[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which single board computers are best for mostly software-related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Which single board computers are best for mostly software-related (ie: emulators, homebrew) side projects?

I've never really looked at this market before but I know it's dominated by the Raspberry Pi, which I'm led to believe is really just a meme.
>>
>>57138525
>I know it's dominated by the Raspberry Pi, which I'm led to believe is really just a meme.

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's this: go with the flow. If the RP is dominating the industry, then go with that.

There's no point in swimming against the stream. Going with the dominant platform means tons of sample code and accessories. Lots of people to answer questions.
>>
It's a very inexpensive and effective piece of hardware that has a lot of support. That's why it's widely used.
>>
>>57138525
theres nothing faster than raspi 3 atm

but a few of the other cheaper ones will have their uses if youre on a budget
>>
>>57138625
I can get a raspi 3 for $50 CDN.

Is there any reason for me to get a cheaper alternative if my goals don't really involve the hardware aspect in any way (no embedded IoT tomfoolery)?
>>
>>57138673
if they dont involve hardware at all then no, raspi 3 afaik is the fastest

that being said since you dont know much about it, its safe to get 1 raspi, make something then cut off what you dont need.
>>
>>57138673
Not really, most of them are only useful for embedded or simple devices, prototyping etc. Raspi 3 would be your best bet.
>>
>>57138525
The computer you already have you fucking faggot. Why do you need to buy a separate hipster chip to do your shitty projects?
>>
>>57138525
> emulators, homebrew
Run that on the same X86_64 box you're also developing them on.

Doesn't need an extra single board computer.
>>
>>57138540
Good experience, especially for a novice.

If you get into this sort of thing, you'll naturally gain experience and figure out what it is specifically you're looking for, then you can find whichever unheard of single-board computer fits you.

Since the barrier of entry is so low for this type of hobby, it just makes sense to go with the flow and get what is most widely supported and understood before attempting to move somewhere else
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.