>>57154566
Yeah but the OS X version of Office some how manages to be even shittier than the Windows version.
>>
Playing videos. Its faster in windows. Linux lags.
>>
>>57149092
What do you mean what good is it? What isn't good about it? What am I missing out on not using Linux?
>>
>>57147951
It really depends. At my job, there's lot of in house software that would have to be ported, and you underestimate the task of training all your workforce to a new OS. As someone who's often training employees to new softwares, trust me, they hate change with a passion.

As for me, I only use my windows partition for gayming, Debian testing or Ubuntu fill my needs for everything else.
>>
>>57154553
OSX is nice but requires specific, more expensive hardware. Hackintoshing isn't for the general public.
>>
>>57148575
nothing, if you make a living working with photoshop chances are you also use a mac.

Besides that, everyone that says "muh photoshop" as an excuse to do not use linux is either a teenager or manchildren that uses a pirated copy to make memes.
>>
>>57156129
Or doing 3D in small startups, they absolutely refuse to use anything but photoshop.

Photoshop is only half my excuse for not being on Linux at home, the other half is that I have an Nvidia card so that's out of the question.
>>
>>57147982
/thread
>>
File: 17935station.jpg (74KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
17935station.jpg
74KB, 420x315px
>>57147951
>Implying you can't be productive on Windows

sounds like a personal problem
>>
>>57147982
>Literally every business these days uses Windows
You do know that merely one counter-examples suffices to disprove your universal claim, right?
>>
I literally only have a windows partition so I can play Vidya and use Photoshop.
That being said, part of what makes an OS "good" is the industry support. In most fields, windows is that os. There are pretty much no compatibility issues with it, and that is why it's still relevant.
>>
>>57147951
Visual Studio is all that you need to start making money
>>
>>57147982
>corrected: it just works because there's a ton of industry support for it.
>>
ITT: Armchair CIOs
>>
This board is so fucking autistic
>>
File: Tequila_Shots.jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tequila_Shots.jpg
64KB, 600x450px
>>57147951
Oh look, it's this thread ... again.
>>
>>57147982
Not every business. Wouldnt be caught dead using it at any valid audio studio, video production house, pixar, rendering houses, animation. Windows is really bad with ram and ntfs cant transfer more than 4gb. Any program built on open gl will be used on a mac or linux. Only 3ds max is windows. Direct x wasnt even around when the first adobe was around. Not to mention windows struggled until xp to multi task programs sub par. Auto cad or any other demanding application as well. Office is subscription based any way. It will die with win10. Osx is also still unix . Windows also never just works
>>
>go to college for engineering
>always use Windows
>get an engineering job
>always use Windows
I literally haven't touched an Apple system in a decade, where are all these businesses using MacOS, because I haven't seen them. I was actually surprised when I first visited /g/ and everyone shills MacOS, I thought Apple was completely irrelevant outside the consumer market and content creation.
>>
>>57147951
why is it even used for games
does it run the game?

no

windows has no purpose at all - there are far better options, far more modern operating systems
>>
>>57148527
from the very start, 3D rendering was achieved with openGL. The earliest, best rendering (terminator II, for example), achieved with openGL; an academic standard
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.