[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw too stupid to use Linux as my main OS Windows just werks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1476739016089.jpg (46KB, 317x379px) Image search: [Google]
1476739016089.jpg
46KB, 317x379px
>tfw too stupid to use Linux as my main OS
Windows just werks and I don't really do anything with my computer that would require windows specifically but switching to Linux just seems so daunting when I have no idea what I'm doing
>>
>>57141221
But Linux just werks too?

Or at least it has on the distros I've tried.
>Ubuntu
>fedora
>solus
>tiny core plus
>>
>tfw too addicted to shitty mmorpgs to switch to linux
what do? i know i should end myself but i dont really want to
>>
>>57141261
Wine maybe?
>>
>>57141357
I tried playing GTA: San Andreas on Linux using Wine and the game did not even launch.
>>
>>57141221
Just install linux mint mate in a vm, and use it as much as possible. Unless you like games its less hassle in the long run (short term gets sone used to).
Need to update?
>Apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
You can still use all your apps and just reboot whenever you want without the 10min 'were setting up your pc'

Want to run a program? Just the same as windows-windows key+ name of app

Want to install something? Apt-get install X
Uninstall? Apt-get autoremove
Search for something? Apt-get cache X
Or you can just run .deb files which are like .exe in windows (but wont update via apt-get update)
Anything else?
>>
I used to have the same dillema I'm glad dual boot is a thing.

I use windows for steam then I switch back to arch.
>>
>>57141694
Maybe just get synaptics package manager?
>>
>>57141694
Actually that helps a lot. All I do on my computer now is read manga, watch anime, browse the internet, listen to music, and play the occasional SNES game in an emulator. I will try your suggestion, once I know how to do all the things you talked about and more I'll pretty much be set to use most kinds of linux, right?
>>
Some times I find my self needing windows for one thing or another.
But that isn't a problem because I have several os at my disposal.
You should get into linux for the sake of knowing linux, if you like it - you main it.
Plebs are the people that blindly follow trends instead of making informed choices.
>>
In my experience, Linux is good for developers and things like servers and enterprise systems because it gives the user a lot of control and opportunity for customisation.

A simple distribution (I'd recommend Xubuntu) would also work just fine for normies and old people, people who just browse the internet, check their email and stuff like that. In general they use less resources and are cheaper than Windows.

The thing is, it seems as though Linux is very stable if you don't fuck with it, and very unstable if you do. For a server or old person it's great because of things like less malware and it's not likely to fuck up, but if you're the sort of person who likes to constantly try out new software, or perhaps you're a gamer, then it's gonna fuck up eventually and will probably be harder to fix than any problem you'll have on Windows.

So in conclusion Linux is good for normie tier and full-on /g/-tier, but not so good if you're in between.
>>
Gaming VMs are actually pretty good thanks to iommu, you know?
Maybe you should give that a try.
>>
Ubuntu is fine for dumb fucks like you OP
>>
>>57141719
That is literally 90% of what casual linux users would do, the only thing with those commands is to add sudo at the front
E.g.
Sudo apt-get install lolcat
Sudo is basically administrator. Anything else should he easy to google, mint mate has a simplier ui than ubuntu but you can easily look up the same problem for ubuntu/debian and it'll work for you
>>
>>57141694
see, thats the problem with linux, because you don't even know the commands. search is apt-cache search X
>>
>>57141797
This. It's also fine for others as well, but once you learn enough of it you might want to try alternatives just to see what's so great about them.
>>
>>57141828
That's my fault? Linux didn't do anything, I don't even use the feature that much when I can use web browsers to look for different programmes and what they're like
>>
I use Manjaro as my main OS even though I know Windoze would just werk for most of the shit I do in my computer. In fact Windoze would probably work better for me in some ways, but I've grown to enjoy having features like actual package management, better security, a terminal that's actually fucking useful, window snapping, multiple desktops, etc.
>>
>>57141221
Linux is easier than windows in some cases. Last time I installed windows, I had to install a bunch of fucking drivers and shit just to get out of shit-tier 640x480 or whatever the fuck it was. On linux, it just werks. Even wireless drivers are pretty good now out of the box.
>>
>>57141910
What can't you do on powershell that you can on bash? Not to mention you can use bash in windows now...
>>
>>57141221
use a just werks distro, they're easy
>>
>>57142364
Have you ever used Powershell? It takes fucking forever to launch and it won't execute external programs unless you add them to a whitelist. Also, Bash has been around for a long time and its scripting capabilities are incredibly powerful.

And fuck Windows 10 and its spying bullshit. I refuse to support it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.