[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok people, I got pic related for cheap. Will come with a Win

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: asus-x205.jpg (23KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
asus-x205.jpg
23KB, 500x416px
Ok people, I got pic related for cheap.
Will come with a Win 8.1 x32 installed.

Would be I able to:
Upgrade it to Win 10 x64 and once i got the license and all,
Able to try some Linux on it?

I'm looking also on advice for a friendly Linux distro.
I mean, we Wincucks need to be hold by the hand... r-right guys?

Thanks for all your input
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57136072
I don't even know where to begin actually
>>
I have exactly this laptop, windows 10 works but you do have to fix wireless drivers, download all the drivers from Asus website (also for other windows versions) and try until it works, I'm using Win 8.1 driver on Win 10 now.

I would not recommend Linux, it has a lot of driver issues (wireless, sound, touchpad) and it's a bit of a hassle to even install it. Check the arch wiki about it if you want.
>>
File: 1447663751722.jpg (315KB, 770x642px) Image search: [Google]
1447663751722.jpg
315KB, 770x642px
>>57135907
>thinking about "ubgrading" to winshit10
sweet lord i'm scared for you
>>
If there are win10 drivers for that model, you can ypgrade it. Otherwise some of the hardware might not work or work well.

Pick a linux distro, try it out. Most of them should work. But again, if it's missing drivers some hardware might not work.
>>
>>57136125
Oh but 64bit won't work on it, even though the CPU is 64bit the rest isn't. Windows 10 32bit is your best option.
>>
>>57136171
Ok thanks,
wow that sucks donkey's D.
Ok that's not a problem since there's little RAM, but anyway
>>
File: DSC_0408.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0408.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>57136215
Good luck with it.

If you want to try a Linux distribution on another computer, use Ubuntu at first to get used to it btw.
>>
>>57136372
Thanks
Anyway will first try to get Win 10. I know the free upgrade is overdue tho, is there any workaround?
I mean, they seems like they wanted even bycicles running on Win 10, can I still change it?
>>
>>57135907
You're probably going to have to disable secure boot first before you can boot another OS. It's a chore so I'd start with that.
>>
>>57136974
K thanks for the advice
>>
>>57136852
Yeah, look up Windows 10 assistive upgrade, it's a legit loophole.
>>
>>57135907
I actually have one of these. Running Arch Linux with XFCE, haven't gotten around to configuring it.

I was running Xubuntu on it just fine before this as well. The only thing that doesn't work is audio, but they're making progress.

Just like >>57136125 said, check the Arch Wiki. You'll need to mess around with GRUB since Asus decided to use a 32bit EFI for a 64bit CPU.
>>
>>57136171
Lol. I raged for like 4 hours trying to figure out wtf was wrong when I tried to upgrade my tf100. Fuck Asus... We had 64bit chips back in like 2004. For Asus to not think things through in 2013 is ridiculous. Sure, the things are all limited to 2gb of ram, but I don't want to keep multiple versions of software around when everything else I use runs the 64bit version.
>>
Actually the cpu is 64 bit, but the uefi only boots 32 bits images because intel jews. Install rEFInd, it's the only bootloader that works
>>
File: 01f.jpg (335KB, 676x485px) Image search: [Google]
01f.jpg
335KB, 676x485px
>>57138275
Yep, goggle'd it. IMHO they want that Win10 push still going. Pic related mfw they find out.

>>57141180
thanks will investigate on this
>>
>>57135907
I had the same one until I lost it to water damage while traveling, I replaced it with an HP stream 11 which turned out to be better in every way: It's exactly the the same hardware but better keyboard, better touchpad, mate screen, no undeletable recovery partition, no weird 32 bit bootloader that makes that makes building a bootable linux image a pain. You might need to upgrade the wifi drivers on some models (it's well documented) but that's it. Last time I checked the x205 even lacked sound drivers for linux. Imo you might want go look intro the stream instead.
>>
>>57136113
begin by downloading the livedvd
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.