[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Business owner here, admitely another "startup". I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1385126344640.jpg (81KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
1385126344640.jpg
81KB, 940x627px
Business owner here, admitely another "startup". I have opened applications for a second backend programmer.

The program is a client facing server written entirely in python. As a result I want to create a "retard" quiz which will ensure the applicant has good knowledge of web technologies beofre the actual interview. I am not concerned about gaining a deep understanding of the programmer's technical skill through this quiz but knowledge that the programmer is a genuine coder who knows his stuff.

Below is the quiz. Thoughts?

explain what this code does
 print( re.sub(‘.$’, ‘’) ) 

There is a flat json file in the parent directory called settings.json
Finish the following function so it loads it and prints the «items_purchased» key
 def loaditems():

What is the output of the following code? :
 print ( 10 - (5*2) or 27 ) 

The following code works but has serious flaws.
Why is this code dangerous and how do you fix it?
(Feel free to use libraries, we do :)

query = ‘select * from `cars` where `ID` = %s;’ % user_input
result = sql_query(query)

Briefly explain the following items:
[md5 hash is detected as spam]

ERROR 503

SGVsbG8gOik=

CONNECT example.com:80 HTTP/1.0

%00

UTF-8

The following function runs when a user sends a message to the server. Describe as many issues as you can:

def onMessage(msg, isBinary):
user_input = msg
for client in rooms[self.room]:
client.send(user_input)

Thanks g.
>>
1. sub means substitute? Not sure replace all .$ in the variable re to nothing.
Import json
Import sys
Import is
File = open('settings.json').read()
Settings = json.loads(File)
Might be .dumps I can never remember
Print settings['items_purchased']
10-10 or 27
0 or 1
Import psycopg2
Cur = ....
SQL = 'select * from cars where ID = %s"
data = ( user_input, )
Cur.execute(SQL,data)

You have a table or file of md5 hashes identified as spam and this is your error message

Http error 503 has to do with an internal server error I think likely your CGI , php etc...

Some kind of hash?

Telnet command? Curl headers?

Idk

Chartset. Utf-8 has more characters than ASCII or something similar

I don't see the point of the user_input
I don't see the point of is binary if you aren't using IG
If this is part of a class / oop it should likely just be self.room not rooms[self.room]
>>
>>57141234
Soz .sub is for regex patterns fairly sure $ means end of line
Just looked it up
>>
>>57141234
>>57141248
You're not supposed to answer. I'm just asking if the questions are good to throw out dumbfucks with no real knowledge other than textbooks
>>
Recalling stuff like how to read a JSON file from memory is a bit strange. Documentation and built in libraries exists for a reason.

The others are actually pretty good, your onMessage function and the binary test look like the best things to filter out the decent stuff and the crap.

I run my own business too (not startup, don't get sucked in to VC...) and they are questions worth stealing.
Good luck with your hiring!
>>
>>57141304
>Recalling stuff like how to read a JSON file from memory is a bit strange. Documentation and built in libraries exists for a reason.

Two thoughts here. 100% of traffic in and out is JSON, 2 have a look here >>57141234 , he forgot to do any kind of safety checks / key checks etc.

Wouldn't hire him if he paid me
>>
>>57141304
>>57141329

Forgot to say: thanks for the feedback though
>>
When I see a test like this I tell the recruiter that they can't afford me solving it.

My open source project and contributions speak louder than this test ever could. Hire based on that or fuck off with wasting my time.
>>
>>57141375
>Hire based on that
I would and I would tell you to fuck off
>>
>>57141329
>>57141334
Happy to help a fellow anon out.

With a settings file people will always be lax on safety checks. That guy had no idea what he was doing at all.

Maybe just writing in JSON format to demonstrate knowledge of it and maybe an example code to debug which misses out key checks.

>>57141375
I would look at your open source projects, but if you won't even attempt to answer a test question then you will be a shitty team member.
Programmers are important and hard to find, but not so hard that I can't find someone better than you.

