[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's a good linux DE for 2-in-1 machines? something that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: thinkpad-x1-carbon-yoga.jpg (362KB, 2210x1473px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad-x1-carbon-yoga.jpg
362KB, 2210x1473px
what's a good linux DE for 2-in-1 machines? something that's modern, simple, easy to use in "laptop" mode as well as "tablet touch screen" mode??
>>
GNOME 3

Unity 8
>>
>>57142621
I've been trying to get one to work properly for weeks now and am on the verge of going back to windows 10. The closest I have managed to get to matching microsofts functionality has involved scripting to rotate the screen AND screen input and having a shortcut to the on screen keyboard on screen too.

I haven't tried unity though. Maybe I should.
>>
I've heard good things about enlightenment being touch screen friendly, haven't used it myself though.
>>
>>57142721
enlightenment is still around? i would have thought that project looked more like a graveyard by now
>>
>>57142688
i would think that orientation detection and auto-rotation is a must for 2-in-1 friendly DE. is Xorg the problem here?

i'd hate to stay on windows 10. the development tools are a huge pain to setup and use smoothly.
>>
>>57142737
Still is, and from what I've heard quite fast and functional. Though, any widgets or stuff like that you have to code yourself in lua, so that's archaic at best.
>>
>>57142757

There are workarounds and depending on your screen you may have things work perfectly with iio-sensor-proxy for example. Honestly the thing that irritates me the most is the on screen keyboard only coming up in certain text fields and the seemingly unpredictable multi touch.

I don't mind tapping a shortcut on the desktop to rotate the display as it locks it in place too.

I am actually going to try Solus, I've just downloaded it now. So I'll load that up and see what their solutions are. After that I'll try unity and if that doesn't suit me I'll just keep a windows partition for when I'm doing more touch orientated things.
>>
>>57142838
You might also try the papyros DE. Dunno if it'll work on whatever you're using, but it's worth a shot.
>>
>>57142621
E17
>>
>>57142621
Cinnamon
/thread
>>
>>57143252
op here, that's actually what i'm using now. fedora 24 cinnamon spin. some of the widgets aren't really big enough for fingers, and i have smallish hands. and it doesn't auto rotate. thats probably not a cinnamon issue though.
>>
Plasma apparently have some kind of mobile ready version of their DE, might be worth to check that out
>>
>>57143002
Hadn't heard about that. Thanks anon!

>>57143380
As far as I know with plasma you choose either the desktop or tablet DE. Desktop plasma is severely lacking in tablet orientated features and vice versa.
>>
>>57142621
Hawaii maybe?
>>
>>57143417
Yerp. If it wasn't in alpha, I'd be using that install myself. Mmmm material design.
>>
>>57143417
>with plasma you choose either the desktop or tablet DE

you can't dynamically switch between them? wow, they don't think that people switch modes throughout the day?

what would be ideal is no "switching" but same environment that works across different modes, keyboard/mouse and touch.
>>
>>57143597
Your ideal scenario is right. You could even make it better than win10 by automatically scaling some ui features in tablet mode, adding quick access to touch centric or tablet friendly apps (like readers for example) and other such small things.

I would love someone to fork an existing DE and do it but I don't think the community is there.
>>
i'd give Remix OS a try but i'm not sure you can run "real" linux applications on that without much hassle.
>>
>>57143252
im using ubuntu with cinnamon and
gnome 2 DEs
>>
>>57142621
Windows 10 is the only OS I've used that can actually "painlessly" (i.e., without several days worth of configuration and general suffering) swap between a desktop usage mode and tablet usage mode. Sorry dude. There's no "it just works!" situation on *nix for this yet.
>>
Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>57142621
>Using a thinkpad past Tx20
What are you, a faggot? That keyboard is atrocious.
>>
>>57145088
>atrocious
I wouldn't go that far. I hate the fact that they changed the keyboard but the current ThinkPad's chicklets are much better than anything else out there right now, imo.
>>
>>57145088
Chiclet actually feels nice to type on.
>>
>>57142621
Having different modes is retarded, even mircroshit realized that with 10.
Just use KDE like the rest of us and move on with your life.
>>
>>57146075
No, having one UI that tries to be both is retarded.
>>
>>57146082
It doesn't need to be both
It just needs to support touch input so you can poke at your screen with your micropenis like an imbecile.
>>
>>57143252
No. Theming on cinnamon is incredibly difficult.
>>
>>57146104
It needs t have a touch friendly UI when it's in tablet mode, touch friendly UIs generally don't work well as traditional UIs, hence two separate modes.
>u have a tiny dick xDDD
Nice projecting.
>>
>>57146188
No you actually have a small dick if you're talking about touch friendly UI
I'm willing to bet you're a faggot too
>>
>>57146188
I think even Apple has realized this which is one reason they haven't converged on iOS + macOS yet.
I think it can be done though. And I would think the freedom and flexibility of the Linux desktop and graphics subsystem in general would have lead to some interesting experiments by now.

The Windows 10 UI isn't that terrible for desktop/tablet hybrids but it could certainly be better.
>>
>>57146241
I'm a straight man with an above average penis size. Nice try though. I like how your only arguments are irrelevant personal attacks.
>>
>>57144537
I'd try it if it weren't for the fact that it's a Chinese botnet.
>>
>>57146343
yeah i don't know much about it, to be honest. sources?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.