Team skills are just as important as techincal skills.
We struggled to hire a decent web programmer (Fucking node.js/webpack/react code school dropout hippies) so we found a student with no direct experience but great team skills and trained them instead.
Not as complex as python obviously, but you aren't that important.
>>
>>57141424
>That guy had no idea what he was doing at all.

Kek not wrong, I just noticed he didn't event manage to access the parent directory as stated in the JSON question. Tip top lel
>>
>>57140932
Another reason not work for people like this guy. Having to take bullshit puzzles and face an fucking mind-numbing interview.

The privilege to work as your property...no thanks. I'd rather develop software on my own.
>>
>>57141437
Yes this means that I don't understand how to open and read files in python entirely.

>>57141458
There is a difference between doing something on the side and doing something daily/ having to do stuff 'their' way.
>>
>>57141458
Your not someone that would apply for a job then, congratulations. But understand that some people want the stability and social enviroment.

Also stop pretending you are someone new >>57141375
>>
>>57141483
Not to mention exactly this new meme about training people in technology and muh team working. There is a whole different set of subjects based around decomposing big things into small things so people don't have to each other.
>>
>>57141498
*talk to each other
>>
>>57141424
Ah, because:
>print ( 10 - (5*2) or 27 )

shows how good of a team player I am. You don't want textbook dudes but you give out textbook questions.

>(Feel free to use libraries, we do :)
Smileys in the test, you really are a startup :)

I lead a team of 5 C# developers currently. When we fail to achieve something, I failed. When we nail something, we nailed it as a team. Your assumptions about me are as shit as your test, and if you took time to scroll through my github repo, you'd see the teamwork mentality you seek for in comments on issues, PRs and PR reviews.

But go ahead, waste the time of skilled developers, and watch more and more good devs leave the scene because they are all fed up with this interviewing mumbo-jumbo.

Your "startup :)" interviewery bullshit is the #1 reason it's hard to recruit devs. for a startup project.
>>
>>57141487
I am >>57141375 and >>57141523 but I AM NOT >>57141458

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks your test is shit and is discouraging devs to even apply. You have no idea how many interviews I walked away from when presented with such a test.

The best times are when I still get the job after clarifying that they called me and they need me more than I need them (I haven't applied for a job in the past 2 years, I'm really good at what I do and my name is out there).

Call me cocky, call me whatever you want. But one thing you can't deny, those tests are cancer when it comes to startup community, and devs. like me are chemo.
>>
>>57141523
>>57141561
I'm not OP. I run my own business and have to hire programmers.

Your really taking the opinions of someone on a Vietnamese rice paper drawings board quite seriously.

Those tests are great at culling out the pajeet tier trash. If you are a good programmer they should take you 5 minutes tops and you land any job you want.

Maybe you have been able to get them all without that so far - good job. But for a company they are a necessary evil to catch out liars and garbage.
>>
itt people getting tricked into doing some kid's homework for free
>>
>>57141487
>stability
Why in the world would anyone wanting stability even consider working at a startup?
>>
>>57141604
I was once invited as a lead MVC.Net dev to a startup, I shat my pants when I saw they didn't want to build some node.js/mongo/bongo MVP crap, but a fully scalable solution from ground up, that would be cheap to run in the beginning but easy to scale for millions of users one day (e.g. auto scale on azure wouldn't be enough, load balancer + multiple instances would do it).

Anyway, I'm super excited about the project (was involving a field near and dear to me, agriculture). I get there and the first test question is: You have IP1 and IP2 (imagine 2 random IPs) what's the minimum subnet mask you need for them to see each other.

Dropped the test in a hearth beat, turned around and left. Dragged 2 more devs with me, got shitfaced with them that day, and hacked together over the weekend one of the most funny projects I ever did in my life.

I'm still thankful for that interview. Made 2 awesome friends for life that day.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.